SIGforum
What did you make for dinner?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7860051864

September 20, 2026, 10:28 AM
Gustofer
What did you make for dinner?
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
With hot water canning, you boil the jars, new lids, and rings in water in a large pot covering them.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but there is no need to do this. The act of water bath canning itself will sterilize everything. Additionally, modern day lids do not need to be heated prior to use. The old ones did, but they have changed the sealing compound that they use and it is no longer required. You do, however, need to use hot jars when ladling in hot items/liquid or the jars are likely to crack and make a mess.


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
September 20, 2026, 10:59 AM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
With hot water canning, you boil the jars, new lids, and rings in water in a large pot covering them.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but there is no need to do this. The act of water bath canning itself will sterilize everything. Additionally, modern day lids do not need to be heated prior to use. The old ones did, but they have changed the sealing compound that they use and it is no longer required. You do, however, need to use hot jars when ladling in hot items/liquid or the jars are likely to crack and make a mess.


Interesting. It is just the way I was taught as a child and have always done it.




NRA Benefactor Life Member
September 20, 2026, 11:44 AM
Gustofer
^^^^. Me too for a long time. That's how my parents and grandparents did it so that's the way I'll do it because, obviously, it works or I wouldn't be here. Big Grin

Then I got to thinking about it and found that it is really an unnecessary step.


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
September 20, 2026, 05:59 PM
Mars_Attacks
First steaks at the new house.

We don't have gas so I improvised. A camp stove and the grill.




____________________________

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
September 20, 2026, 07:19 PM
mr kablammo
Potato soup. Using up the spare ingredients.


"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
September 20, 2026, 08:44 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Potato soup. Using up the spare ingredients.


I love potato soup!




NRA Benefactor Life Member
September 22, 2026, 03:45 PM
xantom
Chimichangas!






"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."
September 22, 2026, 04:22 PM
Paddy314
My lovely wife is out of town, so it’s just me. Looked in the fridge and saw some local bacon that needed to be used sitting next to local cabbage that also needed to be used. Must of been fate. Fried the bacon, then fried the cabbage in the bacon grease. Salt and pepper and it was pretty good.
September 25, 2026, 06:05 PM
dsiets
Deep dish from scratch as I've been waiting for the weather to cool down towards fall.

Garlic butter dough, sausage, onion, more garlic, mushrooms, parmesan, mozzarella, simmered sauce w/ more garlic, and goat cheese.


September 25, 2026, 08:04 PM
konata88
I can haz pizza? Smile




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
September 26, 2026, 11:06 AM
Skins2881
Tomato from the garden on a simple cheeseburger.







Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
September 26, 2026, 11:30 AM
Genorogers
^^^ "Simple Cheeseburger" my ass ! That's a thing of beauty !
September 27, 2026, 02:23 PM
smschulz
From last Sunday
Osso Buco Milanese (Beef Shank braised in bone broth)






Final served over Polenta



This Sunday ...just started my Sunday Sauce all-day cook with short ribs, Italian sausage and Veal Meatballs...more to come.


September 27, 2026, 04:20 PM
P220forever
These boneless/skinless Costco chicken breasts, each wrapped with two thick slices of uncured bacon, are going on the smoker any minute now.


September 27, 2026, 07:02 PM
P220forever
Served with butter sauteed broccoli/pennies from Heaven and tator salad.


September 27, 2026, 08:18 PM
vthoky
Nine-pound pork butt went on smoke at about 2am. I never got it to 205 degrees, but at 15 hours and 198 degrees, I called it good.



And it was… good. Smile




Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
God bless America.
September 27, 2026, 10:47 PM
mr kablammo
Thai Panang curry with pork and basmati rice. Maesri brand curry paste. Pretty dang good. This will be lunch at work also.


"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
September 28, 2026, 08:30 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
^^^ "Simple Cheeseburger" my ass ! That's a thing of beauty !


That is what I was going to say! “Simple Cheeseburger”!!!!!

I can’t wait to grow tomatoes again. Jesse grows amazing looking tomatoes and there is not much better than a homegrown tomato!




NRA Benefactor Life Member
September 28, 2026, 08:40 PM
StorminNormin
So yesterday was my cooking day.

Had enough okra from the garden to pickle two quarts worth.




I did one with sliced Serrano peppers as I have done before and did the other with two habanero peppers.





Then it was time to make beef fajitas. I made fresh guacamole, used fresh raw flour tortillas, and the roasted corn was a leftover ear and I made it as my birds love eating corn on the cob.























I could eat this every day!!!!




NRA Benefactor Life Member
September 28, 2026, 08:45 PM
StorminNormin
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
From last Sunday
Osso Buco Milanese (Beef Shank braised in bone broth)


Man that looks good!




NRA Benefactor Life Member