SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One clear sign that you're a coddled, probably not-all-there, weakling: when you need therapy after a bad musical performance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One clear sign that you're a coddled, probably not-all-there, weakling: when you need therapy after a bad musical performance Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
First of all, I've never heard of you, so perhaps you're not as important as you think.

Second of all, but more importantly- Fuck you. Sincerely, fuck you. Grow up. You're made of marshmallow.

Nick somebody or other says WAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

Roll Eyes

Posts: 107626 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I know who Nick Jonas is as my daughter used to watch the "Jonas Brothers" on Disney Channel when she was growing up. Had no idea he was such a lame-ass wuss though! Geez...

Posts: 4590 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that the one who is married to that Prianka gal? If so, she needs a real man, and I volunteer to help her out!

Posts: 473 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've heard of him but never really cared to know who he was. I guess he's really a man's man.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
A product of the pussification of America.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15597 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Not to defend the guy, but it sounds like a pretty similar thing to what sport’s psychology is used for all the time - AKA Shaq used to miss free throws because of his mental stuff.

If a professional musician cannot play, it’s probably time to get some performance focused therapy.

It happens. Mental management is a big part of sports - and probably entertainment.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
If a professional musician cannot play, it’s probably time to get some performance focused therapy.
If a professional musician can't play, it's time to get another job.

Posts: 107626 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The ghost of Frank Sinatra should knock on his door and kick him in the nuts, if he has any, and let him know he'll be back next month for a second dose.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
It was LOL bad, and he deserves all the ridicule. Comes w/ the territory of being a high profile professional musician. If it were some kid who messed up at his school recital, that'd be different story, but it wasn't.

Professionals still make mistakes, but one of the hallmarks of pros is the ability to cover up & recover from their mistakes - all in an instant. One of my favorite performances of the classical music piece below contains a significant mistake. At 0:30 the pianist stumbles over a couple notes. If you don't know the piece, I doubt you'd notice it. The rest of his performance is beautiful.

This occurred at a major piano competition. At about 3:20-3:25, there's a break between movements where you can see the heartbreak on his face while he adjusts his glasses. He knows he's blown his chance of winning, but he's a professional, and there's still a lot left to be played.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
"If you make a mistake on stage, do it twice and no one will ever know"
- Eddie VanHalen

Any seasoned performer that I've ever known or seen interviewed has had issues like that on stage in their career whether it was in the small bar or in front of 100K people. True musicians and performers just roll through it and keep going. Occasionally if bad enough they'll stop and turn it into a massive joke.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37977 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist18:
Is that the one who is married to that Prianka gal? If so, she needs a real man, and I volunteer to help her out!

Yes... Prianka Chopra. She is totally fine, so you'll have to wait your turn as I got first dibs! Big Grin

Edit to add: As a bass player for over 20 years, most of it divided between two different bands (one of which I recorded a studio album with), I clearly remember the day I was to start off a song on bass in front of a live audience. The drummer ticked off the tempo and I went blank. I could NOT remember what the song sounded like to save my life! One of the vocalists had to quietly voice the opening notes to jog my brain back into function.

Obviously I was not a "professional" musician like the Nick Jonas, but I can see how it could happen, and the shock of it lasted for weeks before I finally shook it off and wasn't afraid to start another song!

Posts: 4590 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember a time when a guy would man-up and do what needs to be done and not cry about it. If you need therapy, get it. Don't cry on social media about it.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I remember a time when a guy would man-up and do what needs to be done and not cry about it. If you need therapy, get it. Don't cry on social media about it.

Yes. If I ever needed to have psycho therapy, I sure wouldn't want anybody to know about it.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10707 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
[soap box] I have a tough time calling a member of a "boy band" a professional musician. "Boy Bands" are carefully crafted caricatures designed to get money from teenage girls. Looks, clothes, hair, dance moves, and autotune is all one needs to be in a "boy band." Most of their live performances are lip synched... [/soap box]

Back on topic, agree with the other posters about being a marshmellow.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lately I have reading articles about how the American male is much weaker today, both psychologically and physically, than past generations. And that these weaknesses will in the long-term damaging to our country and society. There have been lots of theory put forth about the causes, including an easy life standard, the decline of jobs that require physical labor, helicopter parenting, and the concept that masculinity is "toxic". I thought much of what was being put forth was painting with a broad brush. Then I see Jonas carrying on and I think there may something to the whole thing after all.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn’t he that guy that played with that band that played that song?

Well, maybe not….

: )

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Lately I have reading articles about how the American male is much weaker today, both psychologically and physically, than past generations. And that these weaknesses will in the long-term damaging to our country and society. There have been lots of theory put forth about the causes, including an easy life standard, the decline of jobs that require physical labor, helicopter parenting, and the concept that masculinity is "toxic". I thought much of what was being put forth was painting with a broad brush. Then I see Jonas carrying on and I think there may something to the whole thing after all.

Oh, I believe this is 100% correct! It seems today's young "men" (and I use that term loosely) are total wimps about most everything and can do little for themselves. Heck, they can't even change a car tire, or put new wiper blades on their car! If they go to AutoZone to have it done, the younger employees cannot do it either. My wife recently went to AutoZone for new wiper blades and the young male employee wasted nearly 30 minutes trying to get them on her car. An older gentleman came out of the store and did it in under a minute, for both sides! Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by clang:
Isn’t he that guy that played with that band that played that song?
<<snip>>

No, no... not that song; the OTHER song! Razz

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I don't know what's worse; calling that country music or the emotionally fragile manchild.

If I can get it to post, this is how professionals used to handle flubs. Wes Montgomery ~5:35 mark just keeps his shit together.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
When we lived in Berlin, we used to know a truly-gifted concert violinist, who went on stage the night of the day that both her parents had been killed in an airplane accident. They loved to hear her playing, she said, and they would not have wanted her not to play in their memory of that love.

Posts: 11331 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I only know who Nick Jonas is because he was in a TV series called Kingdom centered around an MMA gym. His character turned out to be gay. I had no idea he was still supposed to be a musician.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post