SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone here make custom screws?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here make custom screws? Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
I have been searching for months for a mounting screw for a Parker Hale PH5B sight for my P14 Remington. Nobody has one. I was able to get the dimensions/measurements for the screw. Anyone here able to make one for me?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There used to be a guy named Scott Stonehill who made custom screws for old collectible rifles under the business name Evans Obsolete Screws. He's retired now, but apparently still does small jobs here and there. If you Google that business name, you can find some forum posts with his email address, and reach out to inquire.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue!

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Can you post those dimensions here?

Posts: 9512 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Can you post those dimensions here?

I sure can!

-Bomber Harris

posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who is a retired ma
chinist. I can ask what he wants to make your screw. Let me know if you're interested.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
That is a very easy job for any machine shop, but many either won’t take small jobs like that or will charge a hefty per-job setup fee that would make the per-screw cost astronomical.

Most of the job could easily be done by any half-decent hobbyist with a lathe tucked away in their garage.

The threads are a bit more involved. You can’t cut threads right up to a shoulder like that with standard dies. You might not actually have to, depending on how the rest of the assembly goes together, but if it really needs to be that way, the threads would typically need to be cut on a lathe, which is outside the equipment capability and/or expertise of many hobbyists. You can kinda-sorta get there by grinding a second die down past the starting ramps, but that requires basically ruining a fairly expensive tool.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy that made tiny bolt/screw/nut orders for serious model railroad hobbyists. He showed me a 10,000 unit order he had just finished, that barely filled a 3# coffee can.

He's long gone now, but the notion is perhaps there are more potential sources for such a project, if your current contact list isn't productive. Good luck.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pillboxesghost:
chinist. I can ask what he wants to make your screw. Let me know if you're interested.

I am definitely interested, thank you!

-Bomber Harris

The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
Try emailing Tacfoley. Maybe he can find one in merry olde England.

o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send me an email, I have Scott's email.

Also, there are a number of PH mounting screws shipping out of the UK on eBay most days.

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mark Novak just posted an Anvil yesterday about making a similar screw with a shoulder to keep from squishing the trigger….the trigger pivots on the screw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulsIH52edMk

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
That is a very easy job for any machine shop, but many either won’t take small jobs like that or will charge a hefty per-job setup fee that would make the per-screw cost astronomical.

Most of the job could easily be done by any half-decent hobbyist with a lathe tucked away in their garage.

The threads are a bit more involved. You can’t cut threads right up to a shoulder like that with standard dies. You might not actually have to, depending on how the rest of the assembly goes together, but if it really needs to be that way, the threads would typically need to be cut on a lathe, which is outside the equipment capability and/or expertise of many hobbyists. You can kinda-sorta get there by grinding a second die down past the starting ramps, but that requires basically ruining a fairly expensive tool.

if you have the lathe, and know the thread pitch (and how to set that pitch up on your lathe) you will just need to make a tool to cut the threads,

simple threads are relatively easy, some of the English stuff, and Whitworth or Acme or double Acme can be a bit more difficult,

I used to know how, but it's been 25+ yrs since I took a Machine Shop class at the local CC,

so, if your local CC has a machine shop classes,, go ask the instructor,

it would make a good lesson for the students, and we (I was in a small night class of about 8) did many small projects as lessons that the instructor used to barter for other materials etc,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Send me an email, I have Scott's email.

Also, there are a number of PH mounting screws shipping out of the UK on eBay most days.

Email sent. I've been checking UK Ebay for months with no success. Even asking sellers if they have any [Seems these are Unicorn farts].

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Is it something like this ... ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313011925048

https://store.centuryarms.com/...-sight-bolt-nos.html

Those go from end to end of the receiver sight ears. My sight mounts outside of the ears, so they are too short.

-Bomber Harris

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
Originally posted by pillboxesghost:

I am definitely interested, thank you!

He's out of town this weekend. I'll show him your drawings early next week and let you know what he says.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's out of town this weekend. I'll show him your drawings early next week and let you know what he says.

Thanks!

-Bomber Harris

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Years (well, decades) ago I was a buyer for General Electric in charge of buying screws, bolts etc. for one of their plants.

To be sure you get what you want in a custom screw, in addition to the dimensions in your sketch, you'd preferably also want to know what type of metal, finish, type of thread, thread pitch, head dimensions, head type (Philips, slotted, hex, etc.) etc.

Looks like you've explored availability of the screw as a spare part. Is it possible to buy a beat-up sight to get parts off of? If so, I'd suggest exploring that option, so you have something to compare with the cost of getting one custom screw made.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were you able to get in touch with Scott?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post