SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just curious: US passport, a card?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just curious: US passport, a card? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Am watching an old episode of “Major crimes” TV show (dubbed in spanish) and the case involves fake US passports in the shape of plastic Id cards. They created them using a special 3D printer / scanner.

I don’t get around much anymore but wonder if the old passport format has been replaced and stamps are a thing of the past in the most advanced parts of the world.
Last time i used my passport it was scanned at control points.

Both the 3D printing and the plastic card were a novelty for me.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The card is an add on you can purchase with the book. I think it is only good for land crossings into Canada and Mexico.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
There is a passport card. For entry to Canada and Mexico. There is also a traditional Passport for complete international travel.

That may not be the complete explanation but pretty much covers it. Hope that helps.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
US now issues a full passport and an optional plastic ID card.

The ID card can be used as proof of ID at Federal buildings and installations, and for flying domestically. it can also be used for border crossings into Canada, and I think, Mexico.

The Passport does all that and is used for International Travel worldwide.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the card is also valid for travel to most of the Caribbean as well. When I fly domestic I use the passport card as my ID.

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
US now issues a full passport and an optional plastic ID card.

The ID card can be used as proof of ID at Federal buildings and installations, and for flying domestically. it can also be used for border crossings into Canada, and I think, Mexico.

Yep, this what the plastic card is. It's exactly the same size as a credit card or drivers license and his your info plus your picture on it.

Mrs. Flash and I each have one. We plan on using it in Lieu of a REAL ID card starting March of 2023.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one I use as a 2nd ID it really flustered some people. It was a very Nominal extra fee when I got my passport as well in California they had issues with RealID. The passport card works as a realID

Note that’s it’s only Good for land or sea entry to Canada or Mexico and Bermuda and 17 Caribbean islands. NOT Air entry.

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:

Note that’s it’s only Good for land or sea entry to Canada or Mexico and Bermuda and 17 Caribbean islands. NOT Air entry.

That is not my understanding. I could be wrong.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Passport card is handy for Airport ID as well although they will accept our less than secure 'unreal' ID (Drivers License). Not sure when our state will join the required Real ID requirement for airport clearance. I think its in early 2023. Here in Washington State you can get a drivers license with basically a rent receipt or power bill and proof you can fog a mirror.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the state department website. https://travel.state.gov/conte...ly-domestically.html

*Use the passport card when entering the United States at land-border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Do not use it for international air travel.

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:

You are wrong. The card is not valid for international air travel.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:

You are wrong. The card is not valid for international air travel.

which is why nobody should bother with the card. If you are in, say, Bahamas on a cruise and due to a personal/family emergency, you need to cut the trip short and fly home, you can't.

Passport book much more flexible. I suppose if you were just going to drive to a border town, the card might be ok, but one should be aware of the limitations.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
What you really need is the old school passport book AND a Global Entry Card. The old school passport book works anywhere and Global Entry Card lets you quickly get through US Customs.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

which is why nobody should bother with the card. If you are in, say, Bahamas on a cruise and due to a personal/family emergency, you need to cut the trip short and fly home, you can't.

Passport book much more flexible. I suppose if you were just going to drive to a border town, it might be ok, but one should be aware of the limitations.

Well I carry both. I use the passport card exclusively when I fly domestically. But I also always have my passport book on me as well whenever I travel out of the state, whether I'm traveling internationally or not.

And no one needs to keep his Global Entry card with him when traveling. It isn't used at all when going through the Global Entry lanes. I'm not even sure what the card is for. Having said that, I always have it with me anyway.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And no one needs to keep his Global Entry card with him when traveling. It isn't used at all when going through the Global Entry lanes. I'm not even sure what the card is for. Having said that, I always have it with me anyway.
Apparently you haven't traveled through Toronto Pearson lately. US CBP is stationed in several major cities in Canada (e.g. Toronto), and the security screening coming back to US is both Canada and US CBP. They will not let you in Global Entry line without the card regardless of the fact that it's built into passport.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Passport book much more flexible. I suppose if you were just going to drive to a border town, it might be ok, but one should be aware of the limitations.

That's only a good reason for people going certain places. For those who have absolutely no plans to leave the U.S., the Passport card is a much better, much easier to carry ID than the much larger passport.

I have both, but I'll never use the passport again, just the card.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Apparently you haven't traveled through Toronto Pearson lately.

No. Canada is on my shit list.

quote:
US CBP is stationed in several major cities in Canada (e.g. Toronto), and the security screening coming back to US is both Canada and US CBP. They will not let you in Global Entry line without the card regardless of the fact that it's built into passport.

Nonsense. What you're referring to isn't "Global Entry" then. It sounds like something else if it is inside of Canada. Nevertheless, if your card gets you through those Canadian airports faster, might as well carry it as you say.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

That's only a good reason for people going certain places. For those who have absolutely no plans to leave the U.S., the Passport card is a much better, much easier to carry ID than the much larger passport.

I have both, but I'll never use the passport again, just the card.

Yeah, that makes sense.

My Drivers license doesn't expire for 5 more years and it's not "real ID" compliant.

I don't plan on going to DMV just to get a so called "Real ID". I plan to use my passport (book) until I need to renew the driver's license.

So, sure, the passport card would have been easier, once so called "Real ID" is required. Which I think starts next year unless they extend it again.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, sure, the passport card would have been easier, once so called "Real ID" is required. Which I think starts next year unless they extend it again.

March of 2023 IIRC.

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
We live close to Canada and used to go up a couple of times a year to either a friends' or family member's house. My wife was traveling internationally for business about 5 times a year at the time so the last thing she needed was a lost or damaged passport. The card for those cross border trips prevented that happening. At the time we got ours the extra cost worked out to $3/year.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post