SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a Good Stripper and Crimper
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a Good Stripper and Crimper Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Last, but not least, this kind of stripper:

Yeah, I've had experience with that kind, too. All I can say is listen to and take Trini Lopez' song, Lemon Tree, to heart.

If you don't know Trini's sad tale:
Lyrics
When I was just a lad of ten, my father said to me,
"Come here and take a lesson from the lovely lemon tree."
"Don't put your faith in love, my boy, " my father said to me,
"I fear you'll find that love is like the lovely lemon tree."

Lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet,
But the fruit of the lemon is impossible to eat.

One day beneath the lemon tree, my love and I did lie,
A girl so sweet that when she smiled, the stars rose in the sky.
We passed that summer lost in love, beneath the lemon tree,
The music of her laughter hid my father's words from me.

One day she left without a word, she took away the sun.
And in the dark she left behind, I knew what she had done.
She left me for another, it's a common tale but true,
A sadder man, but wiser now, I sing these words to you.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8358 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I need to make a few splices in a shielded depth transducer cable on my sailboat and mechanical crimping not soldering is the preferred method.

A few?!?!

Are we talking a standard Airmar depth transducer, such as used by Raymarine depth gauges, Garmin chart-plotters and the like? I think those are shielded two- or three-conductor cable. There's no reasonable way to splice those with connectorization of which I'm aware.

Yes, we're talking about something similar to the Airmar, in my case a B&G transducer and cable. It's a shielded pair or pair+, not co-ax. Splicing is not an issue, in fact it is quite common because pulling the cable with the monstrous connectors attached through the convoluted recesses of a boat is nearly impossible. In my case the original 25 year old splice at the display end seems to be holding up well, but the transducer has failed at the other end. Rather than pulling the cable again, I plan to splice at the transducer end this time with a pair of marine grade butt connectors with adhesive lined heat shrink insulation. I will join the braided coax ends and likely shield the whole splice with foil then heat shrink the entire splice. I haven;t decided how best to join the braided cable shield, soldering in this case is not preferable, but is pretty practical.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do people keep posting pics of plier things in a thread about Strippers. Dad gum it I want to see MORE pics of Strippers.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I haven;t decided how best to join the braided cable shield, soldering in this case is not preferable, but is pretty practical.

Offset the splices to reduce bulk.

As for the braid: Don't worry overmuch about it. In this particular application it's just for noise reduction and doesn't much otherwise affect cable performance. Just make sure there's a good mechanical connection. (Expand one side, slip it over the other, then collapse it back down.) Once you put the adhesive-lined heat-shrink over it and shrink it down, it'll remain good enough for this purpose without solder. Attempting to solder will chance melting through other insulation and won't really appreciably improve the electrical properties of the joint.

If you're really worried about electrical continuity, however, put a spiral of tinned wire around the length of the exposed shield and tack-solder it down at each end.

If you can overlap the braid as I described, the foil won't be necessary.

I'm aware of the mechanical-crimp-vs-solder debate in the marine world, these days. I don't buy the arguments favouring crimp connections 100% in all applications. Yours would be one such example.

Doing what you're doing: I'd do offset Western Union splices

solder them, and finish with adhesive-lined heat shrink. Then do the braid as I described above.

Thing is: I know how to solder correctly. Not everybody does. That's one of the arguments favouring crimp connections.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thing is: I know how to soldier correctly. Not everybody does. That's one of the arguments favouring crimp connections.

It's mostly about vibration and wire movement causing fatigue failure.

Current ABYC standards allow soldering only if solder isn't the only mechanical connection between the wires (your Western Union splice would be OK, I think) and only if the wires are supported very close to the joint on both sides of the joint (to prevent the wires from moving and flexing the joint).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

Thing is: I know how to soldier correctly. Not everybody does. That's one of the arguments favouring crimp connections.

Current ABYC standards allow soldering only if solder isn't the only mechanical connection between the wires (your Western Union splice would be OK, I think) and only if the wires are supported very close to the joint on both sides of the joint (to prevent the wires from moving and flexing the joint).

Yes. I didn't want to get into all the details.

But to expand upon your points: Electrical solder isn't meant to be the electrical or mechanical component. It's meant to reinforce and seal an existing mechanical and electrical connection. I've tack-soldered wire together, but only when I had absolutely no other option. (E.g.: Repairing a USB keyboard cable. Yes, really. Cat chewed it and I had no spare. [It's still working, btw.])

The other argument: Wire fatigue. It is argued that the wire either side of the solder is weakened by the soldering, or, because the soldered joint is so rigid, any bending force along the length containing the joint will exert undue stress either side of it. This can be mitigated, in the case of soldering a Western Union splice, by going easy on the solder, and not bringing it all the way out to the ends of the joint.

This is one aspect of what I meant by knowing how to solder. I.e.: More isn't necessarily better. I've seen very few electrical solder joints done by others, over the years, that were done correctly.

While we're on the subject of marine wire termination...

There's a sailor, goes by the nick of "Maine Sail," last I knew, that does all kinds of performance and torture testing of sailing gear. Including heat shrink and crimp terminals. Lemme see... Ah, here's his page: Welcome To MarineHowTo.com. If you want to find out what works and what doesn't, from marine wire termination to marine electronics to bedding deck hardware to installing through-hulls to anchor holding performance, this is where to look. This sailor is thorough.

He did a test, I don't see it there, where he hung increasingly heavy weight on a crimped wire connection, using anchors (he has a lot of anchors) until it gave way. The results were impressive. (It was either a terminal or butt-splice connector with integral adhesive-lined heat-shrink, IIRC.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I was putting the preceding stuff away, I remembered the networking and phone stuff:

L-R: 110 and 66-block punch-down (or "punch block") tool, duplex surface-mount UTP network jack with 110 punch-down terminations, an RJ-11/-12/-45 termination tool and some RJ-45

I have a toolbox dedicated to the networking stuff, including the two tools you mention, as well as electricians' scissors, (which are handy for cutting the outer insulation on plenum UTP cable), a butt set, coax strippers and crimpers, and a selection of connectors, including RJ45 plugs for both stranded and solid cable.

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I like the Ideal T-stripper and Klein J1005 crimper for electrical work.

But I have 3-4 wire strippers and at least six other crimp tools depending on what is being stripped and/or crimped.

I did industrial electrical work for a living and this is just exactly what I used daily and it worked good for me.

You might need a different stripper for bigger S.O. cord or house type wiring to get the outer insulation off.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was going to say that I know what a stripper was, but couldn't image a "Crimper" girl....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thing is: I know how to soldier correctly. Not everybody does.

Cool. Where'd you do Basic Training?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with Klein tools. Worked almost 29 years as supervisor and made tons of electrical pliers. Some of the model we made were 1900,1930, 1919,1921,1963 and 19730. These were all strippers behind the rivet and crimper jaws in front of the rivet. We also made a series of pliers with strippers in front of the rivet but do not remember the model numbers. Also made tons of screwdrivers both flat tip and phillips and torx. Home Depot has a decent display.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Thing is: I know how to soldier correctly. Not everybody does.

Cool. Where'd you do Basic Training?

Ft. Knox Smile

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

Yes. I didn't want to get into all the details.

But to expand upon your points: Electrical solder isn't meant to be the electrical or mechanical component. It's meant to reinforce and seal an existing mechanical and electrical connection. I've tack-soldered wire together, but only when I had absolutely no other option. (E.g.: Repairing a USB keyboard cable. Yes, really. Cat chewed it and I had no spare. [It's still working, btw.])

The other argument: Wire fatigue. It is argued that the wire either side of the solder is weakened by the soldering, or, because the soldered joint is so rigid, any bending force along the length containing the joint will exert undue stress either side of it. This can be mitigated, in the case of soldering a Western Union splice, by going easy on the solder, and not bringing it all the way out to the ends of the joint.

This is one aspect of what I meant by knowing how to solder. I.e.: More isn't necessarily better. I've seen very few electrical solder joints done by others, over the years, that were done correctly.

While we're on the subject of marine wire termination...

There's a sailor, goes by the nick of "Maine Sail," last I knew, that does all kinds of performance and torture testing of sailing gear. Including heat shrink and crimp terminals. Lemme see... Ah, here's his page: Welcome To MarineHowTo.com. If you want to find out what works and what doesn't, from marine wire termination to marine electronics to bedding deck hardware to installing through-hulls to anchor holding performance, this is where to look. This sailor is thorough.

He did a test, I don't see it there, where he hung increasingly heavy weight on a crimped wire connection, using anchors (he has a lot of anchors) until it gave way. The results were impressive. (It was either a terminal or butt-splice connector with integral adhesive-lined heat-shrink, IIRC.)

Another argument against soldering is that it creates a potential point of resistance from the tin/lead makeup of solder and the copper oxides created at soldering temperatures. Something pointed out by some of my research anyway.

You'd think this would be something there would be definitive answer to. I'm surprised there's so much debate. Now back to your regularly scheduled strippers.....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jigray3,

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post