SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Supreme Court cancels arguments in dispute over Trump travel ban
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Court cancels arguments in dispute over Trump travel ban Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
The Supreme Court has canceled arguments set for Oct. 10 in the dispute over President Donald Trump's travel ban, after Trump rolled out a new policy Sunday.

The unsigned order from the justices Monday asks both sides to weigh in by Oct. 5 about what to do with the case.

The court had been ready to hear argument about the legality of a 90-day ban on travelers from six mostly Muslim countries and a 120-day ban on refugees from around the world.

The ban expired Sunday and was replaced by a new policy that affects eight counties and has no expiration date.

Those countries are Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen.

Chad, North Korea and Venezuela were not covered by the earlier ban.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sounds like there is now no case or controversy, with a different ban. Back to the drawing board.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
What is the over/under for how long it will take that judge in Hawaii to put it on hold?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can a revised executive order be done each time the ban is challenged, all the while keeping the ban in place? I wonder if DJT has found a workaround of these Leftist obstructionists. Smile

Posts: 5032 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Can a revised executive order be done each time the ban is challenged, all the while keeping the ban in place? I wonder if DJT has found a workaround of these Leftist obstructionists. Smile

Ugh. Until the left gets a guy in power and we have to live under that kind of crap.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Sounds like there is now no case or controversy, with a different ban. Back to the drawing board.

That must be it. They avoid deciding moot cases.

Maybe they feel a need to deal somehow with the existing injunctions and stays in effect.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
So this is an Asian ban now right? North Korea is almost 100% Asian so it's got to be racist against asians to ban travel from there.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

If the changes aren't material, then it won't work. And if they are material and less restrictive, then they are less restrictive.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post