SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The venerable potato: how do you like to spud?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The venerable potato: how do you like to spud? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Mashed with a brown gravy.

Or au gratin.

"Mashed with a brown gravy." Interesting it took so long for that entry. I'd a thunk that was a favorite of just about everyone. Certainly one of mine.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a chip. Pringles or Cape Cod. I really like potato chips.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
quote:
Originally posted by Thumperbfc:

My potato salad will change your life.

Change. Your. Life.

Strong words.
How's about a recipe to back them up? Wink

The recipe doesn’t really exist.... it’s always slightly different but the foundation is heavily seasoned cooking water plus a cream cheese/sour cream base, not mayo.

Boil cut up red and golds in a heavily season water (garlic onion salt pepper and some red wine vinegar)

Soften a pound of cream cheese then combine with some sour cream. Work in some ore garlic powder and salt, dried rosemary, dry mustard.

Combine potatoes and cream mixture.

It produces a heavenly thick, rich, decadent cold salad.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

Holy crap, he wasn't stranded alone! What bullshit is this?!!

Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Anytime I start the smoker and if I have room I will throw a bag of red taters on. Toss in olive oil I use a chili infused oil and then season them. Smoke them until nearly soft all the way through. Cool and then bag and put them in the fridge.

Slice and dice as needed then fry for breakfast taters. You can thank me later!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8534 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Tried the first recipe linked in here. Pretty damn good, crunchy on the top, soft and tender for the rest of it. I did add fresh thyme to the rosemary since I lack the ability to follow a recipe without changing it somehow.

Since I had cut too many herbs I also went ahead and made some thyme, rosemary, garlic infused EVOO which will be yummy on something.

The potato was paired with a Cesar salad (bagged store bought), flat iron steak that was grilled in pouring rain, and a bread stick. All came out lovely.

Thanks for the thread/recipe.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
(Large) Bite size bits of bacon and onions on the bottom of a pot with EVOO and butter. (Large) bite size chunks of potato (I like the yukon gold). Cover and sautee/simmer over med-low heat.

The bacon cooks and the onions sweat - the moisture steams the potatoes. When all is done and the bacon is crisp and the onions are caramelized, mix it all up and serve.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12732 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Made this Hash Browns Casserole last night. It was freaking awesome. I left out the corn flakes because I didn't want them to get soggy. Huge amount of food so I knew we'd be eating leftovers. Don't think I missed anything by leaving it out.

The one change I did make was to cover half in bacon crumbles. This is where shit gets really weird. My whole life is currently upside down, not sure if I need a priest, a doctor or a shrink. Every man knows this simple equation. X plus bacon = better X. I thought this was no different than Conservation of Mass, an infallible truth. Bacon did not improve the side with bacon, that is not a typo, it made zero improvement to flavor. It did add a tiny bit of crunch, but we both decided not worth the effort.

This will now be a staple in our house, especially for football games. Cheap and easy yummy side. Note it took way longer than 40 min to cook. I cooked it for 1:10 at 350ish (oven sucks).

Extra steak pic, because who doesn't like looking at a steak?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Small cubes, pan fried with olive oil, garlic, onions, rosemary and thyme until browned and crispy.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
quote:
Originally posted by Thumperbfc:

My potato salad will change your life.

Change. Your. Life.

Strong words.
How's about a recipe to back them up? Wink

The recipe doesn’t really exist.... it’s always slightly different but the foundation is heavily seasoned cooking water plus a cream cheese/sour cream base, not mayo.

Boil cut up red and golds in a heavily season water (garlic onion salt pepper and some red wine vinegar)

Soften a pound of cream cheese then combine with some sour cream. Work in some ore garlic powder and salt, dried rosemary, dry mustard.

Combine potatoes and cream mixture.

It produces a heavenly thick, rich, decadent cold salad.

years ago a place in Charlottesville (Wayside Deli/Durty Nellies) had a 3 potato potato salad,

sweet potato, and 2 types of white, (no idea what) with a thick, creamy, but sparse mixins,

never was able to get the recipe,or find one similar, and they stopped making it maybe 10 yrs ago,

it was fantastic with a Hot Italian sub, and cold beer after a Service Rifle Match

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I just thought I liked potatoes. An Aussie lived healthy on only mashed, baked or boiled potatoes for a whole year! His weight, blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol went down in the process.
Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
As of late I’ve been doing a small baked potato with 4-5 sunny side eggs on top for breakfast.

It’s fantastic, especially if you work the potato flesh with a fork first to get it nice and fluffy. Soaks the goal right up.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I cut an Idaho baker lengthwise into 4 or 6 long wedges, put them in a bowl with olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and rosemary, then grill them on my BGE just before doing the steak. Takes about 20 minutes, turning fairly regularly, but with more time spent with the skin side down, than the open sides of the wedges.

Serve with butter or sour cream. Delicious. I'm going to try some of the recipes in here, too.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If there's a way to prepare potatoes that I don't like, I'm not aware of it.

My step-Mom's idea of potato pancakes (leftover mashed potatoes made into patties and fried in butter) comes close, but even those are better than no potatoes.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
My favorite is a well baked sweet potato, with some butter and a little salt.

None of that brown sugar, marshmallows, etc. for me. Perhaps because I'm a type 1 Diabetic...

Sweet potatoes need not apply.

/Fistbump

A man after my own heart.
Me, too, on the sweet potatoes. I like white potatoes many ways:
1. sliced into rounds and pan fried.
2. french fried
3. baked--no toppings except a little salt
4. mashed, with brown gravy

No garlic or cheese involved in any of those.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My standard saying is that a good meal is “meat and potatoes”. Need I say anything else. I like all cooking variations.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
If there's a way to prepare potatoes that I don't like, I'm not aware of it.

My step-Mom's idea of potato pancakes (leftover mashed potatoes made into patties and fried in butter) comes close, but even those are better than no potatoes.

Actually my wife does this and they are very good. We add sour cream on top and I add hot sauce. Sometimes it's cheese and onions on top or left over gravy. Use your imagination and it's a good way to deal with leftover mashed spuds.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Standard variety potatoes are good just about any way you can make them.

If I'm going to eat a plain potato however, I prefer sweet potatoes that are refrigerated after being nuked. One of my secret weapons for snacks.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Baked sweet potato split covered with white* cream gravy with lots of fresh ground black pepper.
White cream gravy noted, because around here brown gravy, country, seems to be the norm, even on chicken fried steak!
Until we first moved to Mass. in0 my teens, I never had heard of brown gravy, or any dressing other than cornbread.

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
Generally I like them best shot out of a PVC tube at high velocity.

I believe that recipe is called 'Yeet Potatoes'.

For myself, after working in produce in a supermarket and sticking my thumb into nasty rotten stinky slimey potatoes I no longer trust whole potatoes. Pototoes at the Casa Kablammo are peeled and sliced for inspection prior to cooking. After the nasty parts are cut out, souped, mashed, pancaked, browned, chowdered, and curried.

A cardinal rule of kablammo cooking is *never trust the potato*.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post