Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goat meat Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Have you guys had goat meat? I tried goat in biryani for the first time. I was apprehensive at first but I'm not sure I could really tell the difference between it an certain cuts of beef or pork. It was well marinated and stewed in the biryani.

Honestly, it's one of those situations where if it tastes like chicken, then why not just use chicken (cheap, universally available). But I guess an Indian restaurant may not use beef or pork, hence the goat. But outside of that, not sure what goat brings to the table. It wasn't distasteful, actually pretty mild and tender. But I'd just rather use beef or pork I guess.

That being said, how common is goat consumption? I've never seen it on the menu even until now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I had some in Monterrey Mexico many years ago. Along with little tiny green chilies. It was ok. I wouldn't seek it out as a delicacy. But I'd eat it again if it was what was prepared (well) for me. I believe it was a common dish in that locale.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It's possible I've had it while partying/celebrating w/ my old Mexican heritage buddy. Even way up here in Michigan, proper Hispanic food can be had while listening to a garage band w/ an accordion (a lost art?).
But he always called it Cabrito. Maybe that doesn't encapsulate all goat dishes.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've eaten it overseas, and with friends who homestead. I think it's a little too much effort for the return as far as meat production, but I haven't had any I disliked yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cabrito in the South

Ate curried goat frequently when I lived in Jamaica

Hunted feral goats frequently when I lived in Western Australia.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You need to have barbecued cabrito at Coopers in Llano (Not the one on I-10 in Junction). It’s Muy good.
Pro tip: go for lunch. Get there at 11:00, you get to choose your meat off the pit and you’ll have a better selection.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I tried goat in biryani
None of the maps that I looked at show where biryani is.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've had it in Jamaican and Guyanian curries.

It's good, but didn't bring anything special to my taste.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxl:
Cabrito in the South

Had cabrito outside Nuevo Laredo at a hole in the wall place my dad's cousin took me to. Quite good.
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I tried goat in biryani
None of the maps that I looked at show where biryani is.

I believe biryani is the name of the dish
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biryani

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15275 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've had it but not in many years. They served it at most all of the Catholic / Italian festivals in the Chicago area where I grew up. Mostly in close knit ethnic neighborhoods.

It's okay, but being 17-18 years old, I went for the Italian sausage and or beef sandwiches and sneaked a glass full of peaches and wine.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I essentially eat beef burnt ends with rice, bell pepper, onion and mushrooms 3-4 times a week. Depending on how I season the beef, it can remind my of goat, but with fewer blood vessels. Goats that feed almost exclusively on mesquite are delicious.

Posts: 3507 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's not super common around here, but I've had Jamaican curry goat as well as Mexican goat birria before. Both were good, but considering all the spices involved, I'm not sure that I could pinpoint a specific "goat" taste.

However, I have a friend who recently got into raising goats. She has promised me some of their initial harvest. So now I have to figure out how I want to try to cook goat.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Goat is extremely lean and mild in flavor. It’s great in stews.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow. Seems like goat is unsurprising and somewhat commonplace. Who knew? I need to get out and smell the roses more. My life is surprisingly bland compared to you guys.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
In Sudan, they killed the goats and roasted them on the banks of the Nile River. I thought the meat was kind of greasy.

While we were there, two guys came up the river in an 18 foot Glaspar boat with a 50 HP Mercury OB. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During the Summers when I lived in colorado I had a buddy that roasted a couple of kid goats and an adult for the 4th of July.
I always volunteered to help, Beer was involved and the fire pit needed built.
Great times and delicious food!

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m an OFF THE BOAT (literally) legal immigrant. In my culture we eat a lot of goat. It has a gamey flavor just roasted and it takes in the flavor of spices and ingredients when it pot cooked. Good stuff!! I prefer venison.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burria is a stew type dish that can be made of goat, beef, pork or lamb. It’s something my wife and I enjoy on occasion as it’s a dish that can be found around San Diego and the surrounding areas.

Chivo is goat meat. We have a couple of Mexican markets with deli counters near us that serve tacos using goat which we will order sometimes for a change of pace.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Had goat in South America and Caribbean countries…and other stuff on a stick purchased on the side of the road

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Similar to lamb in flavor. I had some curried goat chops in an Indian restaurant we found in Round Rock and they were nom.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post