SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone tricks you never knew about
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone tricks you never knew about Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I did know most of these, but the autocorrect fix (panel 14 of 16) is welcome info.

“Tech-savvy people have discovered the little-known features on an iPhone that many never knew existed - including a hidden degree symbol in the keyboard and a 'secret' setting to adjust the brightness of your torch…”

https://mol.im/a/8457977

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The space bar as a track pad will be extremely helpful. That is the only one I didn’t know, but you’re a saint for posting this!

Now if we could edit the dictionary so that a saved word could be deleted...

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Good stuff. Thanks

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I heard a rumor you could get pichers of neckid ladies on em. Eek

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Hard to get past all the ads. This site didn't like my ad-blocker. Nice tips though.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
But how to prevent nosy parents from knowing where I am, that would be good information.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Ugh, Daily Mail, If you disable you're ad blocker the page never quits loading because of the amount of ads. My phone rings I sometimes answer it. I make a call and the other phone rings and sometimes they answer. All I need.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Hard to get past all the ads. This site didn't like my ad-blocker. Nice tips though.
Mike

No kidding, the DM ad popups are nasty, gotten to the point I wont look at them anymore since it wants to disable the blocker to see the page.

I don't mind a few ads, realize they are there for revenue, but DM is excessive!

Nice tips by the way! the Scan to PDF is helpful as is the sliding space bar, I can never get the tap insert to edit bar in the correct place...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These were very helpful, thank you.

One could have a lot of fun with the text replacement feature on someone else's phone.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
WTF - Exactly why are there so many 'Secret Squirrel' multi-finger/swipe/tap/gestures that are seemingly NOT Officially Documented anywhere, such that you need to be in the 'cool kids club' or a 'genius' to know they exist anyway.... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I found a few that were useful.

I got a new iphone XR about 6 months ago and the screen wouldn't show battery percentage. When I went back in the tech showed me how to just touch on the battery symbol, drag it down, and that's how I learned of that helpful screen, many things in one place just from a swipe.

It has no home button, it's still awkward trying to swipe up to close windows.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
WTF - Exactly why are there so many 'Secret Squirrel' multi-finger/swipe/tap/gestures that are seemingly NOT Officially Documented anywhere, such that you need to be in the 'cool kids club' or a 'genius' to know they exist anyway.... Roll Eyes

I saw an interview years ago where they said programers would watch people use their OS and be horrified how they used it, all the things they spent so much time writing/developing and people don't use them. Well no shit! How the F' are we supposed to know? When was the last computer than came with instructions? I use my new iPad every day and the browser is constantly doing things I don't know what they are, how to utilize or how to stop. Honestly it's worse than that, I still have an occasionally use my G4 Mac I bought it 2003. Been using it for 17 years and I'd bet 1/4 of the programs that came with it, I have no idea what they are or what they do.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Here's the PDF version I just edited with no Ads.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AoFYAlaqOa...Dx-0GsWoSV_?e=nDsJhQ

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lkdr1989,

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Did not know about the swipe to backspace numbers or that I could adjust the brightness of my torch at all.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Lkdr- thanks for the Word document—I’ve emailed it to other family iPhone users.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks Pipe Smoker! Very helpful hints.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
But how to prevent nosy parents from knowing where I am, that would be good information.

Maybe get your own apple id, or turn your permissions off.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Here's the PDF version I justed edited with no Ads.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AoFYAlaqOa...Dx-0GsWoSV_?e=nDsJhQ

You sir, are a gentleman and a lifesaver!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
There’s also a little orange icon, with a lightbulb symbol in it, on all iPads and iPhones. It’s labeled Tips. It has a lot of good information too.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Mike

I know that I may be way off here but it may be worth mentioning if you aren't already aware of this feature and use a Mac, in the address bar at the top, when you click on a link that may have a significant amount of pop-ups, after clicking on the link, you can click on those small lines to the very left in the bar that will be highlighted as "reader view" when you move the cursor over it, just click it and it will display the page without all the annoying pop-up ads. I'm probably preaching to the choir here but I thought I'd mention this for those who aren't aware of it.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post