SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon Governor sicks state police on Republican Senators
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon Governor sicks state police on Republican Senators Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
Eleven Republican Senators walked out of session in protest of hb2020 which is a cap and trade bill.

These Senators are standing up for We the People.

Oregon's Governor Kate Brown has sent the Oregon State Police out to bring these Senators back.

https://www.kptv.com/news/gov-...8b-55e3aec8dac1.html

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not the first time. I remember something similar from the past, found this from Texas where Demokrats where hiding:

https://www.voanews.com/archiv...ting-vote-2003-05-15

Texas Democrats Flee to Neighboring State to Avoid Redistricting Vote - 2003-05-15
October 29, 2009 09:26 AM

Democratic state legislators in Texas adopted an unusual strategy this week in a political battle with Republicans; they fled the state to neighboring Oklahoma.

On Monday, the Republican-led Texas state legislature was preparing to convene when it suddenly became apparent that virtually all the Democrats in the Texas House were nowhere to be found.

Republicans quickly ordered state troopers and the legendary Texas Rangers to round them up. But the Democrats were one step ahead of the law. They fled to neighboring Oklahoma and set up shop in a hotel.

Democrats left the state to block an attempt by Texas Republicans to redraw the state's U.S. congressional districts. The redistricting plan would change several districts and make it likely that Republicans could win at least four more congressional seats from Democrats in the next election.

Since the Democrats did not have enough votes in the state legislature to block the plan, they decided to deny Republicans the quorum they need to conduct legislative business. The legislature requires at least 100 of the 150 house members to be present to debate and pass laws.

State Representative Jim Dunnam is one of more than 50 Democrats who fled to Oklahoma. "To our families and our friends and our supporters, I would like to say thank you," he said. "We miss you. We are doing fine."

Republicans like this state legislator accused Democrats of doing the unthinkable in Texas; running away from a political fight. "What we are witnessing right now is the tyranny of the minority," said a Republican legislator.

The Democrats may have blocked the redistricting plan for now, but Republicans say they are not giving up.

Republicans took control of the Texas House in January for the first time in 130 years. During the past 40 years Texas, which at one time was a bastion of Democratic support, has grown increasingly Republican.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Democrats did this a few years ago in Oregon too.

They just don't like it when the tactics they employ when they don't like a bill are used on them.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
So exactly what statute authorizes the State Police to go to another state and aprehend someone? Is there a law are they in violation of?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Some of the Republicans are reportedly in Idaho...they just have to hold out until June 30th - end of legislative session.

Brownshirt Brown can GFOAD

quote:

11 Oregon GOP senators flee to avoid climate change vote. They may be hiding in Idaho

You’ve heard the stories about how Idaho is a great place to live.

Some Oregon state legislators are reportedly checking out the Gem State for themselves after fleeing their home state.

Eleven Republican senators walked out of the Oregon Capitol on Thursday to block a vote on a climate bill. The bill has already passed the Oregon House and was expected to easily pass in the Senate, where Democrats hold a supermajority. But without at least two of the Republicans who left, there wasn’t a quorum to hold a vote.

Peggy Boquist, wife of GOP Sen. Brian Boquist of Dallas, 15 miles west of Salem, told CNN that the 11 senators are together out of state.

“They all left and are in Idaho. I don’t have a way of contacting him,” Peggy Boquist said.

Oregon Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, authorized the Oregon State Police to pick up the wayward lawmakers, but their jurisdiction ends at the Snake River that separates Oregon from Idaho. The Oregon governor has the authority to order the Oregon State Police to round up missing legislators for a vote.

“It’s time for the Senate Republicans to show up and do the job they were elected to do,” Brown said at a news conference, the Associated Press reported.

And the Idaho State Police aren’t offering any help, saying they lack jurisdiction.

“The Idaho State Police is not involved in the search for Oregon lawmakers, as these individuals are not suspected of breaking any Idaho laws,” ISP Col. Kedrick Wills said in a statement provided to the Idaho Statesman.

Brian Boquist caused a stir Wednesday as he issued a warning to the Oregon State Police as the threat of a walkout loomed.

“Send bachelors and come heavily armed,” Boquist said, in remarks reported by KGW-TV in Portland. “I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”

Sen. Dallas Heard of Roseburg, 70 miles south of Eugene, told the Roseburg News-Review that he had arrived in an undisclosed state with “grumpy kids in the car.”

“And he had pretty sketchy cell service,” the newspaper reported.

Under state law, the missing senators will each be fined $500 a day, beginning Friday, until they return to the Capitol.

This is the second walkout during the six-month session, which by law must end June 30. Republicans left to block a school funding tax package. It lasted four days, until Brown agreed to shelve bills on gun control and vaccination requirements.

Peter Courtney, the Oregon Senate president, pleaded with the missing senators to return.

“I beg and beseech my fellow legislators to come to the floor,” Courtney said from the Senate floor, the Associated Press reported. “I need you, the Legislature needs you, the people of Oregon need you to pass budgets to take care of our citizens.”

The climate bill would place a limit on greenhouse gas emissions and require companies to buy permits to pollute. The number of permits would eventually decline and become more expensive, giving companies an incentive to invest in pollution-control equipment.

https://www.idahostatesman.com...rticle231826048.html

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Oregon seems to be a pretty f-ed up place beyond the trending political beliefs.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Oregon seems to be a pretty f-ed up place beyond the trending political beliefs.

Unfortunately like Washington the I-5 corridor makes the rules for the rest of us.

Over here in eastern Oregon we are mostly conservative, and we tend to keep to ourselves.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I wonder what are the consequences if they were to resist the OSP? Is there a crime or just the (D) governors ego involved?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I hope they are somewhere protected by determined armed men.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
This is not the first time. I remember something similar from the past, found this from Texas where Demokrats where hiding:

https://www.voanews.com/archiv...ting-vote-2003-05-15

Texas Democrats Flee to Neighboring State to Avoid Redistricting Vote - 2003-05-15
October 29, 2009 09:26 AM

Democratic state legislators in Texas adopted an unusual strategy this week in a political battle with Republicans; they fled the state to neighboring Oklahoma.

On Monday, the Republican-led Texas state legislature was preparing to convene when it suddenly became apparent that virtually all the Democrats in the Texas House were nowhere to be found.

Republicans quickly ordered state troopers and the legendary Texas Rangers to round them up. But the Democrats were one step ahead of the law. They fled to neighboring Oklahoma and set up shop in a hotel.

Democrats left the state to block an attempt by Texas Republicans to redraw the state's U.S. congressional districts. The redistricting plan would change several districts and make it likely that Republicans could win at least four more congressional seats from Democrats in the next election.

Since the Democrats did not have enough votes in the state legislature to block the plan, they decided to deny Republicans the quorum they need to conduct legislative business. The legislature requires at least 100 of the 150 house members to be present to debate and pass laws.

State Representative Jim Dunnam is one of more than 50 Democrats who fled to Oklahoma. "To our families and our friends and our supporters, I would like to say thank you," he said. "We miss you. We are doing fine."

Republicans like this state legislator accused Democrats of doing the unthinkable in Texas; running away from a political fight. "What we are witnessing right now is the tyranny of the minority," said a Republican legislator.

The Democrats may ihave blocked the redistricting plan for now, but Republicans say they are not giving up.

Republicans took control of the Texas House in January for the first time in 130 years. During the past 40 years Texas, which at one time was a bastion of Democratic support, has grown increasingly Republican.
That was one time. Another time, they ran off to New Mexico. When they came back, a female Hispanic Senator (IIRC, it was Leticia van de Putte-married a white man) had a press conference where she said she asked the Republicans why the Democrats were being treated so badly (arrest warrants and more). She said the unnamed Republican Senator told her "If you weren't acting like wetbacks, we wouldn't have to do this".

So the Republican legislators called her bluff, demanding the name of the Senator. She said "he apologized to me in private and I told him I'd speak no more on the matter". Today, she'd be lauded for her "bravery" and "mercy", rather than forced to resign in shame.

Posts: 5759 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Unfortunately like Washington the I-5 corridor makes the rules for the rest of us.

Over here in eastern Oregon we are mostly conservative, and we tend to keep to ourselves.

I travel through SEA/PDX several times a year and occasionally go to the eastern portions of both states.

Both WA & OR are absolutely fucking insane west of the mountains, and 90% normal to the east of it.

Driving is different too. On the I-5 corridor you have to play Grand Theft Auto in order to get anywhere, with the libtards hypermilling in their virtue-signaling electric car. Watch out for tweekers running around too. Go east of the mountains and it's like driving in rural Texas, where people wave and give way if they are going slow.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If the law is about controlling pollutants, then it might be OK. If it is about "Climate Change" then it should not be passed. (CO2 is not a pollutant.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
If the law is about controlling pollutants, then it might be OK. If it is about "Climate Change" then it should not be passed. (CO2 is not a pollutant.)

flashguy

Knowing what you know about Oregon commie Democrats, which do you think is more likely?

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy
As far as I know it is about getting their foot in the door on a european union type carbon tax. Nothing good from this kind of sheet.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
lots of great people here in Oregon, the problem is Portland Salem and (Eugene) where I live controlling the rest of the state mainly the Portland freak show. lots of us here cant stand her, lots of signs in the back of vehicles saying " Kate Brown sucks" or "if it's brown flush it down"
Oregon is a beautiful state and a great place to live, the Willamette valley being ideal, your 1 hour away from the coast or the mountains.

The problem is all the Californians moving up here years ago and pushing their ideas on everyone.

After traveling to lots of places I have been in the country the second you get off the plane and smell the beautiful fresh air, it's hard to imagine living any place else. lots of hunting and fishing, crabbing here. just wish we had the means to flip the state.
Trust me lots of people here hate where our state is going and we are doing our best to change it, we are just simply out numbered.

Posts: 5603 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
lots of great people here in Oregon, the problem is Portland Salem and (Eugene) where I live controlling the rest of the state mainly the Portland freak show. lots of us here cant stand her, lots of signs in the back of vehicles saying " Kate Brown sucks" or "if it's brown flush it down"
Oregon is a beautiful state and a great place to live, the Willamette valley being ideal, your 1 hour away from the coast or the mountains.

The problem is all the Californians moving up here years ago and pushing their ideas on everyone.

After traveling to lots of places I have been in the country the second you get off the plane and smell the beautiful fresh air, it's hard to imagine living any place else. lots of hunting and fishing, crabbing here. just wish we had the means to flip the state.
Trust me lots of people here hate where our state is going and we are doing our best to change it, we are just simply out numbered.
To some degree, Oregon brought that on themselves. When I lived there in the 1960s, most Oregonians didn't want anyone else to come there (not limited to Liberals).

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fair warning to Texas, Florida, and the rest who are on the receiving end of liberal migration.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

Fair warning to Texas, Florida, and the rest who are on the receiving end of liberal migration.
Oh, we're aware of it! We just don't know what to do about it. It's against the law to just shoot them when they cross the state line.

flashguy

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'm pissed because sadly, the Democrats are threatening to bring back the once dead omnibus gun control bill SB-978 as punishment to the R's for their walkout over climate control.

Seriously is this any way to run a state? Threatening gun control when the debate is over climate control. W-T-F???

https://www.nraila.org/article...ors-prevent-a-quorum

Today, the Oregon Senate Minority Caucus left the Capitol building and are refusing to attend floor sessions in order to prevent a quorum on certain pieces of legislation. Because of this, anti-gun legislators are now threatening to bring back the omnibus gun control package, Senate Bill 978, by forcing a floor vote should enough Senators return to the Capitol. In order to prevent SB 978 from being considered, a quorum must not be reached for the remainder of the legislative session, which is to run through June 30th.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10931 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
So exactly what statute authorizes the State Police to go to another state and apprehend someone? Is there a law are they in violation of?

The Governorness of Oregon can't use state police to bring state senators back to the state if they leave Oregon.

As has already been posted, this has happened in Texas before - twice in my lifetime.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post