SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Migrating Files from Network Drive to MS SharePoint
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Migrating Files from Network Drive to MS SharePoint Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I've been banging my head against a wall for 3 days now trying to get a LOT of files both in number and magnitude from a network drive at work to Microsoft SharePoint. I'm working with our IT folks, one network admin 30+ year experience and our SharePoint expert guessing 10+ years experience. I was given a ROBOCOPY script to run via PowerShell, very little I had to do other than to provide the Origin and Desgination locations. Both of which have been confirmed by IT too. Long story short, I keep popping error codes like 3, 5, 11 and sometimes it does actually run. However, in Windows Explorer it shows all the files to be at the SharePoint Destination (I'm syncing my drive), but when I go to the URL for the SharePoint site...zip, nada. I even went to the guys computer next to me and had him look on the URL and he confirmed there was nothing there.

At this point, I am at a complete loss. Our SharePoint Admin is working the issue, but I wanted to access the massive SIGforum Brain Trust to see if anyone had an idea or two?

Thanks in advance!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I imagine you would need to examine your permissions (NTFS and Share) on the SharePoint Drive.

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to what smschulz stated, look into whether the SP URL/UNC is resolving to the absolute file path. Correct syntax is very important.

Also, this link to how Windows 10 v1803 and later interprets URI encoded UNC paths deferentially than before. Link

Posts: 1040 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I went through this at the beginning of this year. It did take a few days for the information to migrate, like 3 days if I recall.

It was about 3-4TB of data.

Maybe its just not done yet??

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5133 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I imagine you would need to examine your permissions (NTFS and Share) on the SharePoint Drive.

I agree with that since I just got done moving a large number of files (not SharePoint) and I didn't have the correct permissions. Our network security "gurus" also added some software that will kill a copy after a certain number of bytes had been moved in one command. They never bothered to let us low life users know about it so I banged my head against the wall until as a last resort I asked them if they knew of any problems. You may want to check with security.

Posts: 7562 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
can you post your robocopy script/command here? (you can remove the source/target info)

Robocopy can log every little error with the correct switches.

I always use:
/TEE (shows the status on screen and in the log)
/LOG:logfilename.txt (overwrites existing log file when started)
or
/LOG+:logfilename.txt (appends to existing log file when started)

Can you manually copy and paste any files from source to target location and have it show up?

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
On the network share folder everyone has READ only access and for SharePoint I am setup as the site Owner along with a few others including our Admin. When I ran it last Friday, I had Read/Write access, but had requested a global change to Read only by our Admin to keep anyone from writing to the network share.

I am moving well over 30K files and folders that are several TB in total size.

Here's a neutered version of what I'm running. I've got like 5 different variants playing with Source, Target and Log file pathing.

Script for PowerShell:

# Network Shared Drive
$Source = "\\serverpathing\origin folder"

# SharePoint location using SYNC option
$Target = "C:\Users\Name\destination folder"

# Copy Command
# ROBOCOPY Reference for all options/flags: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-...ws-commands/robocopy
# A log file with results of the copy operation is stored in the target directory.
#
# Flags used:
# /e Copies subdirectories. This option automatically includes empty directories.
# /r:<n> Specifies the number of retries on failed copies. The default value of n is 1,000,000 (one million retries).
# /w:<n> Specifies the wait time between retries, in seconds. The default value of n is 30 (wait time 30 seconds).
# /MT[:n] Creates multi-threaded copies with n threads. n must be an integer between 1 and 128. The default value for n is 8. For better performance, redirect your output using /log option.
# /v Produces verbose output, and shows all skipped files.
# /tee Writes the status output to the console window, as well as to the log file.
# /ts Includes source file time stamps in the output.
# /fp Includes the full path names of the files in the output.
# /log:<logfile> Writes the status output to the log file (overwrites the existing log file).

robocopy $Source $Target /e /R:1 /W:1 /MT /v /tee /ts /fp /log:"$Target\LogFile_CopySharedDriveToSharePoint.log"

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I think the problem lies with your Sharepoint admin. Especially if you see everything copied at the destination in Explorer. They missed something somewhere, permission or inheritance-wise. Your robocopy command isn't the issue for sure. If you had another UNC location to use as a target, you can prove to the Sharepoint person (just do a small source directory) that it's copying correctly until you point it to SP.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2271 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
I think the problem lies with your Sharepoint admin. Especially if you see everything copied at the destination in Explorer. They missed something somewhere, permission or inheritance-wise. Your robocopy command isn't the issue for sure. If you had another UNC location to use as a target, you can prove to the Sharepoint person (just do a small source directory) that it's copying correctly until you point it to SP.

^^^ Good Point.

Posts: 22927 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post