SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nitrogen tank explosion at Beechcraft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nitrogen tank explosion at Beechcraft Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Likely a pressure bleed valve was stuck.

“A nitrogen tank explosion at a Beechcraft aircraft manufacturing facility in Kansas has left about a dozen people injured.

The explosion at the facility in Wichita was reported at about 8am on Friday.

At least a dozen people are believed to have been injured in the explosion that saw part of the building collapse.

Photos of the scene show extensive damage to the facility, as well as steam rising from a collapsed building.

A four-inch natural gas line was severed during the explosion.

The cause of the blast is under investigation…”

https://mol.im/a/7830723

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Straight up 8 Am, I'm walking into my office 3+ miles from the plant and hear and feel the explosion. Fortunately, skeleton crew as the plant was off for the holidays.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
holy crap - Beech has enough problems, now this...

wonder if the system was part of a nitrogen plant owned by Beech or if it was owned by a vendor such as Praxaire or Air Liquide

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53785 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
How did Nitrogen explode? It's not flammable. Maybe the tank was over pressurized?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
How did Nitrogen explode? It's not flammable. Maybe the tank was over pressurized?

I'm guessing this was liquid nitrogen and the cooling system failed. Normally there would be a vent pipe to direct that, but once any part of the volume of nitrogen gets over -196C it all boils off into a gas. Rapidly.

Just something to consider the next time you're shoved into a nitrogen-cooled MRI, for instance.

I'm curious for some of our members to help us understand what you would be using nitrogen for in that environment???

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12668 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I'm curious for some of our members to help us understand what you would be using nitrogen for in that environment???

Nitrogen is used to pressurize the autoclave for curing prepreg composites, as the heated prepreg epoxy/carbon structure is flammable during the elevated T&P cure.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:

Nitrogen is used to pressurize the autoclave for curing prepreg composites, as the heated prepreg epoxy/carbon structure is flammable during the elevated T&P cure.

And tires Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14144 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

See my leading comment in my OP.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
And tires

Just a drop or two.

I knew the expansion ratio was big, but you made me look that up. just under 700 as a gas vs. liquid. Yeah, that'll look just like an explosion!

Posts: 12668 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Closed for the holidays but over a dozen people injured? Hmmm....

Posts: 9251 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm guessing this was liquid nitrogen and the cooling system failed. Normally there would be a vent pipe to direct that, but once any part of the volume of nitrogen gets over -196C it all boils off into a gas. Rapidly.

Just something to consider the next time you're shoved into a nitrogen-cooled MRI, for instance.

Welding. Especially with aluminum or stainless/titanium

Posts: 3390 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

<snip>

Not rapidly. A company I used to work for used a lot of liquid nitrogen. It was stored in a large insulated tank. There was no mechanical refrigeration system for it. The nitrogen was just allowed to boil off. The phase change from the liquid state to the gas state takes a LOT of energy:

Latent Heat of Vaporization of Nitrogen is 2.7928 kJ/mol.

www.nuclear-power.net/nitrogen...vaporization-fusion/

Serious about crackers

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm curious for some of our members to help us understand what you would be using nitrogen for in that environment???[/QUOTE]

Welding. Especially with aluminum or stainless/titanium[/QUOTE]

That would mostly be Argon or Helium or a mixture of the two although it is used to purge inside stainless pipe too.

Posts: 9795 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:...

It's used to keep the Dry Ice from subliming at altitude and depleting the oxygen.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44456 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:...

It's used to keep the Dry Ice from subliming at altitude and depleting the oxygen.

That’s a Payne.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:

The plant that had the explosion housed composite manufacturing and experimental aircraft fabrication.

Link to Local paper on the event: Beech Explosion

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post