New
Find
Notify
Tools

MukLuks Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
The girlfriend and I have been watching Alone and some of the dudes are running around in leather MukLuks. She wants to get me a set for Christmas and I’ve been resistant because personally, I think they are kind of ‘girly’. It just seems weird to be tucking my jeans into my boots.

What say you guys?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12334 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
If you have to ask....

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Not specific to mukluks, but pretty much everyone who spends a lot of time outside in the wet (water, mud or melting snow) either tucks their pants into their boots (think military uniforms tucked into combat boots, hunters in Bean boots, workers in rubber boots, etc) or wears seriously waterproof pants.

I think it's one of those things where, if you're somewhere they make functional sense, like Alaska, no one will look twice. If you're somewhere they don't, people may think about them from a fashion/social norm perspective and think they're goofy.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do your wear skinny jeans?

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Boots (real ones)with gaiters! Real outdoors-men will understand! Hollywood and TV folks need more education on practical footwear for a given environment. Marketing is not your friend!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Do your wear skinny jeans?

Even easier with jeggings.

Seriously - for snowy walks, it’s either tuck or put on gaiters

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Mukluks always remind me of Firesign Theater's 'Nick Danger' ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Managed to get hold of a couple of pairs of my old USAF issued Muks.
Work great!
Fashion is not a concern.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Real mukluks are great, they do a better job of dealing with wet-winter conditions than Sorel's or, Baffin's. How about that, technology & design from Arctic peoples. If you live in a winter climate, they're nice to have in your footwear rotation.

Fashionable-trendy mukluks...yeah, eff that. The only place they belong is Hollywood-types traipsing around Park City during Sundance or, Aspen. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
The girlfriend and I have been watching Alone and some of the dudes are running around in leather MukLuks. She wants to get me a set for Christmas and I’ve been resistant because personally, I think they are kind of ‘girly’. It just seems weird to be tucking my jeans into my boots.

What say you guys?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Wife has a pair of Mukluks that she purchased in the winter of 1975 in Fairbaks, Alaska as Uncle Sam was
our travel agent at the time. Both of us were active duty US Army. Top collar is black seal leather ring with white/red design pattern / natural wolf fur collar / shaft sheep skin with black fur/ man made rubber soles / and leather wrap straps to snug wrap around the shaft. These are the REAL DEAL as she had them custom made for her and they were not cheap at the time. These are more dressy than daily wear. They are not waterproof and must be kept dry. BUT with a nice pair of wool socks your feet will stay warm and toastie at sub-zero temperatures and colder. Way to warm for the winters here in south Louisiana. If interested the US Army issued some that were a heavy cotton duck outer jacket with heavy pressed wool inserts that worked quiet well as long as you kept your socks dry. That is the big secret to keep you feet warm . Maybe find some at a surplus store on on Ebay or etc. ................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make those for men?!?!? Big Grin

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not girlie. But 99.9% of the population would have no real need. If you drive a car more than a couple times a month as a mode of transportation. No need. They are great in a very specific lifestyle. The TV show Alone is of course, a tv show.
But there are a few places in America and a few folks where they would be useful as everyday footwear for long periods during certain parts of the year. I could use a pair. Would wear them regularly and I would love a pair. But having a real pair hand made with traditional materials would be a very hard find, expensive and take a long time to get.
So in answer to your question as was mentioned. If you have to ask. No you do not need and they will not be very practical.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Glad I don't live where these are needed.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I guess I’ve only seen girls wear them, now that I think about it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
We were issued mukluks in ND.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Sgt Preston wears ‘em, good enough for me. [FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/tlZwga3B5ro [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
We were issued mukluks in ND.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes== this is the style that the Army issued to us in Alaska during the 1970's. But the secret was to keep them dry and dry socks. ................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
At Fairbanks drivers were about the only ones issued them.
I had a pair of mountain boots (think leather ski boot, hiking boot, climbing boot) with thick felt insoles. In field uniform they were worn with think white socks and bloused. Sort of British Army.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I still have the pair of Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters that kept the snow out of my boots and off my pants when I lived in Frostbite Falls, MN.

Link to Amazon

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
At Fairbanks drivers were about the only ones issued them.
I had a pair of mountain boots (think leather ski boot, hiking boot, climbing boot) with thick felt insoles. In field uniform they were worn with think white socks and bloused. Sort of British Army.
^^^^^^^^^^^^ The rear heel as shapped as to alloy cross country ski bindings
cables to secure boot to the ski's. IIRC these leather boots were made by chippewa boots. ..... Also issued the white mickey mouse insulated rubber boots................ drill sgt.