SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendation for a Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station Supporting Multiple Monitors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation for a Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station Supporting Multiple Monitors Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
All,

So this Thunderbolt 3 capability is throwing me for a loop and need the hive's recommendation. My work laptop is a Dell with a Thunderbolt 3 adapter and because of this, I went with the same laptop for home (although its home version vice business version).

Because "I get to" work from home now, I would like to have the same set up at home as at work - a Thunderbolt 3 docking station which supports at least two 20" monitors.

No herein lies the confusion on my part - which docking station is the recommended item???? (As an FYSA - my preference is to stay with a Dell item.

Is the TB16 sufficient or something better which the hive here might recommend?

As a delta from the work set up, home will have the monitors plus a 4TB drive connected to the USB port and speakers.

TIA

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I've been looking to update my home workspace.

This Belkin 3 dock mini has my attention.
$199, but shop around.

Link

Currently have a Dell docking station with a single HDMI 4k output.
A single usb-c cable from the Dell laptop, goes to the Dell dock, which provides one hdmi interface for one monitor.
And then use the Dell laptop built-in hdmi interface for the 2nd monitor.

The Belkin would reduce the number of cables, and provide HDMI 4k. Plus 2 x usb and a 1Gb etherent LAN port.

And the Belkin is MAC compatible.

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My Dell docking station is USB C and supports multiple monitors, but uses different connectors for each (mini display, pci, hdmi) so I can't get resolutions matched perfectly, but for my use it works well.

Here's the link to it on Amazon : Amazon Link

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3354 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 dock. Supports two 4k monitors simultaneously, or one 5k monitor. I have this model, and also used their TS2 model when I had an older Mac with TB2 ports. Probably the best dock available, and well worth the price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
CalDigit TS3 Plus is what we use at work. I am no expert but this works fine.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post