SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitchen cabinet question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen cabinet question Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I'm looking at adding some cabinets to my kitchen and having a new counter installed.

Is it easier/cheaper/preferred to keep the existing cabinets and just add new ones in addition (and change the doors and hardware on the old ones) or to rip out the old ones and just install all new ones?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4204 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I’d fight like crazy to avoid trying to match finishes. I added two new cabinets and put on all new doors and hardware then painted everything.
Trying to match stains and finishes gives me the heaves. YMMV
P.S. get the wife’s finish approval first. Finishing cabinets is not like moving furniture around.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
The old ones are painted white right now and will just be repainted white.

The new ones are going to be painted white as well so hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to match.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4204 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
The old ones are painted white right now and will just be repainted white.

The new ones are going to be painted white as well so hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to match.

I guess as long as you're going to be painting all the cabinets. Just be aware that there are hundreds of different "whites"

https://www.hgtv.com/design/de...aint-colors-for-2017

https://www.elledecor.com/desi...right-white-a-70889/

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
I'm looking at adding some cabinets to my kitchen and having a new counter installed.

Is it easier/cheaper/preferred to keep the existing cabinets and just add new ones in addition (and change the doors and hardware on the old ones) or to rip out the old ones and just install all new ones?

Depends on how much you're going to change the layout when adding cabinets.

Also depends on the quality of the old cabinets and if you are planning on adding pull-out shelves.

When I did my last kitchen, I went with all new cabinets rather than re-facing the old ones, because I wanted to go with "frameless" boxes and Danish (hidden) hardware...plus the old cabinets weren't very level anymore

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I totally gutted my house out in 2011. To save money I was very close to refinishing the existing cabinets I had. I wanted drawers on the lowers, not doors. I ultimately didn't think the old cabs from 1964 would look good in a totally new kitchen. I am so glad I did not do that and spent the money on new cabinets. They are so much nicer than what I had. Just my .02.

https://imgur.com/a/Ukd5Fom

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
A cabinet is just a box hanging on the wall before you put doors on them. Keep the boxes, add new boxes, then paint and reface with with new doors and hardware.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Well, there are some questions....

1 - Are the old cabinets in good shape?
2 - Are the old cabinets cheap or quality (i.e. mostly particle board)?
3 - How long do you plan to live in the house?
4 - Do you just want more space or do you want to add value to the house as well?
5 - Do you have a budget adequate to replace all the cabinets? (Replacing with quality boxes isn't cheap.)

I've owned a bunch of houses over the years and a kitchen is a terrific place to add value to a home...assuming you go about it correctly. It can also be incredibly expensive depending on a number of factors.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post