SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for the lumberjack / wood choppers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the lumberjack / wood choppers Login/Join 
posted
You guys talk about sawing, splitting and stacking tree stuff.

Question:
Do people buy un split wood?

If a guy offered a cord of split wood and a cord of unsplit wood,

( 7 inch to 13 inch, by 12 inch long
Un split piecess )

Would anyone purchase the un split wood ?
To ether split it themselves or just use as camp fire wood.

And would the seller charge more? Or less for one or the other?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two of my good friends who burn wood exclusively during the winter get unsplit wood for free from a couple of different tree services in the area. They worked it out with the owners of the companies that anytime they are in the area doing a job to give them a call to see if they need wood. The company's know to only call if its good wood. Its a win win for both, company doesny have to pay for disposal at the dump and my buddies dont have to buy wood. Just split and stack. Each of them probably has a 2 to 3 year supply of wood at their homes at this point.

Posts: 680 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
IIRC a cord of firewood is a stack 4 ft high X 4 ft wide X 8 ft long and stacked as to allow the mouse to get thru but stop the cat chasing it. Or a measurement of 128 cubic feet. Wifes parents lived in northern Wisconsin (Park Falls) using firewood in furnance located in basement as the primary heat source with gas as a floater going thru 22 to 25 cords per winter in the 1980"s. ............................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I used to cut and sell firewood... until I found an easier side job! Also heated with wood exclusively for a few years.

Round unspilt wood doesn't catch and burn up as quickly as split wood of the same type and volume so it keeps a fire longer. Some people would request unspilt wood, especially for large stoves or outside furnaces, or for back sticks for a fireplace. Some hobby firewood burners.. think Thanksgiving or Christmas day fireplace use mostly for ambiance customers would request all split so it would light and burn better yet burn out and not burn all night for them to worry about.

Also, some would stack and split it themselves if it saved them a few bucks.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To answer your questions, yes people buy unsplit wood.

Unsplit wood costs less than split wood of the same type.

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Sure, but just try and find an un-splitter at a reasonable price these days, one not made in China.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont know your area but you would have a hard time finding someone to pay for unsplit wood.

The tree removal companies charge extra to take the wood. If the wood is in an accessible location, post it to craigslist for free and you will have it gone in a day or two. Worked well for me several times.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I burn on average 7 chords per year. I never pay for unsplit wood, or wood in general. I get it for free from tree service companies.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Sure, but just try and find an un-splitter at a reasonable price these days

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
I burn on average 7 chords per year.

Hey Rev - you mean like with the choir??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12436 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We buy a dump truck load every 2 years from a local tree guy, usually 6-8 cords all in the round. we have a 25 ton log splitter, now that the weather is cooler we will split wood for 3-4 hours and stack it to dry.

We still have 2.5 cords left from last year so plenty of wood to burn while the current stack drys a bit. We don't depend on wood as our primary heating source but we do run the stove 24/7 on especially cold days which keeps the electric bill down.

Split wood, pick up only, is $250 a cord, that hurts, so splitting my own works really well.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Wisconsin, I would buy slab wood from the mill. It was red oak and they delivered and stacked it for me. Price was very reasonable and most pieces did not need to be split.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how picky do fire wood burners get?

does a load of hickory go for more or less than a load of catalpa ?

do they even ask if its ash, maple or locust ?

posted Hide Post
Very picky if they are knowledgable. Some woods burn cleaner and hotter than others. Wood must also be dried to provide decent fuel.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I occasionally cut wood with a guy who can’t hardly tell a Willow from an Oak tree, BIG difference when it comes to firewood.

Most will agree Hickory is at the top, there may be an oddity that equals. After type, quality of the ‘seasoned’ firewood comes into play. If it were to green, or perhaps starting to rot, it would factor in.

One doesn’t need Hickory or even Oak for every heating day. When it’s 45out, 30 at night, that’s a time to burn up the marginal wood. I’ll even take some Pine/Evergreen to mix in, starting a fire or coasting somewhat.

I often keep my valuable Hickory for a bedtime stoke, or the coldest of days. Hickory also holds an ash long, easier to get the fire going again the next morning.

I have access to Northern White Cedar for kindling, almost able to start with a match when split small.

I jokingly ask the family if they need some firewood when bundles are for sale at stores or stations. It’s often Aspen or some other low quality wood.

Posts: 6175 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Lot of guys selling firewood in these parts. It's big business. There was a guy that just sold wood in rounds only and he charged quite a bit less for a load of that. I really have no idea what a cord of split, delivered wood is going for nowadays but I bet it is pricey. It's pretty much all oak.

I cut and split my own here on the farm. I have a 25 ton splitter which is pretty much mandatory at my age.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5047 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Not a thread drift, just my personal experiences.

Years ago, people worried me to death wanting firewood on my land.

Now, I practically have to beg people to load wood that i've already cut in firewood lengths from downed trees, oak, hickory,etc.

I got fed up with most, as part of the agreement for free wood, was they clean up, haul the laps.

99% didn't.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post