SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why has the word algorithm become the cool word
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why has the word algorithm become the cool word Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
So.....today I was reading SIGforum and....

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
All these buzz words have their 15 minutes. Back in the late 70's and 80's it was "eclectic".

This too will pass. Big Grin

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Back when he was in office, I thought that Al Gore Rhythm was a vice-presidential dance step.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I cringe when I hear the word during the meeting. As soon as it’s spoken everyone else thinks the user has no idea what they’re talking about.

IMO, it’s the most improperly used word in the dictionary.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Once you have the correct algorithm, it's a simple matter to plug it into the cloud and use machine learning to get the job done.

One caveat, this only works if you apply blockchain.

Hoo boy. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Once you have the correct algorithm, it's a simple matter to plug it into the cloud and use machine learning to get the job done.

One caveat, this only works if you apply blockchain.

Hoo boy. Roll Eyes

Ha !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
A co-worker has reached the "at end of the day" saturation point. The 3 letter word catch phrase, a win win for the masses.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howard Kurtz of Fox Media Buzz, used algorithm 3 times...still has 1/2 hr remaining in his show for more chances.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
YMMV.

I feel that, just as there is the right tool for any given job, there is the right word or phrase for any given context.

In my experience at my company, many people who use catch words or catch phrases all the time suffer from low self esteem and/or are lazy and don’t bother with communicating properly.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
So.....today I was reading SIGforum and....

Sooooo.....I think I see what you did there. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
It is what it is.

Game Changer!

The optics of this aren’t good.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day ...............

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Al Gore has no rhythm

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

...it's a no-brainer!

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Sean Hannity says this toooooo much!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I don't know. It's been familiar to computer folks for ages now. Like many things, I guess, it finally spills over into a broader audience / pop culture.

i agree with this

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I bet there's an algorithm to determine why algorithm has become such a popular word.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the use of the word in math or computer fields. National news talking head," when we have the algorithm, we will understand the collusion with Russia."

How about, when we have the friggin'truth, we will understand what, if any collusion existed & by whom.

Why flower up words, let's get to the point! I'm 71 yrs old, I don't have time for beating around the bush, give it to me straight! Rant over.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The word has seemed to come into vogue the last month or so hasn't it? I have noticed it mostly when the left tries to justify the censorship of conservatives on un-social media by saying "the algorithm did that, it wasn't a conscious effort at censorship".

Well yea, the algorithm did do it. The algorithm that was designed and implemented by leftist programmers. An algorithm does exactly what it is programmed to do. Like any computer program. If it is programmed to think like a leftist, it acts like a leftist. Imagine that.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I blame YouTube.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post