watermelons and the great state of Georgia

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7930019854

July 14, 2019, 12:08 PM
bendable
watermelons and the great state of Georgia
Whom ever is in charge of growing watermelons ,
keep up the great work.
We have purchased three of them in the last 15 days and all were much better than above average.

A job well done to those choosing to grow a fine product.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
July 14, 2019, 12:28 PM
Aeteocles
I had a watermelon this season that literally burst open with juice as soon as I nicked the rind with a knife. That was pretty cool.
July 14, 2019, 12:53 PM
Pipe Smoker
And watermelons, like tomatoes, are a good source of lycopene. An antioxidant that’s thought to help prevent several cancers, notably prostrate cancer. Doesn’t hurt that they they taste good too! I like salt on mine.

Serious about crackers
July 14, 2019, 12:54 PM
ScreamingCockatoo
They come from South Georgia where the soil is sweet
My grandmother grew them and there were none better

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
July 14, 2019, 01:36 PM
.38supersig
Yup.

July 14, 2019, 03:05 PM
rburg
Um..... standard red or the Yellow. I prefer the yellow ones around here. The ones in Indiana haven't ripened yet, but I'm waiting.

Unhappy ammo seeker
July 14, 2019, 06:15 PM
snidera
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Um..... standard red or the Yellow. I prefer the yellow ones around here. The ones in Indiana haven't ripened yet, but I'm waiting.

And they won't for a while. Should be starting about now, but I have 100s of acres around my house that are at least 2 weeks away.
My grandparents didn't get 1 field planted until ~June 15th, normally you're done before memorial day. Really weird year.
July 15, 2019, 06:03 AM
kramden
It's been interesting this year. We have had GOOD watermelons. I told my wife to quit buying them as they were lousy. This year they are bigger and actually sweet. But we still won't buy the basketball ones. They're a joke. Produce is a real guessing game. It looks great but no flavor or sometimes no taste at all. Apples in particular. We have pretty much quit buying them. We throw a lot of produce away.
July 15, 2019, 10:01 AM
gw3971
Enjoy that southern sweetness. Can't get a really good watermelon here in Utah to save our lives.
July 15, 2019, 10:14 AM
rburg
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Can't get a really good watermelon here in Utah to save our lives.

Of course that's bullshit. The best one I ever tasted was from Green River. Yes, the one in Utah. We were on a group jeep ride and passed through Green River/ used that exit. One in our group got on the radio and said he needed to stop for some ice. But he came out of the fruit stand carrying 2 watermelons and the employee followed with a couple of bags of ice. Not your apartment dweller size 8# bags, but nearly dragging a couple of 50#ers. He had 2 big coolers and put the melons in them, then dumped ice on top until the lids wouldn't close.

So off we went to maybe see the pictographs of the black dragon, the desert bighorn and whatever. Late afternoon we stopped under the I-70 bridge that was far above us. Out came the coolers and true to form, the guy didn't have a knife other than a pocket knife. So I rustled around in my jeep and came up with a 7" #1 Randall. It worked just fine. He did a masterful job of slicing them and handing out pieces to everyone. It may have been the ice cold temp, but it was also great.

The Indiana yellow ones are good, but all yellow isn't necessarily.

Unhappy ammo seeker
July 15, 2019, 11:22 AM
flesheatingvirus
I made the best agua fresca with watermelon. Take half of the guts of a big one, blend and strain, mix with lime juice, salt, and agave nectar. Serve with crushed mint leaves.

Yum.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
July 15, 2019, 11:31 AM
LBAR15
Strong year for watermelons for sure. The last one my wife bought was outstanding.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu
July 15, 2019, 12:17 PM
bendable
picked up two more yesterday,
costco had 8 pallets of them .

some were from mexico , some from, USA others from

other places, I stayed with the Georgia melons

July 15, 2019, 12:45 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Cas Walker used to advertise his watermelons as Thumpin Good. Here is a clip from his TV ad. He was a politician and store owner. Also had his own TV show. Dolly Parton was on it once. He tells it like he sees it:

July 15, 2019, 12:56 PM
PASig
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:
Strong year for watermelons for sure. The last one my wife bought was outstanding.

Maybe due to the fact that it's rained almost all of 2019 until recently?

July 15, 2019, 06:27 PM
cas
I had some watermelon yesterday for yje first time in ages. And just like every other piece of fruit I've eaten in the last 25+ years, it wasn't anywhere near ripe. Frown

July 16, 2019, 09:48 AM
lyman
I have a home grown from Halifax Co in the fridge, and a Turbeville Cantalope that I will cut up tonight,

btw,

Watermelons in Easter Hay by Zappa is fantastic

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

July 16, 2019, 10:32 AM
bendable
ask me about a bucket full of cut watermelon and physics

July 16, 2019, 10:52 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
<snip>
btw,

Watermelons in Easter Hay by Zappa is fantastic

I must be slow today – not groking that at all.

Serious about crackers
July 16, 2019, 12:11 PM
bigdeal
The watermelons might be good, but the word I love when it comes to Georgia produce is...Vidalia.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter