SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LastPass - Free, well not really. Where to go next...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LastPass - Free, well not really. Where to go next... Login/Join 
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
I have used mSecure for years and really like it. It has both a free and pro version. The pro version is a one time fee and not a subscription service.

Chris

Another vote for mSecure. It was recommended by someone on the Forum and I got it a few years ago. Cant remember if I paid for it?? But I am cheap so I probably didn't pay much. It sync's to all my apple devices automatically. Very user friendly.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I started out using the premium version of LastPass and then switched to the free because I didn't need the extra features. Yesterday I re-upped to the premium version because the $27 annual fee (special one-time discount for current free users) was less painful to me than the PITA of finding another password manager that likely also wouldn't be free to allow me to access my passwords across multiple devices.

I don't know anything about the parent company, but I'm paid-up for a year and won't have to worry about a price increase for that period of time. I'll see what the competition has to offer twelve months from now.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
There are some free ones out there but you need to look at the feature sets, i.e. which platforms do you need? Windows? Mac? Android? iOS?

I'm an Apple product user; 1Password is a great paid password manager, but I'm not sure that I would buy it as a new user today. I believe that it is now being sold on the subscription plan. I started using it when it was sold as a one-time purchase and I'm grandfathered.

I used Roboform before I used 1Password, but that too, is subscription based now.

I’m a Mac guy too. I have the mSecure PW managers for my MacBook and iPhone (they sync). A small one-time fee for apps that are essential in today’s hacker-plagued world.

Many PW manager apps are sold by folks that are adept app developers, but maybe don’t understand the mathematical hazards of cryptology. The mSecure developers do.

Also, mSecure uses blowfish encryption, rather than the more common AES. There are far fewer hacker tools for blowfish.

mSecure’s website says they use AES-256 encryption.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have long used a program called b-folders as my password vault, after a long evaluation of every competitor I could find. It is free (for some platforms), open source, AES256. Easy sync between each installed instance over TCP. Versions for most platforms, MS, macOS, Android, Linux, except iOS. Those with iPhones may consider this last a fatal flaw. Link here.

Posts: 6479 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
LastPass is going to go back to being independent. As a long time user I am glad to see this!

This is from an email to users, haven't seen an announcement online yet.

quote:

A new era for LastPass

We’re very excited to announce our intent to establish LastPass as an independent company.

We couldn’t be happier and we hope you will be, too. As the leading password manager for individuals and businesses, this change allows us to strategically increase investment and support in LastPass to be able to solve your password problems faster and in even more innovative ways.

You will start to see an enhanced LastPass, on an accelerated timeline. We are working on faster, seamless save and fill, a delightful mobile experience, and even more third-party integrations for businesses, among many other updates. We are expanding our support channels so we can answer your questions faster, right when you need them, and you’ll be welcomed by a new look and feel on our website. We are investing directly in areas that customers like you have told us are most important.

Don’t worry – there are no changes to your account or data in your vault. This is the same great product, now with even more focus on keeping your data safe. You can learn more about this news on our blog.

For those of you who have been with us all along, we thank you for your continued support and passion for LastPass. For those of you who are newer, thanks for being here and we can’t wait to show you what’s next.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Are LastPass and others desktop programs? I've been using Dash Lane and they're dumping the desktop for a web based app. I don't use clouds and this seems like much the same.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Are LastPass and others desktop programs? I've been using Dash Lane and they're dumping the desktop for a web based app. I don't use clouds and this seems like much the same.

It's cloud based. You can run it locally, but you would have had to connect to the cloud at least once before running locally.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Bitwarden
I also use Bitwarden. They have a free tier but I pay the $10/year just because I want to support them.

Posts: 45376 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lurking for years!
Picture of Vegas_Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The other day a Sigforumite had a great quote. You're either paying for a product or you're the product.

When it comes to password managers, I prefer to be paying for the product. I'm on the Apple ecosystem and have had 1Password for years.

1000 Percent. I would never use a FREE password manager.

Dave
Not a Newbie! Posting on rare occasions, but lurking for years!

Posts: 585 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas_Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The other day a Sigforumite had a great quote. You're either paying for a product or you're the product.

When it comes to password managers, I prefer to be paying for the product. I'm on the Apple ecosystem and have had 1Password for years.

1000 Percent. I would never use a FREE password manager.
Bitwarden is open source and well vetted by the community.

Posts: 45376 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm still using Keepass. Is this not good? Should I drop it for something else that isn't free?

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

There is a lengthy thread on the MacRumors forum Mac Apps called "1Password migrants thread" It started with AgileBits'(maker of 1Password) decision with version 8 to move to a new model. The app is no longer a standalone Mac app, it is an Electron app. No more local vaults, you must store your vaults on their servers. And it is subscription only, no more licensing a stand alone version of the app. Many, many folks are unhappy with this change, and the 41 page thread examines all of the alternative apps.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I use Logmeonce, and yes, I pay for it. It works across all my devices and you can log in with you camera. "Free" always turns out to worth what you paid for it.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8358 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Dashlane for me. Paid. Works fine. They have moved desktop access to an extension. Oh well.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Dashlane for me. Paid. Works fine. They have moved desktop access to an extension. Oh well.

I've had Dashlane for many years. Paid version. I don't particularly like Web based version although it does seem to work fine. It's missing some features I like in the App version like the collapsible passwords list putting all of the password entries under the corresponding alpha tag making the list appear much shorter and easier to locate items. I feel I've got more control with the data on my computer, backed up to their cloud. But I did just renew for another year hopping the new version will grow on me as I'm not keen on starting over again with a new/different app. I don't mind paying a bit for a full function program.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll add another vote for BitWarden. The other half and I have both been happy with this service and it works on Android devices and computers.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Password vaults are quite handy but if someone gets in then they have the keys to the kingdom. Eek
I use RoboForm and it works, can be quite secure and handy.
Just don't be careless with this or another or tape the master PW on your monitor for everyone to see. Frown

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

There is a lengthy thread on the MacRumors forum Mac Apps called "1Password migrants thread"
<snip>

Thanks for that link Henry. LOTS of good info there.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8962 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Password vaults are quite handy but if someone gets in then they have the keys to the kingdom. Eek
I use RoboForm and it works, can be quite secure and handy.
Just don't be careless with this or another or tape the master PW on your monitor for everyone to see. Frown

Amateurs. Everybody knows you tape it to the bottom of the keyboard, just in case you can’t remember how to spell “password123”. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post