SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Queston about pneumococcal vaccines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Queston about pneumococcal vaccines Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I've already had the Prevnar 13 immunization, but can I also receive an additional PNEUMOVAX 23 immunization ? I had the 13 about a year ago. If I had known about the 23 at the time, I would have looked into it. Now I'm wondering if I can remedy that, since I'm in a chronic high risk group for pneumococcal disease.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8714 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've already had the Prevnar 13 immunization, but can I also receive an additional PNEUMOVAX 23 immunization ? I had the 13 about a year ago. If I had known about the 23 at the time, I would have looked into it. Now I'm wondering if I can remedy that, since I'm in a chronic high risk group for pneumococcal disease.

I asked my internist this question several months back. He told me to wait. All vaccines carry some small risk. Being that you are in a high risk groups do not rely on information except from someone who knows your complete medical history. If you have a pulmonologist or oncologist those are the folks to answer that question.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My endocrinologist said yes, but only after a careful review of my records and risk factors. Have a visit with your doctor. My job often puts me in fairly close contact with sick people.

Posts: 17153 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The current recommendation is to get both. If you are on Medicare, you'll want to wait 1 year so Medicare will pay. If not, it's 6 months. If you are over 65,then you'll get each vaccine once. Under 65 with certain underlying conditions you'll get it now and then when you're 65, making sure at least 5 years have passed between the same vaccine (Pneumovax to Pneumovax, etc). I'm a pharmacist and I administer these quite often, in addition to many others. If you have any other questions, shoot me an email.

Posts: 2160 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Thanks Erick. Exactly what I needed to know. I have a lot of respect for pharmacists, they know their stuff, and I've never met one that wasn't friendly and extremely helpful.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8714 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post