SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    John Bogle - father of index investing - dead at 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Bogle - father of index investing - dead at 89 Login/Join 
posted
RIP Mr. Bogle

a true visionary

https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...ies-at-89/ar-BBSlBOP

John C. Bogle, the father of the retail index fund and an outspoken champion for low-cost investing that won him heroic status among individual investors, died Wednesday. He was 89.

Bogle founded the Vanguard Group, the mutual fund behemoth known for inexpensive mutual funds that track a market index rather than trying to beat it. Vanguard is now a giant of the asset-management industry that has shifted toward the passive style of investing and saved trillions of dollars for investors in the process.

“Jack Bogle made an impact on not only the entire investment industry, but more importantly, on the lives of countless individuals saving for their futures or their children’s futures,” Vanguard Chief Executive Tim Buckley said in a news release Wednesday afternoon that confirmed Bogle’s death. “He was a tremendously intelligent, driven and talented visionary whose ideas completely changed the way we invest. We are honored to continue his legacy of giving every investor ‘a fair shake.’”

Bogle formed Vanguard in 1974 and it began operations the next year. As of Sept. 30, 2018, it had about $5.3 trillion in global funds under management, according to the company.

When Bogle first launched a fund tracking the S&P 500 index (SPX) at a low cost to investors in 1976, he called it “the Vanguard experiment,” but it was widely derided as “Bogle’s folly.” Known then as the First Index Investment Trust, its initial underwriting collected just $11 million; it is now known as the Vanguard 500 Index Fund (VFINX) , and has $441 billion in assets, Vanguard noted Wednesday.

“Don’t look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack,” Bogle famously said of the passive-investing approach.

Beyond convincing the investment community that index funds were worthwhile, Bogle also pushed Vanguard to offer the funds directly to consumers, avoiding brokers. Vanguard said Wednesday that the approach has saved shareholders hundreds of millions of dollars in sales commissions. Vanguard says its average expense ratio is 0.11%.

Bogle remained at the helm of Vanguard until stepping down in 1996. He stayed in the public eye, however, making speeches and commenting on the markets. In 1999, Bogle created the Bogle Financial Markets Resource Center, which he ran as president until his death.

“Presumably you are accumulating money now and putting money away for the future. Do not, under any circumstances, stop doing that. That is the first rule. Don’t stop investing,” Bogle told MarketWatch in 2017, when asked for general rules for investing. “The second rule is, particularly for the younger people in the world: A good solid market decline is a blessing. You’ll be buying — if you invest each month — stocks at lower and lower prices. Don’t be antagonized by that; use that as an opportunity of a lifetime.”

Bogle is survived by his wife, whom he married in 1956, as well as six children, 12 grandchildren and six great-grandchildren, according to Vanguard. His death was first reported by Philly.com.

---------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vanguard said Wednesday that the approach has saved shareholders hundreds of millions of dollars in sales commissions.

I would be surprised if that number were not in the billions.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I've been enjoying the fruits of my Vanguard Index fund for more than 10 years.

May you rest in peace good Sir!

Posts: 530 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
He did good for so many of us investors. Thank you, John Bogle!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP sir.
his invention of the index fund has led to nothing but good for small retail investors. Competition has caused costs to go nothing but down. There are index funds available for $1 minimum initial investment and $1 subsequent investment and no cost maintenance fees with annual expenses as low as .03% expense ratios. That’s $3 per $10,000. There is zero reason for any American to not be an investor

Posts: 4775 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have read all his books many times over. I don't pretend to understand as completely as I should and will. He made such a difference in our lives. What a gentleman. R.I.P Jack.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
A great man.

His book "Common Sense on Mutual Funds" got me started with investing.

There's even a forum devoted to his investment advice called Bogleheads. I hung out there 10 years ago.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So what's the story of him being forced out at Vanguard?

They are literally 15 minutes away from me as I type this.

I heard he was forced out by the very people he groomed to run the place.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
JALLEN and Mr. Bogle are at this moment up in the heavens discussing investment strategy over a glass of strong whisky.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I do not know a ton about him. But have been a VG guy for a long time.
I think he did good for a lot of just regular, hardworking Americans.
He helped many make a nice retirement. And helped many avoid the shysters and sharks that feed upon and make a killing on those who did not know were to turn and lost most if not all to them.

May he RIP and thank you sir.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
Have read all his books many times over. I don't pretend to understand as completely as I should and will.

I think that's the beauty of his system. You can learn and understand as much or little as you want. He showed us that no special knowledge or hours of research was needed for the average investor to make money in the stock market.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A gentleman and all around good soul. The world became dimmer today...

Posts: 13814 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
He made his part of the world better, and I follow his advice. RIP.

He certainly made a fight of it - he survived about 6 heart attacks and a heart transplant.

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Since John Bogle was local to Philly, our local conservative talk radio guy did a piece on him and there's some good info about his life and a couple funny anecdotes like him owning only one car, a 7 year old Volvo.

Listen here:

quote:

Art Carey, writer and editor for the Philadelphia Inquirer, joins The Chris Stigall Show to discuss the passing of investor and philanthropist John C. Bogle. The Vanguard Group founder is credited with having created the first index mutual fund in 1975, subsequently making low-cost investing available to ordinary people. Vanguard is now the largest investment firm in the world.

John Bogle Recap

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Fantastic website and forum for those of you who wish to educate yourselves on DIY low cost index investing:

https://www.bogleheads.org/

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
JALLEN and Mr. Bogle are at this moment up in the heavens discussing investment strategy over a glass of strong whisky.

Arguing about value stocks over indexing probably! Smile

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Very sad that he passed.

I'm very grateful for how he changed investing for individuals, and that I learned about index investing and Vanguard in my early 20s.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Another Vanguard retirement account investor here. RIP and God bless Mr. Bogle and thank you for your thoughtfulness and efforts in bringing reason, value, and favorable returns to the small investor. May you be collecting the heavenly dividends of your contributions to humanity.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post