SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Split-tire bicycle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Split-tire bicycle Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This came up in my youtube suggestions, don't know why. Maybe because it's come up in everyone's suggested vids- it's gotten 36 million views in a week. So, you may have already seen this, but...

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Odd & probably costlier than just replacing the wheel.
But, some interesting innovation.

Would be curious to see it pushed harder & see how it holds up.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Interesting. And interesting that some people think like that and pursue their idea. That was not an easy job.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yes, my brother sent me that this morning.

Not practical obviously, but quite innovative. Looks like it shouldn't work, but the math checks out.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I had never seen that before. Pretty impressive.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
yeah got that as well, crazy stuff folks come up with, now if he can devise a practical reason for it then he'd make some money.

Not that it needs a good practical reason.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's all good until the chain derails or breaks...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Odd & probably costlier than just replacing the wheel.

No, replacing the wheel would have been a LOT more costly, considering this video is gererating a LOT of money. Smile

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
No, replacing the wheel would have been a LOT more costly, considering this video is gererating a LOT of money. Smile

Curious, how much money is it making... How do they calculate the ROV...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There are no ads on the video so unless he's sponsored by the bike manufacturer or the manufacturers of the parts and tools featured in the video, he's not making anything off the video despite the high view count. You need ads or sponsors (or other venues like a merch store/3rd party subscription service) in order to get paid for your video.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Bodge, but a tremendous bodge.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Answer to a question nobody asked.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Interesting bike idea. I hadn't seen orange peel welding in a loooong time.

BTW, they're monetizing this video.
  • The channel has nearly 13 millions subscribers.
  • It's not the first video that's gone viral (~37M views so far) for this channel. They have 24 videos with between 37M and 423M views.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of RichardC
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by pbslinger:
    Answer to a question nobody asked.
    Smile Wink Who asked you? Wink Smile

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peace through
    superior firepower
    Picture of parabellum
    posted Hide Post
    I'm just interested in the concept, not who's getting paid.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    paradox in a box
    Picture of frayedends
    posted Hide Post
    I’m missing something. Didn’t the front wheel bust going up a curb? Not sure how this fixes that problem.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    I have to admire this. I expected a "kludge," but there is nothing "kludged" about it. Those are some mad metal fabrication and design skillz. The split rear wheel halves have to be perfectly measured and synchronized to rotate in time to rotate smoothly without four "bumps" per revolution. And that is a very well equipped workshop.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    And he did it all in six minutes! Eek

It actually took a good deal of trial and error over, I'm guessing, at least a month.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Baroque Bloke
    Picture of Pipe Smoker
    posted Hide Post
    Reminds me of this thing. Despite being non circular, it has constant diameter. You could put several “logs” with this shape to roll a heavy flat object along, just as well as circular logs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...ve_of_constant_width

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    I suspect it would have issues dealing with a step up of more than an inch or so.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post