SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USMC Infantry Officer Course lowers requirement for hikes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USMC Infantry Officer Course lowers requirement for hikes Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The test should be if missy can carry a 20 pound bag of potatoes from the store to the car and the car to the house and make french fries out of them, to go with our damn sandwiches.

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
And with that ^^^ the wife is wondering why I'm laughing out loud pointing at the computer! Big Grin Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And my GI days being long past, I have to ask:
Who in hell wants to hump 100+ pounds for long distances?
I know the common loadout these days is very heavy, but 100 pounds?
Hey, Marines! How about it? Are you really humping 100 pounds on day to day operations?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Hey, Marines! How about it? Are you really humping 100 pounds on day to day operations?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sustainment loadout for 4-5 patrol could be 70lbs....plus armor and ammo, yup 105 is easy. Now this is not an DA loadout, which could still edge close to 50lbs....i.e. armor, ammo, water....

We have been overloading our troops for 20 years....even light infantry ain't light anymore.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Hikes? Do they go hiking in the mountains?

Used to be Marches, Heck Forced Marches now they go hiking.

We always called it Humping.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:

A friend of mine was with 10th Mountain Division(Army) back in the late 80's early 90's. 10th Mountain is a Light Infantry Division, which is a bit of a misnomer. He told me back then that their ruck alone was 90-100lbs. That doesn't count weapons load out and other crap. There's a reason light infantry guys look like frogs. Average upper body and huge legs and asses. Those dude know how to hump.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We always had vehicles on my 2 tours, so patrolling with just our armor, weapon, ammo etc. rucks in the vehicles.

Our "light infantry" training load rucks were typically 60-70 lbs plus weapon, load bearing gear and ammo. So, plus armor, the training load becomes 105 lb of total gear pretty quick.

I've commonly heard combat loaded rucks at 90-100 lbs.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Yes, given the hand grenade standard degradation and the long-distance ground movement standard degradation, it sure looks like we are moving the standards away from Sergeant Rock and toward Pussy Boy. And, yes, the assertion that it's to make success more attainable by women seems the most likely reason.

But that leaves begging the question of "How can this be happening under the watch of Mattis and Trump?"

Are they asleep at the switch? What's going on with that?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a lowering of standards to get more women Infantry Officers plain and simple. Same thing happened in Police departments starting in the late 70’s..

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
100+ pounds over a multi-day patrol is not uncommon. I was 10th MTN and never got the "light" part of Light Infantry. Some guys had the attitude "pack light, shiver at night."

You can only cut out so much stuff you have to carry. To cut weight, I would:

"rat fuck" the MREs
take a little less ammo-5 mags instead of 7
take a little less water-7 bottles a day instead of 8
no sleeping bag or take the summer bag only
wear the same undershirt for a week

Old saying we used was "ounces equals pounds and pounds equals pain."

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am now better informed. I am a volunteer with a local rescue group and often carry a pack set up for the purpose. It weighs about 15 pounds and gives me "ruck neck" after about an hour. I cant even imagine 100+ pounds!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am now better informed. I am a volunteer with a local rescue group and often carry a pack set up for the purpose. It weighs about 15 pounds and gives me "ruck neck" after about an hour. I cant even imagine 100+ pounds!

For a guy like me who hovers between 140-152, 100+ pounds really hurts after getting back to the FOB/COP. Especially after you've been out and moving your patrol bases for a week.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post