SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RVs: Newmar vs. Tiffin vs. Entegra
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RVs: Newmar vs. Tiffin vs. Entegra Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Any general thoughts on these brands for Class A diesels (40-45 ft)? Reliability, ease of service, customer service, etc?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Have a friend who had a Tiffin for many years, few if any problems other than replacing one a/c unit. It was pretty sweet!!!

Caution - don't know if this is an issue only with 5th wheels but make sure warranty exclusions are looked at depending on your planned use. For example another friend of ours traveled/lived in a huge 5th wheel (or whatever that class is called) for 18 months. When they bought it they selected a brand that didn't exclude basic warranty coverage for full time use rather than "occasional".

Not sure how they'd determine that if you kept your mouth shut, but something to consider if Class As do the same.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12423 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Also consider Foretravel.

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
YouTube is guiding me on a similar future decision.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents had a Newmar Mountain Aire 5th wheel they bought new in 2005 I think it was. They wanted to change some things with the floorplan. The dealer and Newmar were fantastic to work with and made the changes for them. It was a great camper for them while they had it with no major issues.

They traded that for a used Country Coach diesel pusher. It had some issues that Dad got fed up chasing and fixing. While it was nice, customer service was basically non existent due to Country Coach being bought out by someone else. There were no real records of anything prior to the buyout.

So, Dad traded that for a 2007 Tiffin Allegro bus this past July. So far, customer service has been pretty decent. However, the whole corona crap has cut their staffing and it is taking some time for emails and what not.

The quality of craftsmanship in all 3 units was, and is spectacular. The Tiffin being the best though with thoughtful planning on utility hookup and waste dumping. So far he is extremely pleased with this coach, but he was just as pleased with the Newmar.

With all that said. We looked at new Tiffins last year at a camper show and the quality is still there. The Newmar had some things different that he did not care for from when he had his. Your best bet is find your closest dealers or go to a camper show and check them out in person.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, you don't show where in Florida you are, but Lazy Days has a huge selection of new and used RVs. Dad was just there looking at the 2007 Tiffin they have there just to poke around it and compare to the one he has. If you are close, check it out.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Tiffen. Period.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jeff, Check out a Foretravel, better build than the others mentioned.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Two years ago, I was looking for a gas coach and had the same choices. I went to the Hershey RV show to see the models firsthand.

Mind you, this was awhile back and things change. Winnebago bought Newmar last year (I think so they could have a line of luxury diesels) so that might be what petr is seeing. I went to the factory last year (before the buyout) and it was pretty impressive.

I have heard the Tiffin/Newmar choice is like six of one or a half dozen of another. Tiffin is still family-owned and the after-purchase support is bar none. Newmar WAS like that, but I've been seeing a lot people talking about flaws in the newer, high-end coaches.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16190 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winnebago bought Country Coach in 2015 and Newmar in 2019.

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Foretravel seems a bit spendier than the others, which is why I didn't include it, but when I get to dealer shopping, I will check them out if I can.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Tiffin , of that lot but of course it depends on the models & yearS being compared.

Sucks but it’s true.

Money being of no matter, I’d have a Newell!
But we love our 2012 Georgetown (bought in 2013 left over) so we’ll keep enjoying ours & looking at all the new stuff at the annual RV shows. Wink
Good luck with your decision & enjoy the hunt for your motorhome .
The hunting is a huge part of the pleasure of the process.
There’s no nicer or more comfortable way to travel, IMO.

Oh,FYI, Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance... it never ends on these things.

Pics from this Summer 2020 ( an 8yr old coach )

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Research pictures of what RV's look like after a collision. Most rv's are made extremely cheap. They have cheap wood walls ( if you call particle board wood) and roofs that are bolted or screwed to a frame. In the event of an accident or even just running off the road, they tend to disintegrate. Good luck to those inside (motorhome).
The better made coaches are made with steel or aluminum framed walls and roofs that are covered with aluminum panels or fiberglass ,the side steel is welded to the frame, the roof is welded to the walls, this creates tub sections that are very stiff structurally.

Also, if a rear engine and drive-train, look for a side mounted radiator NOT a rear mounted radiator. The rear mounted radiator is a cheaper (for the manufacturer) way to deal with cooling the engine. The rear radiator makes service or repair of the drive-train much more difficult. The rear mount also enables ton's of road debris and dirt to get sucked in. Higher end coaches will have side mounted radiators.

leveling is also a consideration. Higher end coaches use computerized air leveling. Stop, hit the level button and the coach levels itself and keeps it level. No pads to get sunk into mud or destroy an asphalt surface.

NEVER buy a new RV!!!
NEVER trust the salesperson!!!
ALWAYS have an independent inspection done by a QUALIFIED inspector!!!
Most all brands have brand specific forums. A great place to locate a recommended inspector in your area.
Be willing to travel to look at coaches on your short list.

My feeling is that MANY RV's have been purchased this year. Many by first time buyers and people new to RV's. MANY of these buyers will find that they bought the WRONG RV. They discovered that the RV experience is NOT what they thought. Campgrounds are booked and jam packed. Rates are through the roof. Campers, especially new ones, are RUDE and GROSS to live next to.
These buyers will decide to sell only to find a glut of RV's for sale. They will be upside down on the loan amount and what they can get for there RV.
Next year could be a buyers market.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
We have had 3 diesel pushers, a 1998 Monaco, a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Bus and a 2019 Allegro Bus. All are 40' long.

Our 2019 Allegro Bus is a wonderful coach, easy to drive and very comfortable. The service from Tiffin is first class.

We chose Tiffin after looking at Newmar, Entegra and Tiffin. The Entegra Aspire did not have some luxury and living features we wanted. The Newmar Dutch Star was close to the Tiffin, but with a tag axle, it lacked underbay storage. The Tiffin Allegro Bus 40IP is a wonderful coach!

Think how you will use it and buy hte floorplan that suits you best. All of the makers you mention build a good coach.

Given unlimited funds, I would have a custom Newell also!

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post