SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carbon steel seasoningk
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carbon steel seasoningk Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have a lodge cast iron skillet that is working great. completely non-stick. works great.

I recently got a couple of carbon steel pans (8" and 10"). Lodge again. I seasoned basically like I did for the cast iron skillet.

The carbon steel pans are working okay - nothing sticks hard but things do stick - like the maillard layer comes off the food.

Does it take longer for proper seasoning on carbon steel pans? Is a different method required? Or will it just not attain the same level of non-stick as cast iron?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I did 7 layers of peanut oil. VERY thin layers. I smoke a new layer on every time I clean them.

After around 10 uses or so, they're just starting to be decent at non-stick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I used this method, and did both sides on my two misen pans

https://youtu.be/IYu6iHVQvPY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Field method of seasoning on my 2 carbon steel pans. Both have worked great although the deBuyer took longer.
Clean you pan or skillet if it's dirty. If it's not, you can start right away.
Heat your oven to 215°f. When it reaches temp put your pan in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, take it out and put whatever oil you want on it. I use grapeseed. Light layer.
Turn your oven up to 300°f. When it reaches temp put your pan back in for another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, pull you pan back out and wipe of any excess oil. You want to barely see a shine on your pan.
Turn the oven up to 415°f. When it reaches temp, back in the oven for 1 hour. After an hour, turn the oven off but leave your pan in until it's cool.
Repeat a few times and you're golden.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
My carbon steel took much longer than my cast iron to become "non-stick". Stay patient.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I used a method very similar to joatmonv.

Good to know that C steel takes longer to be properly seasoned. I'll keep at it. That wasn't the impression I had but it's what I seem to be experiencing.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay. It's much better seasoned now. Still not 100% confident as my cast iron but it seems to be cooking much better now.

Question: for the mini-maintenance seasonings (after cooking and cleaning, wipe with crisco and then heat up the pan until smoking) - do you stop heating just when the pan starts to smoke? Or after it smokes for a bit? Or after it stops smoking?

Right now, I heat until it starts smoking. Then wait 15 seconds. Then flip the pan over (cooking surface facing the burner), Count 30 seconds. Then flip back over again, count 15 seconds and stop. It's still smoking when I turn off the heat.

I guess I still don't know conceptually what's building the seasoning layers....