SIGforum
Microsoft Silver light, yay or nay?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7870018554

April 19, 2019, 01:04 PM
0-0
Microsoft Silver light, yay or nay?
Just downgraded from W10 to W7 on my laptop. Fed up with advantages that I don't use and occasional issues that I don't need. Not dissing W10, just thinking I can do the same or simpler with W7.
Gladly, the switching went well, most drivers are available for the older OS.

The main problem I wanted to solve remains unsolved. Asus laptops have issues when it comes to W10 and their touchpads. Tried every known solution under W10 and now with 7 I'm still sporting a dead touchpad.

To the point, why on Earth would one bother keeping and updating Silverlight? Seems to me that it's gotten nowhere since it's release. And it's been a while...
W7 wants me to update and I wonder if it's not better to get rid of it.
Less is more, right?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
April 19, 2019, 01:08 PM
Bytes
Nay... Silverlight has been in an "unsupported state" for years. Short answer it it is dead. Netflix used to use it but has moved on to a modern technology.
April 19, 2019, 02:08 PM
smschulz
Only if you stream Netflix on your PC.
April 19, 2019, 03:34 PM
Oz_Shadow
I have to use it on some government websites and only the MS browser works with it.
April 19, 2019, 06:33 PM
0-0
Interesting Netflix requirement. Luckily I use Android phone and Chromecast on TV. No watching on my PCs

Thanks for the replies.

0-0

April 19, 2019, 07:01 PM
bernborough2000
0-0,
If you want to keep using W7 and don't want to " update to W10 " , you can download a small exe file called " Never 10 " 92 kb in size , and it will stop W10 from sneaking up and loading itself .
If you get tired of Microsoft's freezing , interminable updates , and breaking of the system , you can switch off Secure Boot in your BIOS , and download a Linux distro , burn it to a dvd , and try it without installing it . I would suggest MX18 . It is brilliantly easy and fully graphical so no need to learn new ideas . Oh , and it is free with thousands of FREE applications . Did I mention it is FREE .
Best .
April 20, 2019, 09:01 AM
0-0
Thank you very much. I'm an advanced user, been fixing computers since the late 80's.
Just don't feel the ultimate climax of using MS latest gift to humankind.

Got a couple of Linux distris running but I hardly oat attention to them. Once an OS/2 illuminatti, got disappointed when IBM dumped it and am lukewarm about embracing other OS after that.

0-0