SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 127
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
No doubt I've never had decently prepared okra. It's always been slimy mushy soft yuk.
Mike your baked version, perhaps a tad crispy too, might make me a convert.

The sliminess is also why I cut them in larger pieces. Each cut you make releases the slime. Doesn’t matter too much when you batter and fry them. When I go to a restaurant I love to get them fried, but too much work for me at home so I like to bake them.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8740 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This may sound weird and gross to you guys, but if you’re willing to give a shot, it might be a change of pace.

I love okra cold from the fridge, sliced on the bias maybe about 1/4” thick - a little thicker is okay. Drizzle some soy sauce to taste. Add some katsuoboshi (Japanese dried fish flakes made from Katsuo (tuna) usually used to make the broth for miso soup). Toss all together and enjoy with rice as a side dish.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13081 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I cook them at 415 for about 20 minutes, then flip them over, and cook for about another 20 minutes or done to likeness. My wife likes them cooked a little more then I did in this picture.

Thank you. Do you mix the EVOO and Balsamic vinegar in equal amounts, and then add your spices?? I recently breaded some and then cooked it in an air fryer.....not too bad, but not as good as breaded and fried in bacon grease like momma did it!!!

Posts: 6709 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
"Everything but the kitchen sink salad" Big Grin

-- iceberg lettuce
-- red cabbage
-- matchstick carrots
-- diced Roma tomato
-- sliced hard boiled egg
-- thin sliced strips of deli ham off the bone
-- diced grilled chicken breast
-- crumbled sharp cheddar cheese
-- celery seed
-- fresh ground tellicherry black pepper
-- Caesar croutons
-- Ken's Steak House creamy Caesar salad dressing

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16509 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Ordered from Domino's.

Not particularly proud of it....

I should have gone over to bald1's house instead! Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13855 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I should have gone over to bald1's house instead! Wink

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaa Smile
Thank you Wink

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16509 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Sausage, pepperoni, mushroom.

Posts: 20561 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buffalo burger with cheese, Kewpie mayonnaise, ketchup, spicy brown mustard, and zesty garlic dill pickle. With potato wedges.

ARman

Posts: 3213 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Oh that looks so good. It has been a long time since I made homemade pizza dough and baked it on my BGE.

I am looking forward to anything I make tomorrow as I had a colonoscopy today and have starved myself.

Posts: 8740 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
BLTs again with tomatoes from the garden.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Them maters look good. My beefsteak plant didn't do worth a crap this year as I've only got three that are about half the size of a normal beefsteak. My San Marzanos are kicking butt though. I've got over 100 of 'em on just three plants.

Posts: 20561 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Jesse, I can taste your tomatoes from your pictures and I am so jealous! I can’t wait to get a garden going again, but I know this year any tomato plant would not have produced. Only thing I could have done in this heat is okra and maybe peppers.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Jesse If I had tomatoes like that I'd be having BLTs morning noon and night. Wink

My son was here for dinner and I made flat iron steak with onions and mushrooms with a nice side salad. But instead of roasted potatoes I made a nice batch of spaghetti aglio e olio which I found he'd never had before. He's now a big fan! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is truly perfection.

Posts: 5905 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Jesse If I had tomatoes like that I'd be having BLTs morning noon and night. Wink

My son was here for dinner and I made flat iron steak with onions and mushrooms with a nice side salad. But instead of roasted potatoes I made a nice batch of spaghetti aglio e olio which I found he'd never had before. He's now a big fan! Big Grin

I've been having them often. Brought veggies in for coworkers today and there was some confusion. Someone took theirs and someone else's. Got a text message asking if I took my tomatoes back. Smile Hopefully I have some more ripe when I get home to give him tomorrow.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
I cook them at 415 for about 20 minutes, then flip them over, and cook for about another 20 minutes or done to likeness. My wife likes them cooked a little more then I did in this picture.

Thank you. Do you mix the EVOO and Balsamic vinegar in equal amounts, and then add your spices?? I recently breaded some and then cooked it in an air fryer.....not too bad, but not as good as breaded and fried in bacon grease like momma did it!!!

I just add enough olive oil to coat the okra when I toss them around in the bowl and then a few splashes Of basalmic vinegar. They are not equal amounts. I season with some of the McCormick garden vegetable blended seasoning.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:

I just add enough olive oil to coat the okra when I toss them around in the bowl and then a few splashes Of basalmic vinegar. They are not equal amounts. I season with some of the McCormick garden vegetable blended seasoning.

Thanks again. I plan to try some this weekend(should have enough okra by then).

Posts: 6709 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

AND Fresh Basil! Everything you put it on becomes another level of awesome...Such a wonderful spice! Smile

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9428 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the temperature was 98 with a heat index of 112 today I had a frozen slice of wheat bread with crunchy peanut butter on it and an apple.

Posts: 591 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
AND Fresh Basil!

I keep a couple of plants going inside, hydroponic, for just such an occasion. Wink

Sweet and Genovese. Not sure which one I like better.