SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home dark room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home dark room Login/Join 
Picture of Killer
posted
I was watching Magnum P.I. and Magnum was using the dark room and it made me wonder, do people still use dark rooms at home?

Posts: 332 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Yep. Not as much but still is done.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I did but is was many many years (decades) ago and it was not in the house where I now live.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31383 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
Yep. Not as much but still is done.

With digital capabilities today, is it worth setting one up?

Posts: 332 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It all depends on how you feel about film photography. With the re-introduction of Ektachrome, which I believe you can process yourself, it may be worth it.

I still have my 35mm cameras on a shelf, and would break them out if I had a good enough reason. I never processed color film when I had my own dark room, preferring the simplicity of Black and White. Now, if I had the space, money and inclination, I'd do color as well.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9367 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I did but is was many many years (decades) ago and it was not in the house where I now live.

Same here. Had a pretty extensive one I built in my garage. Housed a stainless 3 tub sink, Bessler enlarger, MacBeth color analyzer, and a ton of other odds and ends. Sold it all off just before moving... this in late 1981.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I do. I built it about 15 years ago. It's quite small, too small for the 4x5 enlarger I want, but I can do most of what I need to do in it (even though the sink is nothing more than a rubbermaid storage container with a hole in one end to drain water Smile)

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some of my best and most relaxing time, not to mention things I learned, I did processing and printing film and paper.

I started in 1971, processing and printing B&W.

Later in 1981 I started processing and printing color as well.

It led to a studio and weddings.

Used everythign from 35mm, 645, 6x7 and 4x5.

Processed all B&W, Ortho, Ektachrome, Agfa, Ilford, Kodacolor and VPS.

There is nothing like the "journey" from taking a shot, processing the film, printing and processing and the several iterations to bring forth a "perfect" print.

Yeah, it might be a few days from start to finish.

But it is like "making love".

I am glad I had the opportunity to experience that time.

So, all that said, to say, if you have the time and money, go for it. It will teach you many things.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Somewhere I have packed away a marvelous Minolta enlarger with a Schneider lens; all the trays, timer, and other accessories; used it all for a short time.
Now I spend time in "Lightroom".
Anyone who looked at the entirety of my posts on SigForum would know that I am a dilettante, have bought tons of hobby stuff but never devote a lot of time or attention to any of them.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I belong to the Ann Arbor Crappy Camera Club, where we all use film exclusively. I dont have my own darkroom, but, I get my B&W film developed by a fellow club member who has built a darkroom in his home. Plenty of others also have darkrooms in their homes, ranging from some with professional level setups to make-shift darkroom setups.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post