SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Bear Thread w/ Pics
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Bear Thread w/ Pics Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
So headed home from the girlfriend's house the other night, was such a nice night decided to take a drive up to Eagle River Nature Center, 10 miles up the road from my house. On the way back looking at the bank on the side of the road, I thought, "Why is that bush moving? HOLY SHIT IT'S A BEAR!"

Got a couple of crappy cell phone pics wishing I had my DSLR with me. Next morning I thought, "I wonder if she's still out there?" Grabbed my camera, hopped in the Jeep and drove out again. She did not disappoint.

Amazing experience, I was able to sit there for an hour and watch her wander the hillside and munch on a breakfast buffet of dandelions. Zero fucks given on her part that I was there. When she started to move down the bank I decided it was my time to leave and I moved as well. All shots taken with a Nikon D7500 and 200-500mm zoom lens from the driver's seat of the Jeep with the engine idling. I'm not making the headlines of, "Eagle River Resident Mauled by Bear, Remains found in Bear Scat"

Teeth

Nom, nom, nom, nom...

Head On

On the move

Broad Shoulders

Lumbering

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on the hump behind the head, I'm guessing that it's a grizzly?

Posts: 1811 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

Yep, she's a Brown Bear.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Great shots!

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You mean you didn’t want out to do a selfie with it for your social medias? Big Grin

Great pics! Beautiful animal.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My little encounter with a California Black Bear over Memorial Day weekend can't hold a candle to your big girl. I went out to the driveway to see if our AirBnB had a bear-proof garbage bin. Didn't find a bear box, but I did run into a bear.

Strolled past me about 20 feet away, bearly (Wink) acknowledging my presence. By the time I retrieved my iPhone, it was already on its way to the next yard.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Alaska Brown bear and Grizzly bears are not exactly the same. Brown bears are much larger. I am not a bear expert. But have seen lower 48 griz and they do not look like that.
Beautiful but devastating creatures.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19772 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Interesting factoid, the level of aggressiveness goes grizzly > brown bear > black bear. Number of humans killed by a black bear in California recorded history: 1, and it happened less than a year ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
This bear's repeating...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Alaska Brown bear and Grizzly bears are not exactly the same. Brown bears are much larger. I am not a bear expert. But have seen lower 48 griz and they do not look like that.
Beautiful but devastating creatures.

Cue Cliff Claven; Well to get really technical by species they are all Brown Bears, but there are differences based on geography. Coastal Brown Bears tend to be a lot bigger feeding off salmon, clams and other things. Grizzlies are still Brown Bears and the geographic distinction is being 75 miles inland. They are smaller, have the, "Grizzled" appearance and tend to eat more roots, berries, scavenge, etc. Then you have the Kodiaks, sill Brown Bears but they are HUGE and have been cut off for something like 10,000 years from mainland bears and have evolved differently.

Then you have the attitude, the big coastal browns are big, fat and happy. That's one reason people are able to be so close to them in places like Katmai National Park. Then you have Grizzlies which are like the homeless population on meth; always hungry and very unpredictable.

Shot of a young Coastal Brown Bear I took in Lake Clark National Park a couple of years ago.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics and experience, thanks for sharing. Bears are incredible creatures.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Great pictures of a magnificent animal, from a distance, 2000Z!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Awesome shots and a beautiful critter! Very cool that she cooperated and stuck around for you to come back with the big camera!

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I love bears.....from a distance. Big Grin

Though if I get the opportunity to safely do so, I will boop the snoot.

Awesome pics!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16232 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gP92j-uEnps?si=2YEkSTNZdv7GHqaj" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

classic

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, and beautiful animal. It appears as if she has been munching on more than dandelions. Smile

Posts: 842 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Even with a zoom lens from inside an idling vehicle, I would have had a serious pucker factor going.

Posts: 6580 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:

Yep, she's a Brown Bear.

I'm sorry. Perhaps my reading comprehension is lacking.

Grizzly is a subset of Brown bear? Is this particular bear just a Brown bear and not a Grizzly? I thought Grizzlies had a much broader and flatter face.

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
great pics!

Russ:
quote:

Brown and grizzly bears are classified as the same species even though there are notable differences between them. Kodiak bears (brown bears from the Kodiak Archipelago) are classified as a distinct subspecies (U. a. middendorffi) from those on the mainland (U. a. horribilis) because they have been isolated from other bears since the last ice age about 12,000 years ago. “Brown bears” typically live along the southern coast of the state where they have access to seasonally abundant spawning salmon. The coastal areas also provide a rich array of vegetation they can use as food as well as a milder climate. This allows them to grow larger and live in higher densities than their “grizzly” cousins in the northern and interior parts of the state. To minimize confusion, this report uses the term “brown bear” to refer to all members of Ursus arctos.

The brown bear resembles its close relatives the black bear (U. americanus) and the polar bear (U. maritimus). Brown bears are usually larger than black bears, have a more prominent shoulder hump, less prominent ears, and longer, straighter claws. Polar bears are similar in size to coastal brown bears, but are more streamlined, lacking the hump. The varying shapes of these bears are adaptations to their particular life styles. Long claws are useful in digging roots or excavating small mammals, but are not efficient for climbing trees. The musculature and bone structure of the hump are adaptations for digging and for attaining bursts of speed necessary for capture of moose or caribou. Color is not a reliable key in differentiating these bears because black and brown bears have many color phases and polar bears may have stained fur. For example, black bear fur may be black, brown, reddish or even shades of grey and white, while brown bear colors range from dark brown through very light blond.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/in...?adfg=brownbear.main

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post