SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Silverado model year advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Silverado model year advice Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I enjoyed a 2002 Silverado. It was the perfect truck except for (1)rocker panel rust (2)piston slap and (3)transmission pump whine. If I start searching for a replacement Silverado, do you all know for sure when the rocker panel foam insulation rust problem was fixed? The piston slap? I am thinking of finding a nice used 2004-xxxx example.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5200 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I had a gorgeous '04 2500hd that spent its entire life in MA. It had one speck of rust which I took care of on the rear corner of the bed rail, from the cap rubbing through. No rust anywhere else, so perhaps it was addressed by then. It also stayed outside year-round, so it was not a garage that kept it nice.

There was a little slap built into the motors, it seems- all the 5.3s until '07 or so seem to have it.

I had no trans pump whine, but the fuel pump was a little loud all the time amd then real loud a couple days before it quit.

I bought a '13 to replace it...

My '98 that I had before the '04 was very rust prone. I took everything below the rubber trim on the doors and sides down to bare metal and rolled bedliner on instead. That stopped the rust!

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have an '01 Silverado with a 6.0 with 205k. I also have an '03 Suburban with a 5.3 and 315K. The '01 has piston slap, and is developing some rocker panel rust despite my best efforts to control it. The '03 has no rust issues, and no piston slap.

The '03 was the first year for the electronic throttle body instead of a cable. So far I've had no problems with mine, but you can't manually manipulate it for cleaning the TB, and seems unnecessarily complex to me.

'05 was the first year for E-fans, which is a desirable thing. Less parasitic draw on the motor, and way easier to work around than a mechanical clutch and fan.

Posts: 9188 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Nice mileage on that 2003! My '04 had 118k and would pass everything but a gas station, even while pulling my old camper. I never would have gotten rid of it but I needed a tiny bit more room for kid seats in the back (and bought a crew cab so it has a lot more room inside).

The slap seems to be the norm, and for the most part it doesn't really seems to affect much aside from being a bit annoying. YMMV

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post