SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What will the financial markets do in the next year or two?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What will the financial markets do in the next year or two? Login/Join 
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted
The stock market is broadly down about 20% in 2022. Bonds are down, too. For most people these are where they invest for the future.

"Experts" predict everything from an imminent disaster to an imminent upswing. We might be on the edge of global depression, or not.

What do you predict the markets will do, and what are you doing about it?

Question:
What will the stock market do?

Choices:
We are pretty much at the bottom now
There's another ~10% down before the bottom
Probably another 20%-30% down
The markets are going to drop much much further

Question:
When will the markets bottom?

Choices:
The bottom is happening now
The bottom won't be in for about a year, then it will start going up
It will be 2 or more years before the bottom

Question:
What is your plan for now?

Choices:
I'm trying to ignore the markets, keeping to my existing plan
I'm staying aware but not changing much
I watch closely, making changes as needed
I'm waiting for the right moment to make big moves with my money/investments

Posts: 9445 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I think we are at the bottom now. Hopefully, the Republican congress reverses a lot of the free money bills. Looking forward to the rebound because my 401k makes me sad.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
My thoughts - If things were good right now, I'd say that the DOW and the S&P are actually overvalued by about 10%, while the NASDAQ is about right. The problem is that things are not 'really' good right now. They say that 'the market' is forward looking and it doesn't like uncertainty. Well IMO, the outlook of both of those perspectives doesn't look very good at all right now! Looking at the Market Summary graphs for all of the the major indexes, each one looks like an EKG. They shouldn't look like that, and in good times they don't! I can see the market dropping another 20-30% (maybe more) before it bottoms, and hopefully rebounds. Time will tell...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Gird your loins folks. It’s going to be a shaky few years. Inflation is going to get a lot worse.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
We won’t get back to 2% inflation for at least a decade, if ever in my lifetime

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will go up and it will go down, just like every other year. Impossible to predict. Dow was only down 8 percent while overall market slipped 19 percent. Bonds will do well with an inverted yield curve.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I believe in a couple of years from now we'll look backward at today and realize how good it still is relatively to where we're going.

But it's certainly been a bunch of good times prior to this.

My true opinion about markets, I assume you mean stock exchange, is that it's the gambling field, and I dabble lightly.

Traditionally wealth is better held in tangible assets I can hold and poop on. I stick with those. Everything can be taken from you, but its more difficult for people to steal your land, food, guns, and gold than it is to change a quick rule and just claim your stocks are now no longer yours.

But, hey, I'm a weirdo stashing stuff all over Alaska and fortifying for the long haul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
The markets will climb, as they always do.

Yes, there will be bumps in the road, but it will continue to rise, IMO.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Wealth is for the taking these days. Meaning your wealth. The means to accomplish that is becoming more diverse all the time. The stock market is also ripe for manipulation.
I think we are at least a few years and some hard times from getting back to a legitimate viable market if we ever get back to one.

M2cw, ymmv!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
We're headed for a crash the likes of which no one under 90 has ever seen.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Traditionally wealth is better held in tangible assets I can hold and poop on. I stick with those. Everything can be taken from you, but its more difficult for people to steal your land, food, guns, and gold than it is to change a quick rule and just claim your stocks are now no longer yours.

This is where I am. Cash, gold, silver, and no debt.

My prediction is that the DOW goes under 20K by the end of next year. It's fixin' to get real ugly, and I'll be damned if I'll have my wealth tied up somewhere where someone can take it with a few keystrokes.

I've invested in Hill's Brothers coffee cans and a shovel.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
We're headed for a crash the likes of which no one under 90 has ever seen.

That's exactly when I plan to get back into the market...Right after that! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I stay with Dogs of the Dow/Dividend Aristocrats with some tweaks and hunches thrown in. I want the companies I own to pay me every 3 months and have a long track record of never missing/decreasing % payments and making regular dividend increases.

These are uncharted waters and as others have mentioned, hard assets and a well stocked pantry may be all that matters.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Predictions are hard. Especially of the future.
—Yogi Berra (and others)

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't time the market, and you can't pick winners and losers.

Optimized asset allocation with a long term outlook is the only thing that works consistently.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Diversify, factor in age, forward timelines to withdrawal, & individual risk tolerance.

There are peripheral factors to financial well being. Those could be as mundane as insurance, health savings accounts & debt reduction/elimination.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until dark pools operated by hedge funds are eliminated, the market will be manipulated. We will continue to be financially controlled and suffer for mistakes made by market makers. Hedge funds try to short stocks and cause a seemingly failing business to go bankrupt. If they succeed, they pocket profits by not paying back for the shorted stock of the failed business. If the business prospers, the hedge funds lose by having to continue to pay borrowing fees on the borrowed stocks. Retirement, and other accounts, invested in the hedge funds diminish. This is just an opinion formed after research.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Ask him-

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one knows.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tejas421:
No one knows.

Well, while that’s 100% accurate…

It doesn’t mean we don’t seek to craft intelligent forecasts, dynamic plans and firm actions. (Or at least, in this household we try; not sticking my head in the sand.)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post