SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally, after all that work I got the Expedition Off Road!!! Couple quick videos.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally, after all that work I got the Expedition Off Road!!! Couple quick videos. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Finally got a chance to test out the new suspension setup and tires off road. Well technically not “off road” since we never left a National Forest Road or Local County Road. Yup, even the third video where we go up the creek that is technically a county road. Only got video of the pretty easy portions as it was only my buddy and I and he was helping guide and spot on the tough stuff which was more important than pics and videos, plus we only had a phone that was our navigation as well.
So hope to do more and get a decent camera to show a bit more of what these rigs can do. I am not about the rock crawling and all that craziness. This is my daily driver and I don’t want to tear it up too bad but still want to have some fun.
I have to say this thing absolutely blew away my expectations on what it would do.

I am fortunate enough to live in the backyard of the Daniel Boone National Forest and Red River Gorge near Slade, Kentucky. There happens to be a loop of 1,000 miles of National Forest and local roads that some are paved, gravel, dirt, mud, and creeks all plotted out by one fella over 6 years.

http://annessky.net/kat/

Here are a couple quick videos. Sorry, no editing, fancy intros, cool video names or anything. I may figure that stuff out some day.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/TrpEpAoys8Y

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ILeI7Ki7KnM

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/QR7NBo_kveE

CLICK TO SUBSCRIBE.
At least that is what everyone else says somewhere in their video.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
One word....JEEP. You need to get one. Wheeling that behemoth is like taking a semi off road.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The rig did good. Nice to see a video w/o all of the background music that only the person inserting it thinks is so f'n wonderful.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
One word....JEEP. You need to get one. Wheeling that behemoth is like taking a semi off road.

No third row Jeeps
3 boys in car seats and boosters.

————————————————

H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
I was on the edge my seat.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Damn.

That was hardcore.

Razz

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun...but talk about a bull in a China Shop situation, lol Smile

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Sweet!!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3922 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Kudos to you Sir. Looks like a blast. How do you like the Falkens?

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That was awesome! Looking forward to your future posts asking how to fix the things that get broken. Big Grin

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the tow strap.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
You gonna scratch the paint Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
That was awesome! Looking forward to your future posts asking how to fix the things that get broken. Big Grin

I used to drive the old full size Blazzers,GMC and 4x4 suburban. lots of fun till something major broke,and it always happened or you drive over a hidden glass bottle and have it ruin a off road tire out in the middle of nowhere.
Water in the trans,engine,hubs, or differentials
takes time, but does ruin that part.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Damn.

That was hardcore.

Razz

Yeah, yeah I know. I already said those were the easy portions.
But really in this rig that is all I was looking to do.

Not trying to be this guy

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/npJNUn4cj6s

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/umAExSRAdl8

quote:
Originally posted by whododat:
Kudos to you Sir. Looks like a blast. How do you like the Falkens?

Very good tires they are. Smooth and quiet on the street. Very solid on both dry loose dirt and rocks as well as in decent mud.
The tires clean themselves very well they eject the stones rather quickly and clean themselves of mud. Mud did not cake up in the treads on us very much.

quote:
Originally posted by armored:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

I used to drive the old full size Blazzers,GMC and 4x4 suburban. lots of fun till something major broke,and it always happened or you drive over a hidden glass bottle and have it ruin a off road tire out in the middle of nowhere.
Water in the trans,engine,hubs, or differentials
takes time, but does ruin that part.

Just part of the game. I won’t be doing much so should be all good.
Fluids are cheap and easy to swap so that will be done frequently.

————————————————

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The extra altitude certainly helped, even on semi-game trails. What you need to hedge your bets is a manual locking rear diff.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I had a 2010 F150, and now have a 2018 F150. If you are fording streams, keep an eye on your front diff fluid. If you don't put the extended vent tubes on the front diff, it will ingest some water, and getting all of the fluid out of the diff without a pump with a small diameter hose is a bitch.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The extra altitude certainly helped, even on semi-game trails. What you need to hedge your bets is a manual locking rear diff.

Unfortunately LSD is the best I can get (which I have) Expedition uses an oddball size differential 9.75” I think and there are no lockers available.
The 2018+ FX4 models have elockers.

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I had a 2010 F150, and now have a 2018 F150. If you are fording streams, keep an eye on your front diff fluid. If you don't put the extended vent tubes on the front diff, it will ingest some water, and getting all of the fluid out of the diff without a pump with a small diameter hose is a bitch.

Sucking it out is actually the easiest way. Pull the fill plug stick my brake bleeder that is hooked to my compressor and start sucking.

Vent tubes are actually next on my list to research.
Have any suggestions?

————————————————

Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Where were these videos shot? Looks like a lot of fun!

JP

Posts: 2047 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Question: "What does four wheel drive and a lift kit allow you to do?"

Answer: "Get stuck in WORSE places!"

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
Where were these videos shot? Looks like a lot of fun!

JP
He's out where they filmed the movie Deliverance.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post