SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Problem with gmail regarding mail forwarding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with gmail regarding mail forwarding Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I've had my primary gmail account since the days where you had to have an "invite" to register with them and just recently I've noticed an uptick of spam type messages making it into my inbox, including some legitimate messages, including one from a medical clinic that likely violated HIPAA of the intended recipient.

What seems to be happening is a different email account controlled by another person with the same name, has set up email forwarding from their account to mine.

my address is my first and last name together @gmail.com.

The account these emails are coming from is the same first and last name but with the addition of a period between the two names. That is not an account I have registered or have access too.

I realize I can just block that account but I am wondering if there is a better option than that to actually break the association?

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Maybe reply to them and point this out? If it's some sort of phishing exercise just ignore whatever happens next, but if it's a legit mistake they will correct.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12436 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I have this same issue. I get a lot of a guy in Ohio's very private and sensitive emails because his wife doesn't know his email address (I know this because I was finally able to get ahold of them when I started getting their mortgage documents and they were wondering why they weren't getting signed.) Still didn't change anything as I still get his stuff and she still uses his wrong email address when she signs him up for stuff.

The problem is Gmail doesn't recognize periods in their email address. Joe.Smith@gmail.com is the same as Joesmith@gmail.com is the same as j.o.e.s.m.i.t.h@gmail.com.

Overall it's nice to own your name, but it doesn't help when:
a. legitimate people don't know their email address.
b. random spammers send emails out to random name combinations and some end up routed to you.

look at this link for more info

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It may be that some places with which the name-with-period individual registered their email address either missed the period (if it was given verbally), or the software they're using removed it from the email address. (I actually had one system do that with a tagged email address I gave them, converting username+tag@example.com to usernametag@example.com.)

I would attempt to email the individual in question regarding the apparently legitimate ones.

quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
The problem is Gmail doesn't recognize periods in their email address. Joe.Smith@gmail.com is the same as Joesmith@gmail.com is the same as j.o.e.s.m.i.t.h@gmail.com.

That seems highly unlikely to me. Do you have some proof of this?

ETA: I'll be damned. You're right. I just tested it. That's totally brain-dead

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If GMAIL doesn't recognize periods within an address then why would they register both? Confused

Seems they created the problem and a big one at that, IMO. Eek

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
If GMAIL doesn't recognize periods within an address then why would they register both? Confused

They sure did. That's just broken. Not just a little >< broken, either. That's badly broken.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

They sure did. That's just broken. Not just a little >< broken, either. That's badly broken.

While it's definitely monumentally dumb that they don't recognize periods, they say that they won't allow you to register different versions:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
While it's definitely monumentally dumb that they don't recognize periods, they say that they won't allow you to register different versions:

It's great they do that, but, not only is it monumentally dumb, but it's a violation of the email RFCs. (RFCs define the various Internet standards.)

The only punctuation they ought to be parsing for the purposes of delivery is the "+" sign, which is used for recipient email tagging.

<looks to make sure he's on firm footing...>

Ok, I'm not correct on the above. If I'm reading the relevant RFCs correctly, mail systems can now use whatever they want for "user:detail" separators? It's not limited to "+"?

Still: I don't believe it's RFC-compliant to simply remove "."s from email addresses and deliver to the result.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still: I don't believe it's RFC-compliant to simply remove "."s from email addresses and deliver to the result.

You can tweet Sundar Pichai and let him know LOL

Link

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
GMail, and many other e-mail providers, treat a dot (.) in the user portion of the e-mail address as an optional character, it does not affect the mailbox to which the message is directed. So the addresses fname.lname@gmail.com and fnamelname@gmail.com are equivalent (within the frame of reference represented by GMail). And yes, Google did allow registration of both "usernames" at one time, although the last I checked this was no longer the case. IIRC, MS365 also ignores a dot in the username, but has never allowed "dual" registration. One of my customers had a policy that staff maintained addresses of this form on their internal mail server (Postfix+Cyrus IMAP), worked fine. The users started getting non-corporate email accounts and, of course, they wanted the same user name. All hell broke loose before we understood the issue. WRT the issue of "RFC compliant," it has been a few decades since I researched this issue, but I believe it is not addressed in RFC-822 (which originally defined the syntax of an Internet e-mail message headers), but was revised and addressed in RFC-5322 where is is explicitly allowed, with a notation that treatment as a separator (or choosing to ignore it) is up to the recipient. Note that addresses that are sent to ALL-CAPS are usually treated similarly.

Generally speaking, using punctuation characters in an e-mail address is poor practice. This is because these characters often have "special" meaning to the e-mail software (or legacy e-mail routing), and/or the operating systems on which e-mail systems run. The sole exception is the "+" character which can be quite useful as noted by my learned colleague above. An address of the form myname+folder@some.server.host will often be deposited in inbox/folder on myname's account (depending on the mail server software used, and how it is configured, most of the widely-used server software packages understand and honor this syntax). It is not the case that punctuation characters are not allowed, but that, if used, they must be quoted using a mechanism understood by the recipient (server, not user).

And remember, "e-mail address" and "account" are not the same thing, one being a message destination the other being an authentication token/identifier. There is no reason, other than for the convenience of the user, and the poor over-worked system administrator for them to hold the same value.

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
ok, so I was wrong in my assessment of what is going in... It isn't that mail is being forwarded from the fname.lname@gmail.com account, it is that the account doesn't really exist as Google says it is the SAME account as my fnamelname@gmail.com

Soooooo, there isn't anything to be done except to contact the senders of the legitimate emails to have them change their on-file address and block the rest of the emails as they come in.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
Ah....the Google Dot deal.

Most of the Covid-19 fraud was done with this technique.

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post