Find
Notify
Tools

Goat meat Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have eaten a fair amount of goat at Mexican and Pakistani restaurants. It is more beef-tasting than lamb, and sometimes it seems very much like beef. I like lamb better because it does have a distinct flavor. Goat is good, but in a sauce, it doesn't seem a lot different than beef.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I went to a wedding reception in the Philippines 45 years ago. I found it to be very tasty, first and last time I have ever had it.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
My BIL makes a great Goat curry. He learned it from a fellow inmate in a North Vietnamese prison 1975-1988.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I’ve had goat and dog, both were comparable.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
That being said, how common is goat consumption? I've never seen it on the menu even until now.

It's quite common in Indian, Pakistani, and middle eastern dishes. Muslims don't eat pork and Hindus typically don't eat beef — so meats like chicken, fish, goat, and lamb are common and can be eaten by both groups (given correct preparation of the non-fish meats).

Posts: 432 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Years ago I worked in a bakery with Jamaicans, and they would bring in curry goat every once in a while, I remember it being really good sort of like a lighter color but slightly gamier beef. It was full of bones though.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
We’ve got about 115 “meat” goats here on the ranch that we use for fuel reduction / cleanup. They’re a mix of Boer, Spanish, and Kiko. Goats are the (somewhat) domesticated animal most like deer. They eat almost everything and can be a real challenge to contain.

Don’t believe I’ve ever eaten goat meat, but the Hispanic folks that come by to buy the red oak firewood (coast live oaks) that results (mostly) from cleaning up down trees, and (very little) from the occasional pruning are often asking if I have any goats to sell. Occasionally, one will become enough of a pain in the neck that we decide it is time for him or her to “Go see Gilberto.”

Depending on what region of Mexico they’re from they may refer to the goats as cabra (cabrito is little goat) or chivo (chivito is also little goat).

Posts: 6915 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had Jamaican curried goat and love it. That and ox tail are really good when done right.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post