SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Future of War
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Future of War Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
It’s a 28 minute video, but worth watching. I’m sure many of you are subscribed to this guy as I have been for years, but for those that are not and have not seen this, enjoy and share your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTYgcdNrXE

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Good one, thanks!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Actually saw that earlier today. Had no idea what he did...been subscribed a few years. Good vids, that one was excellent.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
That guy has one hell of a cool job. Thanks for posting it was very interesting.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Actually saw that earlier today. Had no idea what he did...been subscribed a few years. Good vids, that one was excellent.

I’ve been subscribed to him for years and I knew he was a scientist and had something to do with rockets, but until this video, I had no idea what a cool job he had.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen Brown, attempted to insert the 'human element' as a sixth domain amongst the established five battle field domains (Land, Water, Air, Space, Cyber) then, fumbled over himself trying to explain it...

Does the General really think, that his brigade & battalion commanders are empowered to think on their own, in order to anticipate and counter threats that are outside of their core competencies? The current conflicts have dragged on, because there's been a successive series of FOGO's that refused to think outside of their conventional set-pieces, insisted on participating without getting dirty, and instead bunkered down on their base, pilled-on pre-mission planning bureaucracy to their subordinates, which resulted in them checking-off their participation box.

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Gen Brown, attempted to insert the 'human element' as a sixth domain amongst the established five battle field domains (Land, Water, Air, Space, Cyber) then, fumbled over himself trying to explain it...

Does the General really think, that his brigade & battalion commanders are empowered to think on their own, in order to anticipate and counter threats that are outside of their core competencies? The current conflicts have dragged on, because there's been a successive series of FOGO's that refused to think outside of their conventional set-pieces, insisted on participating without getting dirty, and instead bunkered down on their base, pilled-on pre-mission planning bureaucracy to their subordinates, which resulted in them checking-off their participation box.

I feel like perhaps we didn't see the same video? I didn't think he stumbled over himself at all.

Our field grade officers are generally pretty flexible and motivated. How much control and authority do you think a BN or BDE commandeer really has? The extent that they are bold and risk-taking is a direct reflection of how risk averse their leadership is. This in turn serves to foster and promote certain types of officers over others.

If you were a bold BN Commander in Iraq, just how bold would you be after the Haditha hearings? How bold and outside the box would have operated under the micro-management of the Obama Admin?

I'd like to think under the current administration the commanders are empowered a lot more, sure seem to be in the fight against ISIS. Takes a long time to change course though, I can tell you there are lots of good signs. On a micro-level the IN transition course our NG unit teaches is having a week added to it. That is a huge deal for a national guard course! Now, ever since the 90's, that extra week would have been to pack in more mandatory briefings and training on just about any topic other than fighting. Guess what the extra week is for? An extra week of shooting and the ammunition allotment went through the roof. That is just one little thing. The ACFT, the change of course on the transgender policy, the relief from having to do so many mandatory trainings not related to combat are more examples.

P.S. what does FOGO mean?

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
P.S. what does FOGO mean?
Per Google: Flag Officer/General Officer

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Razz

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And maybe we need to add a 7th element - the political one. How often has the course of war or conflict been impacted by the interference of politicians inserting themselves into the fray?

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

I feel like perhaps we didn't see the same video? I didn't think he stumbled over himself at all.

Our field grade officers are generally pretty flexible and motivated. How much control and authority do you think a BN or BDE commandeer really has? The extent that they are bold and risk-taking is a direct reflection of how risk averse their leadership is. This in turn serves to foster and promote certain types of officers over others.

I just saw a general, trying to insert his 'bright idea' into the established battle space domain while ticking off a number of talking points about pushing down the decision making chain. The equation is about battle space and the ability to counter opposition in those areas, not about the human decision making matrix, which is what motivates all of those areas of conflict. Hopefully, that general understands that the enemy gets a vote, and it may be a move that wasn't anticipated...such as an unconventional move.

While pushing the decision making matrix down to the tactical unit level is always desired and makes for good sounds bites, does the parent command really provide the necessary resources and support for those unit/ship/sqdn commanders? As we've seen from the Navy, the accidents of their ships has been more a factor of poor support and oversight from their commands and not necessarily the issue with the Captain of the ship.

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post