SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a lawn mower - what do I want?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a lawn mower - what do I want? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have a Honda HRR216PDA push model for my 1/4 acre, for 12+ years now. I change oil, clean air filter, and sharpen blade yearly, maybe change plug too. Never had any mechanical issues with it. A little rust on the steel deck is worst part.

If grass is really high using mulching, it will leave a small trail on right rear wheel if you walk too fast. No trails with bagging.

I'll probably go battery if/when it ever dies.

P229R - 9mm
Kahr PM9

Posts: 58 | Location: Pocono Mountains, PA | Registered: April 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
Always had great luck with our Honda mower.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I will once again dissent the common opinion of Honda. I needed a new mower and didn't want to spend the $1200 on a Toro commercial 21" for the two tiny lawns that I mow. Everyone always says Honda Honda Honda so I grabbed a sub $500 version at Home Depot fully realizing it's a homeowner model. Double blades, easy start. I do admit it did start easily but the cut quality wasn't passable at all. It left a row of clippings by the left rear tire. Total garbage. I disassembled it, kept the engine and threw the rest away. Wasted money, lesson learned. You'd really have to not care about how your lawn looks to use a Honda mower.

It was either you got a lemon or the $500 ones don't cut like the $1200 ones because mine cuts the grass very well and leaves nothing behind.

And that line "You'd really have to not care about how your lawn looks to use a Honda mower" is complete bullshit man. You're bashing ALL Hondas off of the ONE bad experience you had? C'mon now. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You want inexpensive, Harbor Freight has inexpensive

While an EGO will be $700 you can get an electric self propelled with bagger walk behind for $269.00, tool only. Even less if you don't want the self propelled... $199.00 plus 80v battery is $119 plus $70 for the rapid charger. still less than EGO...

Link

Echo, Kobalt, Ryobi, Greenworks, Black and Decker and Makita all have cordless electric mowers.

Lowes and Home Desperate have them, I'd check out the models see which one you like, and the warranty, replacement batteries are not free, then again, neither is gas and oil...

Whatever you get, choose the accessories to go with it in that line, if you choose EGO then get the EGO Blower and Trimmer, that way with each new purchase you get another charger and battery and all can be swapped between the units. You can spread the use over the batteries vs just having one.

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I bought a Honda 21" off of Marketplace or Craigslist from someone moving out of state.
They work great, start on one pull and mulch laves or any other vegetation well.
The mulching works so well I never use the bagger.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 0.02.

A 21" self propelled is where you want to be. 5-6.5 hp class (160-190cc) will take care of almost any length grass without bogging down.

I would stay away from battery powered. Batteries do not last. In 5 years, you will need to get new ones. Talk about sticker shock. For example replacing tje batteries on a Milwaukee will run more than 500 bucks.

I have never had a gas lawnmower last <10yrs. I currently have 3 with Briggs engines. Newest one is 15 yrs old all start in 1 or 2 pulls.

For a residential mower, there is no reason to spend 2x for a Honda mower.

Just get something with a briggs engine. If it breaks in 10 years you will still be able to get parts. And when your $300 mower rusts out in 10-20 years, call it a good 30/year value and get a new one.

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Fiskars reel-type push mower that I’ll give you if you come up this way; I hated the damn thing. I bought a used Honda mower from a lawn service company that realized a 21” mower just wasn’t efficient for a professional lawn service. I don’t love it because the safety bar that must be held back against the handle tends to pinch if you don’t wear gloves. I also don’t like the fact that if the safety bar is engaged, so is the blade, you can’t run the mower from the shed to the area you want to cut without the blade turning. Otherwise, it mulches or bags and works like a champ.

Posts: 13275 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honda! Once I had a problem but it was bad gas. Repair facility said use real gas- do not use gas/ethanol mix. Problem solved.

Posts: 104 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have been happy with my 7 year old Toro 22" Pacer. The Briggs and Stratton motor blew up the first summer that I had it. Now I must admit that I bought this mower at Home Depot, but I took it to a local dealer known for his exceptional service work. He dealt with Briggs & Stratton directly, and they replaced the motor with a new one, and paid the dealers labor to replace it, at no cost to me. It's been a great mower since then. Moral lesson learned, I have since bought a Stihl battery line trimmer from him, as well as a Stihl gas edger from him. Buy local.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I currently have a used mower I found on Craigslist about 4 years ago. I'm told it is from the early 1980's. 21" Snapper with a B&S 3.5hp engine. It is marked as commercial heavy duty.

I had very tall grass, at least 9", in an area of my yard. Synthetic oil, E0 pure gas, new blade, highest setting, even with side chute stopping every 5ft or so to let it clear debris from inside of the deck. Does a decent job for knocking down the height.

My neighbor calls it "The Indestructable".

On lowest setting, cutting normal height grass, it cuts very well!

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
I will once again dissent the common opinion of Honda. I needed a new mower and didn't want to spend the $1200 on a Toro commercial 21" for the two tiny lawns that I mow. Everyone always says Honda Honda Honda so I grabbed a sub $500 version at Home Depot fully realizing it's a homeowner model. Double blades, easy start. I do admit it did start easily but the cut quality wasn't passable at all. It left a row of clippings by the left rear tire. Total garbage. I disassembled it, kept the engine and threw the rest away. Wasted money, lesson learned. You'd really have to not care about how your lawn looks to use a Honda mower.

It was either you got a lemon or the $500 ones don't cut like the $1200 ones because mine cuts the grass very well and leaves nothing behind.

And that line "You'd really have to not care about how your lawn looks to use a Honda mower" is complete bullshit man. You're bashing ALL Hondas off of the ONE bad experience you had? C'mon now. Roll Eyes
wait until you hear my opinion of Speed Queen. Smile

It wasn't a lemon because i tried a friend's Honda. It did the same thing. He said he just deals with the row of clippings. I wasn't willing to deal with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I also don’t like the fact that if the safety bar is engaged, so is the blade, you can’t run the mower from the shed to the area you want to cut without the blade turning.
They make a version with a clutch which adds a little over $100.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
I also don’t like the fact that if the safety bar is engaged, so is the blade, you can’t run the mower from the shed to the area you want to cut without the blade turning.
My next 21" will definitely have a clutch. Even though my 18 year old Toro starts with one pull, it's still annoying to restart it if you have to let go of the handle to grab a stick or move a dog lead.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
My next 21" will definitely have a clutch. Even though my 18 year old Toro starts with one pull, it's still annoying to restart it if you have to let go of the handle to grab a stick or move a dog lead.
A velcro cable tie to defeat the auto-shutoff works just fine. Duct tape would probably work too, if a little more cumbersome.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Honda. Mine is about 7 years old now. Still works great. Self propelled and can mulch or bag.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well with 54 suggestions, have you made your choice?

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Trust me, get a Honda

I have the HRX-217 with the Hydrostatic Drive and it’s been great

Right now I’m paying for a guy to come cut the grass because I’m just so busy trying to raise 3 little kids but this fall I’ll be using it to bag leaves then next year I’m back to cutting my own grass.

This thing doesn’t just mulch the grass, it PURÉES it! Also has an awesome bagging system if you like to bag, I blow my leaves into big piles then use the Honda with bagger to suck them up and chop them fine, then I dispose of.

It wasn’t cheap at around $1200 but it’s been worth every penny and I know it will last me forever.

Honda HRX Mowers

I agree with this, mine has done well.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm running a composite deck Honda from the mid-1990's that was purchased new from HD from a good friend.

Other than replacing the bag a couple times, basic maintenance and whatnot, it has done me right.

No qualms about buying another.

My dad still has an early 1960's Toro Whirlwind side bagger with a crank starter that's still ticking.......

Posts: 924 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Battery. Minimum maintenance. No oil nor spark plug to change. No fuel to buy and store.

We have an EGo self-propelled, happy with it, others might be just as good.
I agree,for a lot that small go with battery power.Good luck.

Posts: 95 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Husqvarna HU800H 22” with a Honda GCV160 engine to cut a 3/8 acre yard for the last 10 years. It always starts on 1 or 2 pulls. I let it mulch, no grass trails left behind. When it dies, I will probably get whatever their current model is that replaced this one.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post