SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Granddaughter got an iPad for her birthday.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Granddaughter got an iPad for her birthday. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Guess who called me on FaceTime 48 times tonight? Big Grin

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Cherish every single one of the calls! Remember when we were young and mom would only let us say hi and bye to grandma since long distance was so damn expensive...

Posts: 1987 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
grand daughter? I still remember when I sent a N64 controller to you for your toddler son...either time flies or I'm losing my mind from old age.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:

mom would only let us say hi and bye to grandma since long distance was so damn expensive...
I remember those days.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
grand daughter? I still remember when I sent a N64 controller to you for your toddler son...either time flies or I'm losing my mind from old age.
I’m pretty sure that thing still works.

It’s my step daughter’s daughter. Smile

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I got my daughter an iPad so we could FaceTime with our two granddaughters, 5 and 2.
I try to answer their FaceTime calls on my Mac rather than the iPhone, because I can record both audio and video of the call. You can't record audio on iPhone FaceTime calls without a third-party app.

Fortunately the granddaughters don't yet know how to initiate calls, otherwise we would quickly exceed your 48.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Got my daughter and mother in law iPads. Since we live a few states apart, it's great for them to Facetime each other. It's actually a part of my daughters morning routine while she's brushing her teeth, granny brushes her teeth too.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I am sick and tired of viewing the inner net on my Android phone,
Is an I pad what I should get ?

I have no computer or web service.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is an I pad what I should get ?

Link to Samsung Galaxy S8 Tablets

If you are used to android there are several android based tablets that basically would do the same for you as far as email and internet viewing.

Ipads are good at that as well, we got my dad one, it's a refurb and he uses it constantly for internet, text, email and a few other apps you can find older versions for less money, or refurbs on Apples web page.

Either work well for doing what you want..... Just depends on what you are used to using...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

If I am sick and tired of viewing the inner net on my Android phone, Is an I pad what I should get ?
If you have friends who have these, try to get a demo of both Android tablet, and iPad. If you don't have personal access, maybe go to a store that sells both and compare. Costco sells both, and your cell phone provider probably sells both types.

I played with both before buying and found the iPad to be much better for my use, but that's personal preference.

If you're a veteran, Apple has some good deals on their re-furbs, with additional military / veteran discount.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would I need to get an additional cell phone plan for it to work ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Would I need to get an additional cell phone plan for it to work ?

Only if you want a cellular model that works separate from your phone - no wifi needed. I have an IPad that uses WiFi only but I can use my iPhone as a mobile hotspot if I’m out with it.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A large part of the advantage of the Apple ecosystem over Android is the connectivity between iPhone and iPad. Same apps, can easily transfer data from one to another. Copy something on the iPhone, paste it on the iPad (or Mac). Music apps of course carry over too; photos easily flow from one to the other.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post