SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Been wondering about wifi/bt connected home appliances...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Been wondering about wifi/bt connected home appliances... Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
To each his own and it’s great that we are technologically advanced enough—not to mention rich enough—to design, build, and afford home appliances that can be controlled remotely and will talk to us, but I personally cannot imagine the appeal of something that’s more expensive and prone to malfunctions, both directed and due to entropy, for the convenience of its telling me, “Hey, your wash is finished,” because I am out in the garden and don’t want to use something like a timer to remind me, or to just walk back in periodically to check its progress.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
As a rule, I´m also a KISS Principle fan.
Wondered what whas the whole point of integrating this and that to a phone or voice controlled network and how far is this working in the practical field.

We´re seing, down here, that you can buy these Google speakers/assistant thingies but I wonder if they even speak spanish (not that i care) since the common man around me doesn´t read manuals, doesn´t speak english and even gets upset when stuff made abroad doesn´t speak his own language (main reason why I insist on vacationing where people don´t speak spanish).

I have an old network connected TV that I don´t take advantage of. It has a Chromecast that I enjoy exclusively with my niece´s account and other than that is all computers and phones.

Maybe someone figured out a good reason why the toaster should chat with the washing machine and that would change our lives forever... Maybe it´s just Skynet pulling the strings.

Thank you all for your valuable points of view.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post