SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Picked Up A Cardinal Hit By A Car
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked Up A Cardinal Hit By A Car Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
He looked like he was just going to need somewhere to pass on quietly instead on the side of the road. I stopped traffic and scooped him up to people actually giving me thumbs up for rescuing him.

Got him home and made him a nice comfy nest, gave him some fluids, steroid and baby bird formula.

I went outside to do some chores and went off to get me some dinner expecting to find him expired and he was gone. Couldn't find him anywhere until I looked up. Seems he has chosen his recovery place and went right to sleep. He must have one hell of a headache.

He should recover quickly and I can return him to his territory. He probably has a family wondering where he is.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good work. Thanks for doing what you did.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Smile Glad to see he's up and able to find such a nice perch.
Hopefully not too much shit hits the fan.

Posts: 7360 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is a cutie.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope he is back on his feet/wings soon and doing whatever is his favorite Cardinal thing to do soon.

Good on you for helping the poor guy out.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
YAY!!! Cardinals are one of my all time favorites.

Just don’t keep any of his feathers. Wink

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Good on you for doing this. I'm glad he made it. My kids and I love watching the cardinals that visit us.

Never rescued a bird like this but I try and stop when I see turtles about to become one time speed bumps.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
HAHAHAHA! You're too much! BRAVO!

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well done! I love stories with a happy ending!

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Badass. Nice work bro. Good for saving the little guy.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4026 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks like a female to me. Not bright enough red to be male.

I do believe, from what I have witnessed, that they probably mate for life.
The reason I say that is because on my way to work one day a pair of cardinals were flitting around each other until the male flew into the car in front of me. Killing him instantly.
I was back far enough to see the female trying to "wake" him. When she could see that he was dead she flew in a large circle and killed herself against my car. Felt sorry for them both.
Glad to see that you had the heart to do what you could for her. Good man.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Well done. Wish you’d come rescue the female Cardinal that’s been pecking my windows all friggin day long every day this summer. Or maybe I need rescuing.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Great job! That is either an immature Male or a female.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5302 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Timely thread, I hit one today and it exploded into a mess of feathers and explody bird bits.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good for you Mars.

I will say what everyone else is thinking. There is always one. Bubba, you is it. Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19193 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lunchbox:
Good work. Thanks for doing what you did.

Indeed! We have rescued several birds through the years. One that I especially remember was a baby robin. One of the parents had turned up missing and the other threw all the babies out of the nest. No feathers at all. One of them was still alive and we took it in. Raised it to maturity and it finally flew off.

Neighbors asked what the hell I was doing out in the back yard when I got home from 2nd shift.

The laughed when I told them I was collecting food the the baby bird. Thought I was kidding until they got to see the bird.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarandGuy:
Good on you for doing this. I'm glad he made it. My kids and I love watching the cardinals that visit us.

Never rescued a bird like this but I try and stop when I see turtles about to become one time speed bumps.

Yeah, wife and I do the same. Lost count of how many we have moved off into the woods/grass from the roadway. Including a snapping turtle that was about 18 inches long.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
stupid shit

Is something wrong with you?

This isn't the first time I've asked you to stay the FUCK away from me.

Do you understand this time?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
So, how do you get him (her?) out of the house now?

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
What steroids do you use?

Showing care and generosity to another living creature is always awesome in my book, thanks!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post