SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has your dentist dropped Delta dental insurance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has your dentist dropped Delta dental insurance? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
For years, we have used Delta for our dentists through the years, including cleanings, crowns, implants, etc. with good results. Late last year, our beloved dentist has discontinued Delta as an insurance provider. Lately, I have been doing a casual search in my local area for one (I need to have a crown done) and so far the three I have contacted say they don't accept Delta anymore. Delta is what my wife gets through her work, and it seems they are not switching out anytime soon.

Anybody else finding this with their own dentists/oral surgeons?

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not mine.

Delta dental insurance is so ubiquitous around here that I suspect that if a dentist in this area did drop Delta, they'd lose at least 75% of their clients.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Our dentist still accepts Delta dental.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
oddball - have you, by chance, asked your dentist, or the others you have reached out to, why they discontinued accepting Delta?

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I just switched to a new Dentist, and discovered he doesn't take Delta Dental. Sounds like one of those insurance companies that change their business model to the lowest ranking in insurance, otherwise known as shit insurance, where doctors don't get paid enough to bother with it. That's pretty low I'd imagine. I experienced it before, more than once over the years, with medical insurance, where they started out good, but went south and doctors start dropping them. So regarding Delta I don't know for sure, but my new independent dentist office doesn't contract with them. Prob because of exactly that reason, otherwise he would most likely.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8685 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
This happened to me about a year ago. The office didn’t inform me of this change until after my cleaning. They overcharged me as out of network, I got a refund months later from Delta Dental for like $30. Then I got a bill for $10 from the office.

I paid their bill and let them know that I would be switching my dentist to an office that accepted my insurance. They plead with me to do the out of network option and they’d work with me. I politely thanked them and declined.

I made sure that my new dentist knew why I left my previous one.

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
insurance companies that change their business model to the lowest ranking in insurance, otherwise known as shit insurance, where doctors don't get paid enough to bother with it. That's pretty low I'd imagine.

I do accounting & tax work for a private practice dentist. He stopped taking Delta insurance because he was losing money on all procedures. He did lose over 50% of his business but his net income has increased.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Not our dentist, but our medical group that provides dental insurance for retirees has switched from Delta Dental to MetLife Dental. Benefits are a little better for us; I of course don’t know how it affects the payments to dentists.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
oddball - have you, by chance, asked your dentist, or the others you have reached out to, why they discontinued accepting Delta?

My dentist simply said "we can't work with them anymore, they have become incredibly difficult".
The other dental offices I have contacted wouldn't elaborate, they just said sorry. But from what I see, it sounds like what wrightd described in his post. I just wanted to see if this was widespread, and not just specific to me locally. Monday, I will call further away from home, hopefully get reviews for those who take Delta.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a dentist but can tell you it has to do with allowable charges and trouble getting paid. Suddenly paying less and then losing the bill or requiring preauthorization. Insurance companies. If you can make more with a different company and they actually pay those are the companies you deal with. The dentist should inform you ahead of time. The insurance company often fails to list network dentists making it look like they have a robust network.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I just pay my dentist. So simple.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
My dentist stopped taking all insurance about 1.5 yrs ago. She'll submit your bill to your insurer for you, but you pay cash or credit card on your way out the door. If your insurer covers anything, you get a check from your insurer a few weeks later. She's busy (or popular) enough that she just doesn't need to deal with getting paid what insurers feel like she should get paid. Seems to be working, as she just took on a partner and has hired some more staff.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three months ago I asked my longtime dentist if I should get insurance and he said I had already had most of the work done. Now I am looking at about $3500 in a root canal and two crowns. I have always "just paid the dentist" but the charges are pretty (make that really) steep. $3500 translates into four very nice handguns or one very nice quarter horse all for about two plus hours of work.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Yes, our dentist we've seen for the past ten years dropped Delta. Delta's reimbursements are comically low for the providers. I completely understand why Dentists are dropping them.

We were fortunate to find another practice in The Woodlands that still accepts Delta.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have never had dental insurance. I did see a note at my dentist's office a couple of weeks ago that they will no longer take Delta.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Yes. I had to switch dentists last year but it's getting hard to find one who takes it.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Yes, mine went out of network with all insurance providers. They still file for me, but it's considerably more expensive as it's out of network.

I'm kind of torn. Part of me wants to find a new dentist that takes the insurance, but I really like my dentist so I've stuck with him so far.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
They suck, had to go a county over to find a dentist who takes it. Previous dentist I used said they’re difficult to work with.

I am going to complain to our HR and see if we can go with another carrier.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
My employer uses Delta and is the largest employer in the state after the fed/state government. It would not be very smart for a provider to stop taking Delta around here.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
If Delta pays so little that the dentist loses money, then it wouldn't be very smart to keep accepting Delta. If a dentist is established and not paying off mountains of debt, they can afford to make less on certain patients just to keep with those insurers. But when every dollar counts, giving away your services is not a good longterm plan. And no provider's overhead goes down just because an insurance company decides to pay less for a procedure.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post