SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An Installment in the SIGforum "What is This?" Series - Construction-Looking Device on Flatbed Truck
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Installment in the SIGforum "What is This?" Series - Construction-Looking Device on Flatbed Truck Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I've seen items like this from time to time either being transported or sitting at various job-sites. What is this? I'm just curious.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
They put that into holes so the soil won't collapse around the workers.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39229 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I think they put them in trenches to keep them from collapsing on the workers when they're down there doing trench stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know the correct terminology, but is it the protective barrier inserted into a dug trench to protect Workers in the trench from a cave in......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Yep, that's a trench box.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5291 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shoring,
when they dig holes deeper than _____.

they put these in the holes to provide support , to keep the walls from falling in around the workers.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Trench Shoring Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9436 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
6guns is correct - also called a "trench box" or "trench shield".

needed if you are going into a trench deeper than 5' deep, along with an egress device (ladder)

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
it might be a trench box Big Grin

Posts: 24233 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I think it's a box that goes in a trench to shore up the sides. (I totally did not look at every previous post to mine.)

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I dunno, but I think it has to do with trenches and making sure the walls don't collapse.

ETA: Damn. Orguss beat me to it.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
So it's distinctly NOT used for trenches, or it IS used for trenches? I wish you guys would be clearer.

Smile

Thank you - I knew the answer was but a few keypad clicks away!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Medical treatment device for trench mouth.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NEXT !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55177 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It's a meteorite shelter for people 5' and under.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double guillotine for multiple Sasquatchs

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
trench box for digging trenches

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is that also known as a caisson?

Posts: 34539 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
That is certainly not a caisson going rolling along. Big Grin

(Caissons are watertight)

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16227 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Those are tie down straps used to prevent stuff from falling off of trucks.

Posts: 3247 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post