SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Syria shoots down Russian spy plane, Russia blames Israel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Syria shoots down Russian spy plane, Russia blames Israel Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
So the Israeli jets allegedly used the Russian spy plane as a shield against Syrian anti-aircraft missiles and Russia is blaming the Jews Roll Eyes

Isn't 22 miles, international waters?

quote:

Russian military aircraft downed by Syrian forces, killing 15; Moscow blames Israeli aggression

A Russian military spy plane carrying 15 over the Mediterranean Sea was downed Monday by an anti-aircraft missile from Syrian forces, prompting finger pointing by Moscow over what is called an "intentional provocation" by Israel.

The Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement Tuesday that the Il-20 "coot" jet was hit 22 miles off the coast as it was returning to the Russian base near the Syrian city of Lattakia.
russia-jet

The Il-20 is a military version of the Il-18 passenger airplane, which first flew in 1957 and is seen as one of the most durable planes from the Soviet era (iStock)

"The Israeli pilots were using the Russian aircraft as a shield and pushed it into the line of fire of the Syrian defense," Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said in a statement.

Russia said Israel did not warn it of its operation over Latakia province until one minute before the strikes, which did not give the Russian plane enough time to escape.

The Russian defense minister told his Israeli counterpart that Israel is "fully to blame," according to Russian reports.

Konashenkov called Israeli military's actions "irresponsible" and viewed them as "hostile," according to Reuters.

"This absolutely does not correspond to the spirit of Russian-Israeli partnership,” Konashenkov said, according to the wire service, citing Interfax news agency.

The ministry accused the Israeli army of "intentional provocation."

“We reserve the right to take commensurate measures in response,” Konashenkov said, according to the report. He did not specify what the measures would be.

Russia President Vladimir Putin reportedly expressed his condolences for those killed.

A recovery operation in the Mediterranean Sea is underway.

Israeli and French fighters were attacking targets at the time, Moscow said, according to Reuters.

A spokesman for France’s military denied any involvement.

Israel’s military, prime minister’s office and the Foreign Ministry declined to comment, Reuters reported.

The Il-20 is a military version of the Il-18 passenger airplane, which first flew in 1957 and is seen as one of the most durable planes from the Soviet era. Kitted out with electronic equipment and external antennae, it is still used by the Russian Air Force today, according to globalsecurity.org.

Russia has been a key backer of Syrian President Bashar Al Assad and it has two military bases in the country, including one close to the Mediterranean coast.

Capt. Bill Urban, a spokesman for the United States Central Command, referred questions on the incident to the Russian Defense Ministry, the New York Times reported.

“The U.S. was not involved in any strikes in Western Syria or in the shoot down of any planes tonight,” Urban said on Monday evening, according to the paper.

Sima Shine, a former senior Mossad official and ex-deputy director-general at the Strategic Affairs Ministry, told Israel's Army Radio station that the shooting down is problematic both militarily and internally from a Russian perspective.

"I think it will impose very serious restriction on Israel's freedom of activity," she said.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...r-mediterranean.html

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Jews always get the blame. What was the Rusky doing there in the first place?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
"Russia blames Israel because it doesn't understand combat tactics"

Got it. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:

Got it. Wink

This! If this really is what happened, props to the Izzys for being resourceful! Syria should have “known their target.”

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
When your own ally shoots your plane down - how can you blame anyone but them ??

(or yourself - for not notifying them...)

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
quote:

Got it. Wink

This! If this really is what happened, props to the Izzys for being resourceful! Syria should have “known their target.”

Also don't point a missile at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ What is it the Europeans call it? An "own goal" or something?

Ah, yes. Israel admits to running a couple of hundred raids into Syria and loses one plane, while France does it often enough that it doesn't excite comment and has lost no planes that anyone's heard of.

But apparently Russian missiles in the hands of Russian allies are good enough to take out a Russian civilian airplane with military markings full of Russian spies.

I believe the technically appropriate response is BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

Got it. Wink

Yep. One of the first four rules of firearms. My children know them, don't the Syrians?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
From the little I've read the Israeli F-16 that got shot down was due to a couple things happening:

1. Instead of diving, it either went up or stayed at altitude too long
2. There were apparently 20 anti-aircraft missiles fired at the Israelis Eek

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^^ What is it the Europeans call it? An "own goal" or something?

Ah, yes. Israel admits to running a couple of hundred raids into Syria and loses one plane, while France does it often enough that it doesn't excite comment and has lost no planes that anyone's heard of.

But apparently Russian missiles in the hands of Russian allies are good enough to take out a Russian civilian airplane with military markings full of Russian spies.

I believe the technically appropriate response is BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
"This absolutely does not correspond to the spirit of Russian-Israeli partnership,” Konashenkov said, according to the wire service, citing Interfax news agency.

They're partners now?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Man we can win this cold war stuff if our enemies keep shooting down our enemies.

Way to go Israel Syria, keep up the good work!

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

Got it. Wink

And, don't sell your best missile system to someone who might shoot at you.

Somebody at IAF is probably still laughing right now.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
IIRC, We shot down an Iranian civilian airliner over the gulf. Here it is

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Dont laugh too hard, US Army Patriot batteries shot down 1 x US F-18 and 1 x RAF Tornado, with the 3 crew killed.

It took a USAF F-16CJ HARMing the offending Patriot battery to stop the “friendly fire”.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
It helps Russia's case that the Israelis are so, so good at whacking people and then holding a press conference where all they say is "Who, me?" in their most unconvincing manner while laughing up their sleeves.
It has gotten them an aura of "John Wick Babayaga" whenever someone gets killed that they don't like.

The Russians are going to use it as an excuse to step up their involvement. Here's hoping that doesn't mean missile strikes inside Israel.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
The Jews always get the blame. What was the Rusky doing there in the first place?

Spying.

And I don't see much to complain about. The Russian plane could have "pushed" back. And, more importantly, the Syrians pulled the trigger. They were shooting at the Israelis and missed; that is still the Syrians' actions. It was an "own goal."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:... Here's hoping that doesn't mean missile strikes inside Israel.

Bruce

!אחי לא לשחק
(Homie don't play!)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43908 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
It helps Russia's case that the Israelis are so, so good at whacking people and then holding a press conference where all they say is "Who, me?" in their most unconvincing manner while laughing up their sleeves.
It has gotten them an aura of "John Wick Babayaga" whenever someone gets killed that they don't like.

The Russians are going to use it as an excuse to step up their involvement. Here's hoping that doesn't mean missile strikes inside Israel.

Bruce

FWIW, Israel just came out recently and admitted to over 200 strikes in Syria over the last two years.

And the Russians still haven't backtracked on their decision to keep the Syrians from attacking Idlib.

We shall see, we shall see.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:...
And the Russians still haven't backtracked on their decision to keep the Syrians from attacking Idlib.

We shall see, we shall see.

Imagine an all out "final assault" in Tampa-St. Pete to root out an insurgent force.

It would be much like that.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43908 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post