SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Do You Know About Defunct Motorcycle Companies?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do You Know About Defunct Motorcycle Companies? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
https://advrider.com/what-do-y...otorcycle-companies/ <--- quiz link

'There’s no shortage of good motorcycle manufacturers at the moment. Current manufacturers bring us many motorcycle types for different uses like street, dirt, enduro, dual-sport, adventure, trials, etc. But there’s an even longer list of motorcycle manufacturers that are now defunct.

The company’s demise may have been caused by many different things like the Depression, war, or just poor products. However, it’s these companies that are the subject of this week’s quiz. Each of the correct answers to our questions is a now-defunct motorcycle manufacturer.

I’m going to suggest that this is a difficult quiz. If you are not a dedicated motorcycle history buff, you will likely find this quiz to be hard. Let’s call this one an 8 out of 10 in the degree of difficulty.'

I got 9/10.

Freakin' jeenyus, I tell ya.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15903 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It kicked my ass. 5/10 and I really like motos. Eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7 out of 10 for me.
My childhood buddy had a Rupp. It was badass.
And in HS school, I helped a buddy short track a Bultaco.
Anyone ever own a.... Zundapp?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16103 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
7 out of 10 for me.

Lots of guys in the Wermacht rode Zundapps. Smile

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
7/10 here.

Did better than I thought I would. The ones I knew, I KNEW. The ones I didn't, I had no clue at all.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15251 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 772 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7 out of 10

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
8. 3 were just luck.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What Do You Know About Defunct Motorcycle Companies?

They reached the end of their cycles?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
6 of 10. Some of those questions were - as they warned - pretty obscure.

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Went to the link but could not figure out how to do the quiz.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Ten out of ten! I thought the carbon fiber one was going to be my downfall.

BSA, owned four of them over the years. Missed out buying a Vincent in ‘71, probably a good thing though.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8/10 but my mistakes were the very early ones which is eta i don’t follow or care for. but fun

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
7 out of 10 for me.

Yep, I did in the early '60's. Zundapp 200Cc 2 stroke single, pre mix oil and gas. Bought it from a guy who couldn't get it running. A fresh spark plug got it up on its feet in a hurry.

Other German motorcycle firms who went belly up years after WWII were NSU, DKW, Horex (looked like a Triumph). BMW motorcycles almost folded a couple of times in the late '60's.

Anyone who rode a 2 stroke always carried a new spark plug and tool.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
8/10
Admittedly I've read way too many books about cycles.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4362 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
3.5 Big Grin

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Haven't owned a motorcycle since the '80s. Was a Norton fan having had 5 including a '72 Dunstall 750 Full Production Export Road Racer (bought new) and a used '73 850 I fitted with a California Sidecar.

Guess my age and having read a lot about MCs back in the day helped earn me an 8/10. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16238 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
3/10, the only reason I did that "well" was luck, I had knowledge on only one of my correct answers.

In my defense, I am definitely not a motorcycle guy. I guess I didn't have to say that

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post