SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When we send items into space ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When we send items into space ... Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I have some questions concerning sending items into space.

1) When we send satellites into orbit around Earth does it slightly affect the planet's obliquity? Can that have an affect on weather patterns?

2) How many deep space explorers, other-planetary rovers and other vessels not designed to return to Earth can we send out before the Earth loses enough mass to change either is orbit or the Moon's orbit?

3) What if we send an orbiter to a gas giant, like Uranus, et al., the orbiter malfunctions, crashes into the flammable component of the planet and catches it on fire?

Ok, that's all I need to know tonight. Thanks.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I think the Chinese damning up the Yangtze River causes more wobble and rotation issues.

Also, unless there is gaseous O2 for a fire, it likely ain’t gonna happen. Those gas giants are cold, and in the case of Jupiter (which Irrc 200x the mass of earth) not even a string of shoemaker/levy did much ( would have destroyed earth).

The moon is slowly leaving us already.

Relax bro ... sleep tight.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
1) Yes but undetectable

2) No we lose a lot of material to solar wind, us shooting a few tons into space won't matter. Also most of the weight is fuel which is burnt within our atmosphere.

3) If the giant balls of fire (asteroids, meteorites, comets, and planetesimals) hasn't caught one on fire, we are very unlikely to.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20841 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
... relax bro ... sleep tight.
Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
... If the giant balls of fire (asteroids, meteorites, comets, and planetesimals) hasn't caught one on fire, we are very unlikely to.
It would be cool though.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The mass leaving Earth is of no consequence--much more mass than that falls onto the Earth from Space in the form of dust, micrometeorites, and charged particles than ever departs.

If a spacecraft carrying as part of its fuel some liquid oxygen were to crash into one of the gas giants, I presume there'd be a (relatively) small fire. But as soon as that oxygen was consumed, the fire would go out.

I think I'd prefer to worry more about something happening to ignite fusion in Jupiter, which is essentially a small star that never started up. (It didn't have enough mass to force ignition.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
... I think I'd prefer to worry more about something happening to ignite fusion in Jupiter, which is essentially a small star that never started up. (It didn't have enough mass to force ignition.) ...
Yeah, that was actually a good book.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
1.) No. No.

2.) As many as we want as it won't make a shit's bit of difference.

3.) It would burn up and life would go on just like yesterday.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
1. Tiny immeasurable difference.

2. Even millions would be (see #1).

3. No O2 for such a fire. Methane and hydrogen require oxygen to burn. Recall when Shoemaker-Levy 9 crashed into Jupiter?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Adding a billion people to the planet every 20 years would do more than all the space junk combined.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am more worried that the population will continue to increase in India, some child will be born an idiot savant mathematician who will accidentally divide by zero, and fuck us all.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hey Mark, if you misplaced something in Earth's orbit you can find it here Big Grin

http://StuffIn.Space/

They track Satellites, Rocket Bodies, and Debris. Click on the object, and it will even group all of the stuff floating around that came from the same launch as the object you selected.

Make sure you zoom all the way out to see the stuff that really is, way out there! Cool

But also zoom up close to your part of the world to see what is floating above you ~ then stick your head out the window and try to find it to confirm it is passing over and not crashing down! Eek

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Only if they crowded to one edge of the Earth.
Then? We d tip.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Adding a billion people to the planet every 20 years would do more than all the space junk combined.
But that's all the same stuff. Adding more people doesn't add mass to the planet.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:

Conservation of mass.

The people don't come from space, their mass is made up of materials already on the planet surface--mostly water and carbon.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Hey Mark, if you misplaced something in Earth's orbit you can find it here Big Grin

http://StuffIn.Space/

They track Satellites, Rocket Bodies, and Debris. Click on the object, and it will even group all of the stuff floating around that came from the same launch as the object you selected.

Make sure you zoom all the way out to see the stuff that really is, way out there! Cool

But also zoom up close to your part of the world to see what is floating above you ~ then stick your head out the window and try to find it to confirm it is passing over and not crashing down! Eek
Awesome! Big Grin

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
But that's all the same stuff. Adding more people doesn't add mass to the planet.

Unless all that birds and beez jazz is bupkis, and the womb is simply a worm whole from another galaxy or dimension or sumthin'...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post