SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home water pressure reg valve replacement. Advice?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home water pressure reg valve replacement. Advice? Login/Join 
posted
When I moved into our then 10 yr old home 11 years ago, I noticed that the water pressure was high. Neighbors advised that most homes here have a regulator.

Had one installed. Now failing. pressure fluctuates. Lightning recently took out water heater. Plumber who replaced it said reg should be repaired soon as pressure was 100 psi.Quoted 1000+. Hell, I paid a lot less for original valve.

Gonna get more quotes.

Can someone suggest a brand that will last longer than 10-11 years that isn’t too high?

I’d like everyone to quote the same valve so i can compare apples/oranges.

Thanks!

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 100psi, I’m surprised your interior pipes are still OK. That’s really high pressure. Anyway, regulators can be usually rebuilt with a kit. The model number should be on the bell. Cost about 75$ or so. But, Zurn would be my choice. Maybe around 175$ if you replace it yourself.

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What size is your main line.

What is it make of? Copper, Pex, other metal pipe?

Going to make a difference on recommendation.

How is connected soldered, glued, just screwed on? Also changes the the recommendation.

If it just screwed on, if you get a matching valve in size it is a half hour job if you take your time.

If not spend the extra time and have it isolated and both sides with a ball valves and screw fittings and the next time its a 5 min job.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I replaced my regulator a couple months ago, very easy to do, just get the numbers off the regulator tag and do a search. Found a plumbing supply house online, had the new one in a couple days. Got a pressure gauge from amazon, and in about an hour put in the kit, and adjusted the pressure. Easy repair, YouTube videos available. Ordered from supplyhouse.com

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Our home has been running on 80-100psi for over 40 years with no problem.... well I did have to add a valve to our bidets to reduce the pressure on them / us.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Piping is pvc. Hard to tell if glued. I’m gonna have to excavate around housing.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lineman101:
At 100psi, I’m surprised your interior pipes are still OK. That’s really high pressure. Anyway, regulators can be usually rebuilt with a kit. The model number should be on the bell. Cost about 75$ or so. But, Zurn would be my choice. Maybe around 175$ if you replace it yourself.

This is what I did. Found a rebuild kit online. Took about an hour or so only because I went slow...

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6853 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Have you tried dialing the regulator down?

Like, is it truly failing or did someone dial it up without you noticing?

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Don't know how they work but could it be just trash in the regulator? I suspect the rebuild if you could get the parts or just a replacement is the way to go... have the rebuild kit or another on hand... turn water off to house, open a valve to reduce pressure and take the existing valve apart and look at it... if need be replace parts and re-install and see what happens...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Don't know how they work but could it be just trash in the regulator? I suspect the rebuild if you could get the parts or just a replacement is the way to go... have the rebuild kit or another on hand... turn water off to house, open a valve to reduce pressure and take the existing valve apart and look at it... if need be replace parts and re-install and see what happens...

I didn't find a rebuild kit for mine, but effectively did just that. Left the valve body in place (brass body crimped to PEX) and replaced all the internal parts.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I replaced my regulator a couple months ago, very easy to do, just get the numbers off the regulator tag and do a search. Found a plumbing supply house online, had the new one in a couple days. Got a pressure gauge from amazon, and in about an hour put in the kit, and adjusted the pressure. Easy repair, YouTube videos available. Ordered from supplyhouse.com

This is what I did also a few years ago. Mine was leaking. Read tag. Searched the web. Talked to manufacture. Then found it at HD locally. Easy unscrew remove screw new back on. Also did a pressure gauge from HD that screws on outside spigot. Used this to adjust pressure as recommended by the county.

Buy a pressure gauge for outside spigot and check your water pressure first. If adjustment is needed, do that before just replacing regulator, unless it's leaking. Your local water supply, city/county, can tell you what your pressure is supposed to be. Here the county will come out and verify it for you at no charge, just check pressure at inlet/outlet at street/supply and then at outside water spigots.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for advice. We did check pressure at an outlet and measured at around 100. However, in shower I noticed that pressure can also fluctuate up and down (No simultaneous toilet flushing, washer etc use).

Thanks all recommendations.