SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need help from the brain trust on photos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help from the brain trust on photos Login/Join 
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted
I have never been good with photoshop type skills. Here's what I want to do:

I want to combine 2 images to make one image. Image 1 on the left and Image 2 on the right. It's two side by side aerial photos that I want to combine to make one large aerial photo. I've done it before but I'm not firing on all 8 cylinders today.

I am running an iMac with the default Preview Image software. I also have the Intensify software.

Thanks in advance.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6167 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In Photoshop, I would simply increase the Canvas size of image 1 to accomodate the width of image 2, then drag image 2 onto the canvas of image 1, align the images, flatten the image and crop/tweak as desired.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
When I increase the size of Image 1, it stretches it out of proportion to fill in the new size.

Posts: 6167 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It may be that whatever software you're using does not utilize layers. I can tell you about Photoshop, but that's it.

'Canvas' refers to the base layer of the image, underneath the image itself.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. I will continue to fiddle with it.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I do that in Page. Crop one image, lay it over the other, take a screen capture, crop the screen capture.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
When I increase the size of Image 1, it stretches it out of proportion to fill in the new size.

That's because in Photoshop the canvas is what the image is on, not the image itself. Imagine a photo on a sheet of paper that is the same size. Now make the the sheet of paper larger, but the photo remains the same size.

Now you can put the other photo on the paper & move to line them up.

This is what Para was saying.

Preview on the Mac does not allow for this, nor does Photos (I believe).

You may want to get Pixelmator - I think it costs about $15 & will do what you want. It does about 90% or so of what Photoshop does.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am running an iMac with the default Preview Image software. I also have the Intensify software.

For OS X, consider GraphicConverter. It will do what you want easily, and many many more things. It is not a Photoshop substitute. The license is $40 and well worth it for a mature program (25 years or so on Macs). It is updated often and the German author is very responsive to input and suggestions.

Posts: 10876 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may not be exactly what you are looking for but snapseed just added the feature you are talking about. The app also works with raw files.

Snapseed is a phone editing app by google. They keep adding features and it works very well.

Edit: in snapseed it's called double exposure and is toward the bottom on the left side. Disregard, i now realize what you are asking. This feature overlays photos not combining them side by side.

Posts: 540 | Location: Washington | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
As Para said, you need a way to increase canvas size. Think of it as a painting on canvas. 1/2 of the canvas will display pic 1 and the other side will contain pic 2. I'll generate an imge of the idea.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
This is a canvas extended to accept other elements or images. Once you find a way to access this ability or function, you'll be good.

canvas example

These are photos of the Mandan Village on the Missouri near Ft. Abe Lincoln.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Angus, If you send me the photos, I would be happy to do it for you.

Mike

Posts: 2044 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Woodman,

Thanks, That's how I did it. I think that's how I did it the last time. Confused

Mike,

Thanks very much for your offer. That is very kind of you.

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Let me know. hammertime57@gmail.com

quote:
Woodman,

Thanks, That's how I did it. I think that's how I did it the last time. Confused

Mike,

Thanks very much for your offer. That is very kind of you.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If you have access to a PC you can do it easily with Microsoft's Image Composite Editor - ICE (free to download).
I did a panorama with 18 frames I shot with a 35mm camera 40 years ago and scanned to digital last year.
As long as there is some overlap of pieces of the image from one photo to the other, it will line them up and assemble the composite.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16634 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post