SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Regulating an ETA movement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regulating an ETA movement Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted
Any one regulate their watches? I have a few Doxas and I have the bug to open up one or two and take a look and increase/ regulate, it's running about 12 seconds slow. I know that aint bad but I really want to. Any ways anyone done it tips tricks comments. Thanks Ray. Oh yeah ETA 2892

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't worked on my own, but the last time my watch with an ETA was running that slow I sent it for service and it was running completely dry. Lube and a fresh mainspring did the trick!

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slappin' dat Bass!
Picture of bassman
posted Hide Post
A trip to David Truong is in order for a cleaning service.

Posts: 1630 | Registered: November 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any chance it was magnitized? I had a watch that was misbehaving. Took it to the AD, and he said it was magnitized. They demagnitized it, and it ran to spec.
That may help with the accuracy.

I don't have any tips on opening the caseback or what to do after that.

Good luck with the opening.

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The chances are good that you will make it much worse that it is presently. You also don't have the ability to reseal it and assure the water resistance.

As said above, mechanical movements typically need service every five or so years.

Start with that and ask the service provider to regulate the movement while they have it open.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
I don't know about magnitized but it was serviced 1.5 years ago maybe 2 but I don't wear it all the much it was keeping time just fine maybe lost a second or two but haven't worn it in a while. It was sent to time Tech in Los Angeles which is a authorized repair center for Doxa for service. But I'm done sending from Miami. I have a local place that has replaced a main spring on my 1000t doxa but I feel like tinkering and see if I can regulate it myself. Then I'll probably have my local place pressure test it. Ray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Magnetization usually manifests as a watch dramatically gaining time.

I wouldn't know the first thing about how to regulate a watch movement. But I'd expect just about every watchmaker can service a 2892 movement since it's so ubiquitous.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Not mechanical, but that has never stopped me from opening them up. There is an o-ring you will probably replace. Probably you'll want a small watch vise, the proper wrench, the loupe thingie watch people wear like a third eye, and a good light. Some super-small screwdrivers, a few grades of oil, and a couple trips to the horological enthusiast subforum. Plenty of people do this for fun.

Here's a brief article on regulating an ETA movement.

http://www.masterwatchmaker.net/watchregulation.asp

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Thanks Woodman I actual read that article and a few others. Got all the tools needed in bound and going to download the Clockmaster app. for iphone for the beats per second and minute for regulation. will have to order O ring when I take it apart to get measurements. Thanks Ray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Look up Jocke on rolexforum. He does this stuff for fun, and an open posting with lots of pictures will get you super detailed information - and probably a package of correct gaskets for free!

A fella on Jewelers Row Philly will sell me a case-back gasket for a generic quartz for a buck. Most watch repair shops welcome someone who wants to do what you're doing. There are so few people entering the trade.

I'll be taking apart a 1900s pocket watch in a year or so to replace a broken mainspring and whatever else broke. Being near a former watchmaking region, Lancaster PA, there are hordes of people who sell small parts and readily recognize what I'll be looking for. Just like I can glance into a toilet tank and know the homeowner installed the flapper wrong - a year and a half ago, and they're finally calling me - these watch guys have a familiarity with all the parts.

It's like working on a simple automobile in miniature.

posted Hide Post
You're a brave man..... (coming from someone who knows nothing about watches.)

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Look up Jocke on rolexforum. He does this stuff for fun, and an open posting with lots of pictures will get you super detailed information - and probably a package of correct gaskets for free!

A fella on Jewelers Row Philly will sell me a case-back gasket for a generic quartz for a buck. Most watch repair shops welcome someone who wants to do what you're doing. There are so few people entering the trade.

I'll be taking apart a 1900s pocket watch in a year or so to replace a broken mainspring and whatever else broke. Being near a former watchmaking region, Lancaster PA, there are hordes of people who sell small parts and readily recognize what I'll be looking for. Just like I can glance into a toilet tank and know the homeowner installed the flapper wrong - a year and a half ago, and they're finally calling me - these watch guys have a familiarity with all the parts.

It's like working on a simple automobile in miniature.

Thanks again, I did put out a post on watchuseek about gasket sizes for my collection. I look him up. Ray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
After removing the hinge stop on an abused Vulcan oven today, I took the 5 block walk east to Jewelers Row. Nick, not to be interrupted laying out 10 point diamonds on his latest project, learned me on case back gaskets while he worked.

He says all watch gaskets are different. Different profile, thickness, etc, in addition to diameter. My collection of skinny quartz watch gaskets for a 100m waterproof rating (yeah, right ...) may have been a buck each; I'm not sure where I got all of them.

Nick says one would need the exact model number to look up the right gasket. It would be $10 for the "right" gasket, plus another two if you wanted it mailed First Class ... although he didn't seem too thrilled when I tossed out the $2 shipping/handling query. So figure $12 delivered.

I bet if you have exact dimensional data on the o-ring wanted, a guy with an assortment box will charge a buck or two.

Usually the crown o-ring gets replaced as well, but I've never been too worried about 300' free diving ruining my $40 quartz wrist watch.

Esslinger sells a gross of assorted sizes for $12 plus shipping.

http://www.esslinger.com/watch-gaskets/

Maybe pick up a new crystal and crystal press ...