SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Peanuts brand sold to Canadian firm (Charlie Brown related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peanuts brand sold to Canadian firm (Charlie Brown related) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Charles Schultz is on record saying that Charlie Brown should NEVER be permitted to "kick the football". That was important to him....will be interesting to see if new ownership carries that forward or wrecks it in the spirit of political correctness, anti-bullying, and inclusiveness.

http://www.startribune.com/can...uts-brand/421895913/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
"You're a hoser, Charlie Brown". Is Lucy gonna grab the puck?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Not sure anyone understands Canadian football rules anyway.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Never cared for the comics or TV specials, but the brand was one of my favorite play-along drumming songs in 1966. Also like the key change. Smile

Posts: 4055 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
There will be an exponential increase in Peanuts characters apologizing, being afraid of the dark, and looking at their own feet when talking to someone (ie Canadian traits).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Peppermint Pattie and a few others already are keen hockey players of the crew. Me, I've been a Peanuts fan since '65 I think.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'll use the Red Key
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I like his motocross stuff!

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3819 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Hell ya say ehhh! Snoopy has done gone Canadian?

Posts: 2056 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Canada?

Good grief.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15790 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
From the time I could read until-- in our thirties-- we dumped the daily paper, the first thing I turned to, ever day, without fail, was the Peanuts strip.

To not "get" Peanuts, you'd have to have never had your own Little Red Haired Girl, pulled-away footballs, kite-eating trees, bags full of rocks, never wanted to be someplace (or someone) you weren't. In short, you'd have to have lived in a bubble in a lab.

I still have the last Shultz strip next to my chair.

I'm not a big fan of most change these days, this included. Saving grace is that with the family (kids and grandkids and to a lesser extent, his second wife) are still involved. Hopefully Charlie Brown isn't in for any "retraining."

Posts: 2521 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Charles Schulz was the first famous person I ever met. I invited him to speak to our MYF (Methodist Youth Fellowship) group, and got an original Peanuts strip as a memento.
Later he was my Sunday School teacher at the little Methodist church in Sebastopol, CA.
He was a very nice fellow, but I guess later the fame went to his head, or at least he left his wife and drove around in a Continental convertible instead of the classic '55 Thunderbird he had been driving.
Fond memories.

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Charles Schulz was notoriously pro-commerce with his art (re: MetLife), while Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes) took him on publically for "Selling out".

Watterson could have made vast fortunes on selling cuddly Hobbes dolls (how much Garfield shit is on eBay?) but didn't want that legacy. Watterson took on Schultz and the division was well known in the comics community.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Charles Schulz was notoriously pro-commerce with his art (re: MetLife), while Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes) took him on publically for "Selling out".

Watterson could have made vast fortunes on selling cuddly Hobbes dolls (how much Garfield shit is on eBay?) but didn't want that legacy. Watterson took on Schultz and the division was well known in the comics community.

As much as I like Calvin/Hobbes, it is none of Watterson's business what Shultz, or anybody else, did/does with their art.

I would have bought a good quality Hobbes stuffed tiger, as would millions of others. I don't admire Watterson for passing up HUGE profits from his work - I think it was a stupid thing to do (if he didn't want or need the money, he could have donated it to cancer or autism research, at least). But even that isn't any of my business. It is up to the artist, and NOT the critics, what that artist decides to license/sell. That's capitalism. That's America.

As for the Canada thing; it really doesn't affect me one way or the other, as long as they don't do anything too extreme or stupid with the characters (such as Marcie/Peppermint Patty 'coming out' or Linus trying to identify as a girl) .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Loved Snoopy as a kid, worked for MetLife for half a decade. Had a closet full peanuts giveaways. I would give them to people's kids so I could sell the parents insurance and investing without interruptions. Brings up memories.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post