SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Glass Elephant Nearly Shattered After Sen. Collins Makes Shutdown Negotiators Use 'Talking Stick'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glass Elephant Nearly Shattered After Sen. Collins Makes Shutdown Negotiators Use 'Talking Stick' Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
A Republican senator introduced a "talking stick" into government shutdown negotiations to try to keep the peace, but it ended up nearly shattering one of her figurines, according to several reports.

Sen. Susan Collins of Maine hosted a bipartisan group of senators in her office to discuss how to put an end to the government shutdown.

She reportedly made fellow legislators use a ceremonial Native American "talking stick" when they wanted to speak - in order to quell possible disruptions.

Senators could only speak if they were in possession of the "talking stick."

However, things went slightly awry when a top Democrat interrupted a Republican, who then tossed the stick in the liberal's direction in jest, causing damage to one of Collins' decorations.

Virginia Senator Mark Warner allegedly interrupted Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, who was talking while in possession of the stick.

Upon the outburst, Alexander reportedly tossed the stick "forcefully" in Warner's direction clipping and chipping Collins' glass elephant.

Those in the room reportedly laughed off the incident, and Collins replaced the "talking stick" with a rubber ball to prevent any further damage to her office.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Jesus H. Christ

This is what the leadership of our country has devolved into. Grown-ass adults who require a totem to force them to be civil and not interrupt each other.

Next they'll all have to hold hands and sing "Sharing is Caring", before they're allowed to eat some cookies and milk and settle in for their nap.

Big. Floppy. Clown. Shoes.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Talking Stick- counterpart to the Silence Cattle Prod

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
... eat some cookies and milk and settle in for their nap.
I'm down.

Posts: 107758 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I was in a local public meeting where there was a talking stick.

I saw a person holding the stick get interrupted by the same jackass a half dozen times, turn and tell the jackass they were going to get their ass beaten with the stick if they interrupted again.

Everyone else started chanting "Do it! Do it!" Jackass got up and left in a huff.

I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
But was Fauxcohontas there to use that native American talking stick????

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Chiefs of great land smoke more peace pipe, take less wampum from braves of great land.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd rather see someone use a shusher. More specifically, the next time shumer or graham open their yaps a good wack with a shusher would bring me great joy.

Ken

Posts: 1051 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Jesus H. Christ

This is what the leadership of our country has devolved into. Grown-ass adults who require a totem to force them to be civil and not interrupt each other.

Next they'll all have to hold hands and sing "Sharing is Caring", before they're allowed to eat some cookies and milk and settle in for their nap.

Big. Floppy. Clown. Shoes.

NO, what they need is a good old fashion beating.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
He threw a fucking stick at him. Holy Christ that's great

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I say they use a heated sauna rock instead it would shorten their statements, create blisters so their palms can no longer support grease.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

Well, it was Warner, who seems uncommonly obnoxious.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Why do they they use the "Shut the fuck up, I'm talking" Tazer if someone interrupts?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38008 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Oh. How. Girl Scout. Do you suppose everyone sang a song together when they were done and then had cookies and KoolAid?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Sounds like cultural appropriation to me.

Where is the outrage?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10963 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Sure it was an elephant and not a rhino?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11785 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 1970s I worked on a project where we would have weekly meetings with design engineers from the systems, hardware, and software groups. As in any design, there were conflicts. Such as the hardware guys wanting to do things the easy way, the systems guys telling the hardware guys that it was not the right way to do it, and the hardware guys saying "let the software fix it."

These meetings usually turned into shouting matches, with people trying to talk over each other.

One of the systems guys introduced the notion of the talking stick. Other people resisted the idea but the systems guy was a physically impressive guy and he intimidated the group into accepting the notion. He was also the enforcer; if somebody tried to interrupt he would just growl, "wait until you get the talking stick. You'll have your turn, to try to make your point."

The project still turned out to be a mess, but with less chaos at the weekly meetings at least is was an orderly mess.

I left that company to join a consulting group, where people were polite.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
What would have made this story awesome ?

If Elizabeth Warren had brought the ceremonial Native American "talking stick" to the meeting.

(rather than some REP senator)

I might write Warner and ask him if she did.

Posts: 19607 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
If she would have checked with some of the more recent users of that conversation crutch, you know, Cub Scouts and Brownies, she would have been forewarned that it routinely ends up with wrestling on the living room floor.

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:

No no no. It's a 'Talking' Stick. The fucking stick is kept in the Dem caucus room unless Franken took it home with him hoping to get lucky.

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
Beating up each other with sticks has a long history in the US Senate:

https://www.senate.gov/artandh...r_Charles_Sumner.htm

Posts: 317 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post