SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sewer line service contracts.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sewer line service contracts. Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
We just received a letter from Service Line Warranties of America with an endorsement from our municipality's Mayor. The gist of it is for $7.75 per month or $88.00 per year it covers line repairs up to $4000 per incident with no deductibles or annual caps.

House is 23 years old, we have owned it since 2004. We have a high ground water table here, our sump pump runs almost year round, that is routed to the back of our property exclusive of storm drains or sanitary sewer system. PVC piping out, this sub was built in 1994 so no crock pipes. Ground composition is sand and clay, less sand and more clay towards the street. Foundation seems stable but two doors down the driveway has been settling away from the garage but has been that way for at least ten years. Their house is about the same age as ours, but the lot was built up and I think the problem is from the ground being unstable due to just dirt being dumped with no backfill or gravel, just a guess. We never had any doors out of plumb or driveway settling, a couple of cracks but most concrete driveways have cracks from my experience.

Only sewer problem I am aware of is that the city crews are not too pleased with how the collector box in the middle of the street is constructed. They were made aware of a neighbors house with a potential plug in their line and checked the collector. they are monitoring it at present.

I can't recall any homes in this subdivision having feed line problems. Now for the sump drains that feed into the storm water system that is a different thing. But this policy does not cover those failing, only sanitary systems. And I usually find these things out as I am the sub association VP.

So, opinions please? I'm in my mid 60's, wife early 60's and retiring this year. We need to watch expenses but if it's a good idea....I'm sure not going to dig a line up by hand anymore........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it wasn't profitable for the company selling it they wouldn't sell it. I would get a couple of bids from a plumbing company to determine how much such a repair would cost at most. Then bank enough to cover the cost, maybe a small investment type account that would keep pace with inflation, because repair costs go up. Worst case, you pay for the repair. Best case, you have money in the bank.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
"About half the cities with an SLWA take advantage of a kick-back on each policy sold."

Somebody's getting their pockets lined and I wouldn't be happy about my mayor using his official position for that.

http://krqe.com/2014/07/24/cit...easonable-or-ripoff/

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Some companies have balls and no ethics at all for such an agreement.

I got one yesterday for a gas line and I don't even have gas here. So I stuffed their advertisement in the return envelope and the return postage will be on them. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I'm in the middle of a sewer line replacement for a 100-year-old house which I lease. I'm fairly certain its replacement (due to root-entanglement/briachment of nearby trees) is easily a $30,000 job.

Meaning $4000 wouldn't touch it.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Sewers typically last 50-100 years depending on material, construction, etc. Laterals fail a lot of times because people plant trees near them, age or poor workmanship. Have your lateral TV'd if you have any concerns and make a decision from there. Chances are you should be OK.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I worked at a municipal utilities authority that offered that service to its customers. I believe it is worth it if your line is as old as yours. I haven't been working there for 3 years, but I don't remember there being a $4000 repair limit. I don't also remember the cost, but I thought it was around $200 for both the water and sewer.
The utility did receive a check in an amount of the number of customers who bought the service, but the money, every penny was donated to the local food bank every year.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Did you check to see if your homeowner's policy has an endorsement for sewer line? I didn't pay attention to the amount, as the last few places I've lived in were new construction, but I recall there being line item for sewer line listed on my policy.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Did you check to see if your homeowner's policy has an endorsement for sewer line? I didn't pay attention to the amount, as the last few places I've lived in were new construction, but I recall there being line item for sewer line listed on my policy.

No I have not. One thing more to contact my agent about as I'm retiring in a little over three months and car insurance should be lowered at that time. Thank you.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long is the sewer line run from the house to the street? If under 100' I wouldn't bother with the warranty. My mom's house was built in 1953, she had an issue with the connection where the line connects to the cities (crack at joint and ficus roots grew into it), but the rest of the drain pipe was and is fine and it cost her $1200 to have it dug up in that spot and fixed. I own 2 properties built in 1966 and 1968 with no issues.....given the age of your house I'd skip the warranty.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
it cost her $1200 to have it dug up in that spot and fixed.

Was it 8' deep? Was the soil sand or hard clay?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
it cost her $1200 to have it dug up in that spot and fixed.

Was it 8' deep? Was the soil sand or hard clay?

About 7' deep, mostly sand mixed in with a lot of ficus hedge roots...... Let me tell you this, I surely wouldn't want to dig that hole with a shovel!!!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My sewer is original from 1926. Probably extra heavy cast iron to the curb trap, then terra cotta to the main. Never had a lick of trouble except briefly while the house was rented.

Some sewers seem to remain in perfect condition generation after generation. Other crack and crumble.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I work for a Northern Virginia County government and I am in charge of our water and sewer maintenance and construction. My email is in my profile, shoot me an email and I will give you my phone # and you can ask me all the questions you want. I would be more than happy too answer all you may have.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
I work for a Northern Virginia County government and I am in charge of our water and sewer maintenance and construction. My email is in my profile, shoot me an email and I will give you my phone # and you can ask me all the questions you want. I would be more than happy too answer all you may have.

^^^^
Take SSGT/USMC/Vet on his offer. Over the years on the forum and having been in the same position as him, I would trust what he has to say.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
My house was recently annexed into the city and they ran city sewers. Last year I was forced to abandon a perfectly good septic tank and connect to the city sewer. Cost me $2200 for 120' run of pvc sewer line and $900 for plumber to core drill the basement walls and connect the house. And now I get to pay $60 month sewer bills. Frown

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Our neighborhood has had several water lines break between the house and meter. The crews that fix the breaks have on average been slow to respond and leave a mess. It turns out the policies offered by the water company do not include restoring the yard. I reached out to a plumbing outfit and asked what it would cost to fix a broken line and was told $1400 - $2000 (short run). I have since dropped the water company policy. Thanks to the poster for mentioning home owners insurance. I am going to check our policy.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife wanted me to get a warranty and I keep putting it off. Just last week we got a letter from our homeowners insurance that they now offer underground utility coverage. $140 a year and now our electric, water, gas and sewer are all covered for 10k. The policy also included sewer line backups which I did not know was not covered before. I feel better with the homeowners coverage than the little card I get from the utility company.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses. The letter got put away for later consideration into the recycling bin.
In the past I would just trash those things without any consideration. But advancing age and its associated infirmities combined with making worry free for my wife if anything happens to me made me think and wonder if this would have been a good idea.

And yes, I get bombarded with car warranty offers along with service plans from out gas and electric utilities, those I ignore.

posted Hide Post
I read the fine print on the offer I received. So many exclusions. This type of insurance gas to be very profitable.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post